Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 07:28 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,190,026 times

Advertisements

Even if you don't agree with the choices that were made in the past by the elderly, respect the fact that they are old and often have mobility issues that cause them pain and suffering on a daily basis.

One day, you will be old too, and you may not be in the same shape you are in today. Remember that when you address the elderly.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:55 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,348,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
I've noticed a fair amount of old people acting entitled. Many people also give them an excuse for their bad behavior or demanding attitudes, just because they are old. This may start around age 65 or so, but really takes hold in the 70s.

Do you think this is acceptable? It seems a lot of people think it's fine, just because they are old.
They will say they have earned the "right" - but do you really know they've "earned" it? And is selfishness, rudeness, and a demanding attitude ever a "right"?

Outside of family, I cannot see why any older person has any claim on someone younger having to do anything special for them, outside of basic human respect you give to someone at any age.

People often seem to think old people deserve more help; yet I've seen many well-off & capable old people taking advantage of those less well-off who are younger, and it's deemed acceptable because of their ages. There are things like senior discounts also, given with the assumption that retirement shrinks your budget, yet lot of old people are more comfortably situated than the younger generations who struggle to make ends meet in this economy.

There is also the notion that older people are more wise. After encountering so many prejudiced, racist, bigoted, sexist, trite, and just plain stupid old people, I have trouble buying this. It seems to me wisdom & maturity is not an automatic development with age, and a fair amount of young people show more insight than some old people. But many old people have a sense of entitlement & importance because of this idea - their thoughts & words & perspectives & stories are supposed to be given more weight than other people's, no matter how cliche, dull or warped.

What is your take on this? Do we generally treat old people fairly, or do they get a lot of unjust favoritism?
Do you see their attitudes & behaviors reflecting entitlement towards this favoritism?
What a lovely thread. Since I'm nearing entitlement age I think I'll print this and put it some obscure place I won't remember and then yell at my kids or the nearest wise and caring young person when I can't find it.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:26 AM

1,187 posts, read 2,394,747 times
I'm really sick of this current generation of old people. They just won't keep quiet and mind their manners. And they write checks at the grocery checkout line because they never figured out how to use a bank card. They should be summarily shot so to put them and everyone else out of their respective miseries. Either that or just have one checkout line for oldy moldly check writing entitled Depends-wearing q-tips. So rude. Add to that they brought this country to it's knees with endless wars, pollution, crappy music and now, Donald Trump. They voted for him not just because they are entitled to think like old people who believe he will Make America Grate Again, they obviously are blind and deaf too because if they could see and hear, they'd have not voted for The Puppet. So now that they have their SCROTUS, they are acting even crankier than ever because they realize that dementia is not a good characteristic for a president, and that said, he's no Ronald Reagan. If you are too old to think rationally, you should self-deport to the hereafter so the rest of us can get our country back. Sad. In fact if you don't think this ^^^ was sarcastic and/or funny, YOU ARE OLD and in the way.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:01 AM

854 posts, read 520,710 times
I don't know. I just wish they'd stop bashing the millennial generation because they call us 'entitled' too and it bugs the crap out of me. I know it must be difficult for those elderly people that are alone and socially isolated. I feel for them. I don't think I'd want to get old.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:12 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,648,319 times
No one owes anyone a darn thing.

If you earned it great, such as social security which I've paid into for 45 years. I've earned money and saved it for my elder years.

No one owes you:

housing
internet
utilities
food
cars
phones
a college education

and on and on. You earn it. You are not entitled to these things.

Don't want to earn it? Live under a bridge, beg on the street corner, whatever. I should not have to pay for anyone's necessities or lifestyle.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:39 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,953,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
one reason why older people act "entitled" or say what they want when they want and just dont care, is because they are otherwise ignored by the younger people. in the old days, the older people were always revered because we have life experience and wisdom that we can pass on to younger people, at least to those that are willing to listen.

granted we didnt grow up with video games, and cell phones, and computers, and a lot fo the other crap that kids have today from birth it seems, so we had to make do with what we had. if we needed to make a phone call, we actually had to find a PAY phone and put coins in, and use a rotary dial.

so if you see these elderly people, be nice to them, remember your parents and grand parents are rather elderly, and they might want some respect from the people around them that are younger.
This.

I haven't seen any millennial yet who knows how to work a slide-rule, either.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
No one owes anyone a darn thing.

If you earned it great, such as social security which I've paid into for 45 years. I've earned money and saved it for my elder years.

No one owes you:

housing
internet
utilities
food
cars
phones
a college education

and on and on. You earn it. You are not entitled to these things.

Don't want to earn it? Live under a bridge, beg on the street corner, whatever. I should not have to pay for anyone's necessities or lifestyle.
How is this relevant?

You do know that the generation before yours paid for your entitlement too, I hope.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Cat-Lady View Post
How is this relevant?

You do know that the generation before yours paid for your entitlement too, I hope.
I earned the money I have in my savings/401. I involuntarily paid into Social security for 45 years. I do NOT consider this an "entitlement".

If I have it, I earned it.

My opinion. It may not be "relevant" to you, but it is to me.

Old 02-16-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I earned the money I have in my savings/401. I involuntarily paid into Social security for 45 years. I do NOT consider this an "entitlement".

If I have it, I earned it.

My opinion. It may not be "relevant" to you, but it is to me.
My point is that the generation before you paid for you to have those things, not just your own hard work. Otherwise you'd just have whatever you saved for retirement, which most likely wouldn't be enough. Meanwhile people of my generation will most likely be unable to retire as early as you. We all live in a society and taking care of people who need it should be seen as rights, not entitlements anyway

Old 02-16-2017, 12:31 PM

You can have the last word, Crazy-Cat-Lady. I don't need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology