Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2016, 01:01 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
As for getting soft, etc. - to an extent, and to an extent it's cultural, but there is also the fact that as I said above, we live in artificially close quarters and yes, that will be much more intrusive, and make everything more offensive (including odors), than if we lived in smaller "tribes." Sure, how "smelly" a person can "appropriately" be varies from culture to culture but there are limits, IMO. Saying anything but artificial smells are acceptable, given these facts, is pretty much hyperbole.
I was once on an airplane near someone whose BO made my eyes water. I can't imagine that was just me being "soft."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 01:10 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,981,936 times
Well, I know people who send their dogs -- even cats -- off to the groomer to be bathed and perfumed; totally unnecessarily, in my view. My pets smell like, well, my pets; not terrible (unless there's been some mishap), but not like a bouquet of roses either. They aren't supposed to... Different strokes!

Old 04-20-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I was once on an airplane near someone whose BO made my eyes water. I can't imagine that was just me being "soft."
Likewise, cloying perfume and cologne can make your eyes water and even trigger an asthma attack.

Old 04-20-2016, 02:31 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Likewise, cloying perfume and cologne can make your eyes water and even trigger an asthma attack.
Which still leaves showering and actually being clean (v. either ignoring the shower because it's "soooo unnatural!" or swinging the other way and being dirty and dousing ourselves with fake scent) as the best option given we must live in a society and we are forcing others to be near us (and we are forced to be near them). N'est-ce pas?

It really seems pretty simple to me. Am I overlooking something?

Old 04-20-2016, 06:47 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,176,780 times
This thread reminds me of a story I heard years ago; some people I know told that they were working in a small room with a woman who refused to wear deodorant - apparently she felt artificial fragrances/deodorant caused cancer, so she didn't wear any - she was also obviously against wearing perfume.

Anyway, everyone in the room was hot & sweating, and this woman stunk the place up. I'm glad I wasn't there!

Quote:
Well, I know people who send their dogs -- even cats -- off to the groomer to be bathed and perfumed; totally unnecessarily, in my view. My pets smell like, well, my pets; not terrible (unless there's been some mishap), but not like a bouquet of roses either. They aren't supposed to... Different strokes!

Yeah, it depends on the pet. Cats keep themselves clean so wouldn't necessarily need to be sent anywhere to be cleaned. Dogs, however, can really stink sometimes.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:58 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post

Yeah, it depends on the pet. Cats keep themselves clean so wouldn't necessarily need to be sent anywhere to be cleaned. Dogs, however, can really stink sometimes.
This is one of many reasons I couldn't have a dog. I think they're precious, loving, smart, emotional/caring, but the stink, well...just no. And I wouldn't want to torture the poor beast by sending it to the salon to be sprayed with water and scented bubbles and get its nails done constantly just so it could be deodorized enough for my nose. So it's cats for me. Their box would be smelly, but I scoop it all the time so...there ya go. (And yes, I do test that all the time by taking a deep whiff re-entering the house after being out of it for a period of time...that "noseblind" thing is no joke.)

Old 04-21-2016, 01:56 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,305,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakealope View Post
My 23 year old niece won't bathe or shower on a regular basis. She takes a shower about every 5 or 6 days and at times she smells pretty bad. I've run into men or boys who won't bathe, but I don't think I've ever run into a girl in her 20's who won't bathe. Is this a sign of some other problem? I think this is very strange behavior.

I don't typically reply to topics with so many pages of posts, but I guess I find this one too interesting to resist.

It can be a sign of depression but not necessarily. She may simply just not care (and there IS a difference).

She could get away with this if she at least took a soapy rag to certain places daily to avoid stench. Sounds like she doesn't. And for most people hair starts smelling bad in that many days, too.

My parents were Europeans who didn't regularly either, but they cleaned important areas daily and they never "stank".

Old 04-22-2016, 10:39 AM

Well, in Europe, they have the ingenious bidet to clean the only parts that really require daily cleaning.

Europe: smarter in every way!

Old 04-22-2016, 11:39 AM

48 posts, read 44,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
It can be a sign of depression. Another clue is wearing black colors.

Lol. I wore black BEFORE I was depressed, thank you very much. But now that I am, it's nice to have a wardrobe that matches. ;-)

I am being facetious. I have a mostly back wardrobe because it is practical. Everything matches! All I need to worry about are accessories.

Old 04-22-2016, 05:51 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,285,969 times
Quote:
People don't need to bathe every day, and they surely don't need to shampoo every day. Nor do you have to launder your clothes after one wearing. Americans are so neurotic about this!
Sorry, but I DO need to shampoo everyday. Everyone's hair is different, so I don't know how you can make a blanket statement like that. If I don't wash mine, it is extremely oily about half-way through the day and I can't stand it. I have some friends who have very dry hair that can't be washed more than maybe twice a week. It's different for all of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology