Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 06:19 AM

305 posts, read 723,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I guess the term "not college material" has fallen out of favor these days...

9 times out of 10, not college material means burger flipping for the rest of your life, figuring out how to survive in a 1 bedroom apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 06:40 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,621,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
Ignore this type of post, for starters.

Most people with ADD/ADHD or autism are very bright. Judging from the way that you write, you are intelligent as well. Just this one skill alone is enough to help you. Please don't give up- keep fighting.

[snip]
Wow, how about ignore THIS type of post, for starters!

Sorry to say, there is no correlation between either ADD or autism and high intelligence. Neither causes the others, nor is it associated with them. Someone can be one, two or all three of these, in any amount.

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-03-2015 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: Off-topic and orphaned.

Old 09-03-2015, 06:42 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,747,353 times
If you are in to gaming, take a look at a website called Twitch. People live stream their gaming sessions and if they are good at it people actually pay to subscribe to their channel. Some people make hundreds of dollars a session, although I'm guessing that is not the norm. If that's what you're good at then maybe see if you can make it a revenue generator.

Old 09-03-2015, 06:46 AM

305 posts, read 723,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
If you are in to gaming, take a look at a website called Twitch. People live stream their gaming sessions and if they are good at it people actually pay to subscribe to their channel. Some people make hundreds of dollars a session, although I'm guessing that is not the norm. If that's what you're good at then maybe see if you can make it a revenue generator.

I know twitch TV. The Problem is that a very small amount of people make a decent income from streaming. It's usually the top streamers who make money. I doubt I'll get an income from them.

Old 09-03-2015, 06:54 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
9 times out of 10, not college material means burger flipping for the rest of your life, figuring out how to survive in a 1 bedroom apartment.
So you COULD get a job, but you don't want SOME jobs ... .

And trying to "survive" in a 1-bedroom apartment? What's wrong with that??

Old 09-03-2015, 07:34 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,621,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
So you COULD get a job, but you don't want SOME jobs ... .

And trying to "survive" in a 1-bedroom apartment? What's wrong with that??
I could be wrong, but I think the OP means that WITH the burger flipping job that they MAY be able to get, they still won't be able to afford a one bedroom apartment, the smallest apartment that they can imagine.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:45 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
I could be wrong, but I think the OP means that WITH the burger flipping job that they MAY be able to get, they still won't be able to afford a one bedroom apartment, the smallest apartment that they can imagine.
I hope so.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:46 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
I am a high-level autistic, socially awkward and tend to be argumentative/persuasive (always hard to gauge which) with management, though I have the gift of being able to swallow my pride, work hard and perform well. I also, like you, game quite a lot. I have over 10,000 achievement points in World of Warcraft and the Loremaster title among others, and I've been in the leaderboards in Diablo as well. But I have always worked a steady full-time job, ever since I got out of college, and even have part-time work on Sunday as well. Yes, I have a college degree, but it is in music and therefore is of little consequence. It has only been useful in getting piecemeal bit work as a musician for supplemental income; I would hardly recommend that path to anyone else unless they were already world-class.

I could have followed the exact same track straight out of high school. Which was take a crash course in Excel and Powerpoint, then (nicely) beat down the door of every temp agency on an hourly basis until they gave me administrative work. Rent a room, not an apartment, until you feel comfortable making the next step. Finding your life partner will be a good motivator during this difficult stretch. Deal with that for 3-5 years then move up in the industry into something more specialized, but still simple, like logistics or order management or purchasing. You'll never make amazing money, but you'll feel better. I live a pretty good and balanced life now, and survive pretty easily even in an area with an extraordinary cost of living.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:47 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,982,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
wow, how about ignore this type of post, for starters!

Sorry to say, there is no correlation between either add or autism and high intelligence. Neither causes the others, nor is it associated with them. Someone can be one, two or all three of these, in any amount.

[snip]
+100

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-03-2015 at 12:59 PM..

Old 09-03-2015, 07:55 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,763,629 times
You have your damn parents. I lost both of my parents in college. There were many days I wanted to give up, stop living life, but I didn't.

YOU CAN'T GIVE UP.

I went to a meeting at the Department of Labor. The last words I took with me was that no matter how bad things may seem, YOU HAVE TO REMAIN POSITIVE.

I was unemployed for nearly five years. I know how it feels to be at the end of your rope. But I had to keep going. I volunteered. I revamped my resume. I did things to keep my mind occupied.

You can't give up.

That's when you give up on life.

Do some volunteer work for a while and gain connections. Work closely with your state and see a career advisor.

Last edited by deposite; 09-03-2015 at 08:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology