Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 01:43 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times

Advertisements

I was in a similar position and i was getting really scared, i just kept applying for jobs and finally landed a job.

Mastering the art of not giving a sh-t what others think of your life will really help as well, because really though other peoples thoughts/words don't are just that words and thoughts... they can't hurt you so who cares? just view yourself as (what you are) a independent human being going through life, floating around going with the flow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 07:01 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,549,180 times
Im sorry to hear that you are going through this. Why not drive tractor trailers? There are companies that will train you and have you working at the end of the course. I mean its just a thought. The key is not to give up. If you continue to diligently look for work I can almost GUARANTEE you will find one. Let go of the "I will never find anything" attitude. I hope everything works out for you. I don't know you but I can imagine what you are going through and I wish you all the best

Old 09-04-2015, 07:12 AM

385 posts, read 440,289 times
Buy a bus ticket and move to North Dakota. I hear McDonald's pays $17/hr.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:28 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
There are a lot of good ideas. One thing's for sure. The habits you have in place now are not helping. You'll have to stretch yourself and broaden your horizons. Even if that means breaking away from the video games and going out in the sunshine for an hour a day for a walk. Set a schedule and stick to it. You can do that, right? Because having a job would require that. Please go apply for food stamps. They'll assign you a counselor to assist in your job search. Don't be hard on your parents. They love you. They've invested a lot in you over the years. They want what's best for you and are frustrated. They don't know how to help you and are considering tough love. Might be the wrong decision but they just don't know what else to do. Throw 'em a bone! Formulate a possible plan, sit down and let them in on it and let them have some input, even if you don't do anything with their suggestions. Just let them have their say. Listen and don't be defensive. Give them some hope for you!

You pull the plug and the enemy wins. Bad move. You can battle evil forces in gaming. It's not so different in real life.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:30 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,525,090 times
OP has gone silent, hope they're OK!

Old 09-04-2015, 08:15 AM

818 posts, read 1,016,745 times
The saying beggars can't be choosers comes to mind. Don't like using it though. Coming from a dysfunctional family takes lots of hard work to pull through. The drive and initiative are dwelling within you but the process is not there yet. Just keep trying different things and you will eventually let your ability manifest itself and win.

Old 09-04-2015, 08:33 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,247,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Southpaw View Post
What? WTH does liberal left-wingers have to do with loving their kids and being able to correctly understand a medical psych diagnosis? Are you saying that right-wing conservatives cannot do this? I find it hard to believe that any adult could be that ignorant. But....this IS the internet, so......

LOL.

I'm politically Conservative, and could easily--and WOULD--love and never fail to help my child with ANY psych problem he or she had. So i guess this right here sorta blows your whole OP outta the water, eh?
Hmm..that didn't take long, did it? LOL
on avg, right wing conservatives will seek other forms of help, ie military school, a counselor or the church vs. getting their kids on meds at an early age. liberal democrats tend to glorify in the victim narrative and are quick to work with progressive medicine in any slight symptom of mental illness. this is not meant to be a blanket statement, of course there are exceptions. i worked in psychiatry and left the business to pursue other things. you don't know how difficult it is to convince conservatives that their child has a problem and my guess is the op's parents are of the stubborn variety as well.

Old 09-04-2015, 08:42 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post
on avg, right wing conservatives will seek other forms of help, ie military school, a counselor or the church vs. getting their kids on meds at an early age. liberal democrats tend to glorify in the victim narrative and are quick to work with progressive medicine in any slight symptom of mental illness. this is not meant to be a blanket statement, of course there are exceptions. i worked in psychiatry and left the business to pursue other things. you don't know how difficult it is to convince conservatives that their child has a problem and my guess is the op's parents are of the stubborn variety as well.
Please stop with the political narrative. Dear god, not everything under the sun is divided into conservative and liberal.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:34 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,808,660 times
I kinda feel you OP. Granted I don't get pressure from other people IRL. I don't even have that much of a family. However, it's never enough for me to just try. If I don't get the job it doesn't count. I feel like a burden everyday.
I would never pull the plug like you if just for the fact I have thanatophobia. But I also live for others. I value a few people way more than I do myself. I don't really care about myself anymore. I know the only way I will care about myself is if I get paid. My therapist suggested I could consider applying for disability but I don't want to. It sickens me enough that I get foodstamps and section 8. I almost didn't go to the food stamp program but my mom made me. I only feel good if I earned the money myself. I don't want to take from anybody but if somebody just gave me a job I'd be okay with that of course. I wish they would at this point. I'm tired of trying. I've been out of college for 4 years.

I've applied for jobs I'd be okay doing. In the past, I have even applied for jobs I really don't like and I can't fake the enthusiasm. I have asked for help in my city and no one is fighting to help me. However, that does not mean that you shouldn't ask for help. My city is just unhelpful (and there is one organization left that I didn't try yet). Yours may be better but you never know until you try. Then you can assess what to do next. You could also try therapy and see if it helps you. It can be a way of exploring your options. Also you may qualify for more help than me because your mental issues are most likely worse than mine. There should be a lot of job programs out there for your disabilities. I'm just in the middle ground mentality which means people tend to think you don't need the help.

I have been told to volunteer but that doesn't help me. It doesn't make me any less of a burden but it still means that I would have to get money from someone else. It could help you though because it gives you something to do at least. What I mean is seriously consider it but you don't have to. The main reason I don't do it is only because I have a way to make money and I know I can't do both.
I get tired of doing those sites though but I did participate in a focus group. It'll be a while to get a check but it pays a lot more than the sites do.

My biggest suggestion to you besides therapy is don't wait solely for a job. Still apply but do things on the side that wouldn't take too much time (so you can volunteer as well if you're okay with doing it). Hopefully your area has more opportunities than mine. There are so many ways to make some money. People will pay you to do pretty much anything. You just have to find those people. Check out The Penny Hoarder. They have a list of some. There is also Craigslist. I just have hard time figuring out what's real on there. If you have that problem too, see if you can find someone that would be able to go over the listings on there with you.

If you're still there (you haven't replied so I don't know), I know this wasn't much help and more just me relating but hopefully the suggestions I gave help a little. Even if things don't work for me they can still work for you. Everybody's experience is different.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:53 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
Look, I'm not a psychologist and I feel I'm inadequate to give you advice. Here are two suggestions:

1. I think you're a normal and sane person who is just demoralized by a ton of misfortune. I suspect one issue that must be addressed is raising your self-esteem. When you improve your personal sense of self worth I suspect your luck will change. Employers want to hire people who seem self assured and have confidence.

2. A job market that is growing and does not require a college degree is Security. At the university where I work uniformed security officers make anywhere from $10.50 to $17.50 and hour with full benefits and union representation. Okay, it's not great pay-wise but it's better than working in a fast food restaurant or a retail store. In our post 9/11 world there is a great need for increased security in hospitals, hotels, colleges, airports, malls, etc. Give it a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology