Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 12:26 PM

714 posts, read 748,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
Do you ever sit by yourself at a 4 seater table when there are plenty of 2 seater tables around? Cause that's what I always see, there's a whole bunch of 2 seater tables and only a very few 4 seater tables, and some loner will sit at one of the 4 seater tables and take it up, so that those of us with larger parties have to stand and wait or split up. When there's plenty of smaller tables you can take. Arg, drives me crazy.

But I bet you don't even notice the size of the table you sit at, or how many of that size there are? Right? It doesn't even occur to you that it's even a thing, right?

That's how everyone else feels sitting near you. They don't notice, or realize it's a thing. They are just sitting at a table to eat with no regards to you or your desires, because no one really cares. And why should they? You don't care about their preferences either, right?

Well, you see, it doesn't matter what table he picks when there is no one else in the restaurant as the OP very clearly described.

Before coming into forums just to bash people, maybe try some reading comprehension exercises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 02:13 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,819,900 times
I was at a pizza place one time, alone, in a booth. Entire place was empty. Lo and behold, and old lady sits in the booth next to me FACING ME. She stared at me for awhile, unblinking, then started to help me chew each bite. Absolutely either oblivious or demented.

Old 07-30-2015, 02:17 PM

698 posts, read 588,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
This is a pet peeve of mine. Almost always without fail, when I go alone to an empty or near empty fast casual food establishment I sit in an obscure, empty corner by myself.

Then, out of nowhere, another patron by themselves or a family decide to sit directly in front of me or next to me making face contact even though they had the entire restaurant to choose a table from. I don't sit near the registers either, they had to walk out of there way to get close to my table.

When this happens, I usually get up and go to another table. Same thing if I am in an empty movie theater.

So what is more concerning, the folks who go out of there way to sit right next to a stranger or someone like me disgusted by the act and relocates?

Edit: This just happened again as soon as I posted this. Empty McDonald's, someone decides to sit directly in front me making face contact. I'm moving.

I wonder what would happen if I decide to stare at them, maybe they would feel uncomfortable enough to move.
If dogs start telling you to kill people, please seek help.

Old 07-30-2015, 03:17 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,086,646 times
I know how you feel. Sadly, most people respond to herd instincts and will naturally crowd together. I can say this because I'm like you; you're the oddball. It's your job to move if you don't want company.

Old 07-30-2015, 04:13 PM

870 posts, read 1,570,833 times
I know how you feel OP. The same thing happens at the gym too. Why do they have to the pick the elliptical right next to me when there empty ones at the other end?

Old 07-30-2015, 04:32 PM

22,475 posts, read 12,014,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
This is a pet peeve of mine. Almost always without fail, when I go alone to an empty or near empty fast casual food establishment I sit in an obscure, empty corner by myself.

Then, out of nowhere, another patron by themselves or a family decide to sit directly in front of me or next to me making face contact even though they had the entire restaurant to choose a table from. I don't sit near the registers either, they had to walk out of there way to get close to my table.

When this happens, I usually get up and go to another table. Same thing if I am in an empty movie theater.

So what is more concerning, the folks who go out of there way to sit right next to a stranger or someone like me disgusted by the act and relocates?

Edit: This just happened again as soon as I posted this. Empty McDonald's, someone decides to sit directly in front me making face contact. I'm moving.

I wonder what would happen if I decide to stare at them, maybe they would feel uncomfortable enough to move.
This happened to us a while back.

We went to eat in a restaurant where you order your food at the counter, then they bring it to you. At the time, we were the only ones dining in and it wasn't a busy time of day. Two men came in, ordered their food and sat right next to us.

What concerns me when people do that is sometimes they're looking to steal from you. Most people, when put in that situation, tend to just stay where they are because they didn't want to appear rude. Next thing they know, they discover that their purse or some packages have gone missing.

I just don't get it. When the place is empty and there are lots of available places to sit, why not spread out?

Old 07-30-2015, 06:46 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,325,352 times
I find it weird when people do that. One thing I REALLY hate is if I'm alone at a 2-person table and they say, "Do you mind if I sit here?"

No, if I say, "Yes, I do mind." I'll probably come off as a b*tch, so I feel coerced into saying yes. I then make sure to leave within a few minutes.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:52 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,294,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
...This also reminds me of a situation I observed, and posted about:

Not switching to an empty seat -- rude?

It's not exactly the same situation, because the two people were seated together when the train was initially crowded; but then the man did not move when most of the other passengers got off, and a bunch of empty seats had become available.
So far as a bus/train... I would not move to an empty seat, if the rest of the bus/train became empty, unless I wanted to sit sideways and stretch my legs. Or the person I was sitting next to was undesirable for some reason - smelled, whatever.

Also depends on how much further I had to go before getting off the bus/train. If not too far, then I would not move. If a real long distance, then I might move.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:53 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,354,244 times
I've wondered the same over the past 10+ years. If I head anywhere , and am content with my own company , it's like a million others suddenly descend upon the same place. I understand if it is the only establishment for some blocks , but there are 4 similar businesses within a block. Similar happenstances have occurred on transit , on supposedly deserted highways late at night , I can't name them all. It is a herd mentality , but damn!! Not everyone wants to share their personal space/time with Earth's population.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:14 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,625,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
I was at a pizza place one time, alone, in a booth. Entire place was empty. Lo and behold, and old lady sits in the booth next to me FACING ME. She stared at me for awhile, unblinking, then started to help me chew each bite. Absolutely either oblivious or demented.
Sounds like a scene from an M. Night Shyamalan movie. Creepy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology