Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 08:03 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
I could be wrong, but I think the OP means that WITH the burger flipping job that they MAY be able to get, they still won't be able to afford a one bedroom apartment, the smallest apartment that they can imagine.
The OP would qualify for a number of gov't entitlement programs to help keep afloat. It's how millions of mickey d's and wallyworld workers get by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 08:16 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,103,013 times
Getting physically fit never helped me become any better mentally.
Biggest lie I ever fell for.

Instead, just grab at whatever, small basic gig you could find and at least build off of that.
I got into security work, and then into truck driving which I'm still doing now.
I gripe and hate some aspects of the job, anybody in any other line of work does.

The thing that keeps me flowing through the night and the anger to a minimum is getting the job done fast.
If it's a dairy I hate going to, I wrap it up as quick as possible to get away from it, stat.

That said, definitely seek out a security or back room/warehouse job.
Or even apply to a dairy farm as a milker!!

Pay isn't great at the beginning, but it's easy to get onto than other jobs and gets your foot "out the door".

And if transportation costs are an issue, get yourself a bicycle.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:55 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,098,224 times
Baby steps, OP, baby steps.

Start with any job right now.

My godson is ADHD and autistic and college was out of the question for him.

Instead, he concentrated on what he loves.

He got his pilot's license, he's a dive master, and busses tables at a local restaurant.

Bussing tables gave him the money to pay for his pilot's license and his dive master. He currently also teaches diving.

This is all building to get him on a yacht to eventually get his Master 100 Gross Ton Captain's license.

He's pretty tenacious to I fully expect to see him as at least the First Officer aboard a mega yacht in the next ten years.

I suggest you find some portion of something you love and work off that.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:16 AM

780 posts, read 678,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
I've had it. My childhood was full of bull****. Parents, teachers, and peers constantly treat me like I'm an idiot. I'm lazy, crazy, and mentally retarded.

College has been brutal for me. I failed so many classes to the point of losing financial benefits. I've been through cycles of jobs and can never keep one for longer than 3 months, because I get yelled at constantly by bosses and coworkers for screwing everything up.

I'm sick of people who expect me to be the same as everyone else. I'm tired of never living to anyone's expectations. I'm 25, been unemployed 6 months and have been trying to find a job only to come with nothing. It's tiring. It's overwhelming and I can't take it anymore. My parents spent all day and night working and expect me to get a job on a silver platter. Every time I have been job searching, I'm losing money on transportation costs with no result. It's starting to become a waste of time and money. Now I'm going to be thrown out of the house very soon and I'm prepared to pull the plug and end it. I don't even have the money to leave the house anymore and it's been very difficult for me.

Don't tell me to talk to my family. The most I'll get is a "get over it" and "grow up". They don't understand what I'm going through and I don't know either.

Gaming right now is the only source of my sanity. I can be in a fantasy world where people acknowledge your existence. Where no one yells at you constantly for being a failure.

ADHD and Autism is the most painful thing to have. I'd rather have AIDS and terminal cancer than live 60 years of my life knowing that I can't get or keep a job, ever get married, and live a normal life like everyone else.

I applied for disability but I doubt I'll qualify after the 20th time I applied.

I'm done. I can't take it anymore. I don't know what to do and I'm going nuts.

Don't tell me to call some Suicide hotline as that hasn't helped me and it's not going to find me work.
You can't be good at everything, so be good at one thing.

If you love gaming so much, why you use that as your stream of income. You of all the people should know all those gamers who gets paid/sponsored for thousands of dollars every day, just by playing a game. You wouldn't need to dress up and go to "work". You are your own boss.

If you want to succeed, you have to find a way to do it.

I was reading last night and landed on this quote. I think it's so true and if people just take the time to really understand and apply it on their own life, then we'd all be in our own state of happiness and success.

“A sign of wisdom and maturity is when you come to terms with the realization that your decisions cause your rewards and consequences. You are responsible for your life, and your ultimate success depends on the choices you make.â€

Old 09-03-2015, 09:56 AM

218 posts, read 214,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
To be honest, a lot of people love gaming too, especially for the new adults' generation. It doesn't mean that they can't work... why don't you try to consider work as a game as well? You could consider working for a job as being part of a mission for your RPG, only it's called life, and it's your own role, but still!

Actually I personally enjoy my job because I see a lot of similitude with what I do and the games I've been through.
If you're good in gaming, it's probably because you spent a lot of hours on it. Talent does play a little role but just like real life, effort and training, repetitions and hard work are what pays, even in games. For work, it would be identical. No one helps you in the professional environment, but you still have to move forward and achieve this with your own ideas. It's done through training and hard work as well.

Let's say you have to write some specifications. Imagine a stage that you have to clear to move on to the next level. You could just quickly clear it up and beat the boss, which would be a quick and dirty type of job. Or, you could decide to carefully explore every single part of the stage before moving on, just like being very thorough in details when writing the specs. If there is a specific skill you need to master in the game to beat the boss cause he has no other weakness, well, same thing, it might be a language or a degree you need in order to solve a situation or make it work. In a game, you would spend days and nights to achieve it. When it does not work, you would try to analyse the situation, wonder what's wrong with your actions, and try different approaches to clear the level. By doing this, you keep asking the following: "Why?" and "How?".

Why not in life as well?

Actually those 2 questions are the most important questions. If you always wonder why something is done this way, and how this is working, you will understand what's going on around you. It will open your vision. There is a reason why when teaching children, teachers always try to sneak in those 2 questions in their thought process so that they become curious and therefore, knowledgeable.

I do not agree with people saying you're 100% responsible of everything happening in your life, those people have never faced or witnessed real human tragedies. There's indeed not much you can do sometimes. But often, you do have the possibility to improve your chances.

I am going to hope you will find the light at the end of the tunnel. Keep asking for advices around you. If you do not want to talk to your parents, you can write it here as well. In any cases, don't isolate yourself. Good luck.

Excellent advice coming from a gamer, yay. You showed the OP that gaming itself is a learning tool. Perhaps THE learning tool to turn the OpS life around.

I do still believe everyone is 100 percent responsible for yourself as an adult. No matter the conditions of your youth. Children of abuse and neglect can either become a street urchin or a billionaire. They can lead beautiful families as an adult o always find excuses of why they couldn't succeed and continue lives of addiction. All the bad things in life happen to everyone except the "truly blessed" and even they don't get thru life pain free. We have all had to go thru sometimes horrific things, but the difference in winners and losers, just like games is how you play the game. Do you play to win, or assume you are always going to lose because someone is bullying you, or yelling at you, or telling you to get busy, or not play the game this way, and be sure and play the game that way.

Your advice on isolation, also excellent. Now if you could talk to my granddaughter.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:03 AM

218 posts, read 214,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Getting physically fit never helped me become any better mentally.
Biggest lie I ever fell for.

Instead, just grab at whatever, small basic gig you could find and at least build off of that.
I got into security work, and then into truck driving which I'm still doing now.
I gripe and hate some aspects of the job, anybody in any other line of work does.

The thing that keeps me flowing through the night and the anger to a minimum is getting the job done fast.
If it's a dairy I hate going to, I wrap it up as quick as possible to get away from it, stat.

That said, definitely seek out a security or back room/warehouse job.
Or even apply to a dairy farm as a milker!!

Pay isn't great at the beginning, but it's easy to get onto than other jobs and gets your foot "out the door".

And if transportation costs are an issue, get yourself a bicycle.

Another great answer, but the physical fitness isn't a lie. When you have your health, you have your full strength to face the difficulties of the day, the week the month etc. Your endorphins are high keeping you mentally fit. And when you hit retirement age, that previous youthful fitness will help you come back from all these damned illness and aches and pains of old age. Yikes. Please keep at your physical fitness, nutrition etc.at all costs.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:29 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,247,324 times
Quote:
I've had it. My childhood was full of bull****. Parents, teachers, and peers constantly treat me like I'm an idiot. I'm lazy, crazy, and mentally retarded.

College has been brutal for me. I failed so many classes to the point of losing financial benefits. I've been through cycles of jobs and can never keep one for longer than 3 months, because I get yelled at constantly by bosses and coworkers for screwing everything up.

I'm sick of people who expect me to be the same as everyone else. I'm tired of never living to anyone's expectations. I'm 25, been unemployed 6 months and have been trying to find a job only to come with nothing. It's tiring. It's overwhelming and I can't take it anymore. My parents spent all day and night working and expect me to get a job on a silver platter. Every time I have been job searching, I'm losing money on transportation costs with no result. It's starting to become a waste of time and money. Now I'm going to be thrown out of the house very soon and I'm prepared to pull the plug and end it. I don't even have the money to leave the house anymore and it's been very difficult for me.

Don't tell me to talk to my family. The most I'll get is a "get over it" and "grow up". They don't understand what I'm going through and I don't know either.

Gaming right now is the only source of my sanity. I can be in a fantasy world where people acknowledge your existence. Where no one yells at you constantly for being a failure.

ADHD and Autism is the most painful thing to have. I'd rather have AIDS and terminal cancer than live 60 years of my life knowing that I can't get or keep a job, ever get married, and live a normal life like everyone else.

I applied for disability but I doubt I'll qualify after the 20th time I applied.

Don't tell me to call some Suicide hotline as that hasn't helped me and it's not going to find me work.
Been there.. I'm in my 40's and was diagnosed with ADHD in highschool, and somehow.. somehow, my parents pushed me to take advanced AP classes to keep on pace with my peers, and I also had mixed grades, but managed to get into a good college, where I also had mixed grades, depending on my cycle. It was a massive struggle. It was then, that I discovered I was bipolar and found a treatment for it. ADHD is commonly associated with depression or bipolar, the sense of helplessness. The good news is it gets better. Much better.. ADHD symptoms tend to level out in your 30's and then improve.

What you need to do, is forget what your parents have in mind for you, or expect. Most people on this forum won't understand either. They obviously don't understand what you are really going through, but don't worry. You are not alone. There are many famous and highly successful people who have suffered from the same patterns, even presidents.

There are actually life choices that bode well for those with ADHD. They include careers those that are not the typical fixed path. Many with ADHD become enterpreneurs, leaders, innovators, programmers, traders. I chose financial trading, which is not much different from gaming. My parents expected me to have a life path of secondary schooling, getting my masters or law/phd degree, but once I distanced myself from that, I found happiness. I mention trading, because it liberated me into a world that was less structured and more abstract which is how my brain is wired and operates. I do not think linear, and for that reason, I succeeded in my industry outperforming my peers.

Do some research outside the expected norms, there are lots of opportunity for people such as yourself. You don't have to be the typical office slave moron, 9 to 5 union guy or doctor or lawyer like people expect you to be.

Last edited by ControlJohnsons; 09-03-2015 at 10:52 AM..

Old 09-03-2015, 01:38 PM

424 posts, read 430,502 times
Quote:

So...it's kinda hard for me to believe that the parents of a truly autistic child would kick him out. Especially so long as he has been trying very hard to obtain employment, as you claim you have.

Also, a valid DX of ADHD or Autism would easily qualify you for SSDI. People get that for far lesser diseases or illnesses. You also don't apply "for the 20th time" my friend. You can only apply twice (for the same problem) before you are required to get an attorney and take the matter to a court hearing.

I fully and completely sympathize with your dilemna, but I just feel we're not getting the whole story here. Do you take medication for your Autism? And is it Autism & ADHD? As those usually are separate and not concurrent disorders. Who DX's you with Autism? How long ago? I have NEVER seen an employer yell at and mistreat and autistic kid in his employ who is trying his best.

Video Games are the anti-christ, I feel. But that's a different subject. I believe they encourage folks to live in a fantasy world and also sub-consciously make them think that the REAL world is less important, and also more unfair, since the gamers cannot control the Real World like they can the games. So when things go wrong, they get depressed or angry and blame others. Just watch--time will tell and when enough studies are done and VG's all of this will come out.

BTW--I am currently working on my Master's degree in Psych, and am planning to write my MA Thesis on the Psychological Detriments of frequent and prolonged Video Gaming.

Old 09-03-2015, 01:39 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,247,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Southpaw View Post
So...it's kinda hard for me to believe that the parents of a truly autistic child would kick him out. Especially so long as he has been trying very hard to obtain employment, as you claim you have.

Also, a valid DX of ADHD or Autism would easily qualify you for SSDI. People get that for far lesser diseases or illnesses. You also don't apply "for the 20th time" my friend. You can only apply twice (for the same problem) before you are required to get an attorney and take the matter to a court hearing.

I fully and completely sympathize with your dilemna, but I just feel we're not getting the whole story here. Do you take medication for your Autism? And is it Autism & ADHD? As those usually are separate and not concurrent disorders. Who DX's you with Autism? How long ago? I have NEVER seen an employer yell at and mistreat and autistic kid in his employ who is trying his best.

Video Games are the anti-christ, I feel. But that's a different subject. I believe they encourage folks to live in a fantasy world and also sub-consciously make them think that the REAL world is less important, and also more unfair, since the gamers cannot control the Real World like they can the games. So when things go wrong, they get depressed or angry and blame others. Just watch--time will tell and when enough studies are done and VG's all of this will come out.

BTW--I am currently working on my Master's degree in Psych, and am planning to write my MA Thesis on the Psychological Detriments of frequent and prolonged Video Gaming.
it's not too hard to believe. adhd is a very misunderstood ailment unless your parents are extreme liberal left wingers.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:11 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,024,400 times
Quote:

I can't offer you much advice, but I am in a similar situation. I couldn't find work either and also have MH problems. You shouldn't give up though. I bet things will improve for you and it'll catch you off guard. Life has a habit of suddenly turning a corner. But if you give up, you'll never know and you seem like a cool guy anyway. You're not a lost cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology