Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 10:08 PM

13,286 posts, read 8,460,871 times

Advertisements

Inside ---as in my home? Or Inside Mental assertion of the usage of the "word" - nice?
In my house - Its completely fine
Inside my mental awareness- equally enjoyable.

I try to use less "fluff" words for a character trait though..."nice" is vague.

I usually say the person has a kind disposition or an awareness of empathy. Both to sum up the fluff word- "nice".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 10:12 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,885,622 times
"Inside" as in react mentally.

And "sweet" can be considered close enough to "nice," I agree. Although "sweet" seems more likely to be used when romance is involved.

Old 08-21-2017, 12:06 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,885,622 times
If it's a response to my doing a favor for a stranger, I'm fine with it.

If someone who knows me more than that, I feel disdain, because I'm not nice inside and think the person is easily fooled (judges too much on visuals and use of voice) and/or I'm a good faker (a little wicked like the outwardly placid Maty Noyes in the "Beautiful Problem" music video).

Sometimes I feel disrespected or manipulated, as though "nice" means "good boy, for doing what I want." I do what I want or what my personal moral code says, not primarily to please others. I don't want to be seen as a pushover and not a real man. It can send me into a little spiral of dissatisfaction and frustration with my appearance. Yet some days I'll deliberately dress to come across as nicer than I am (one of two ways I like to have style-fraud fun). Better than being noticed for looking mopey or irritated.... There's no real solution. I guess I should be glad I'm not slight, because then I probably would have heard it a lot more often.

I have never been called a "Nice Guy" offline. I think that's almost entirely an Internet label.

Last edited by goodheathen; 08-21-2017 at 12:22 AM..

Old 08-21-2017, 12:14 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,050,754 times
I don't think too much of it to tell you the truth. Just look at it as a compliment I guess. Sometimes my kids would tell me "so and so thinks you are cool". I take that as a compliment also. I think it makes them feel good also.

Back in the day and it maybe still true, when a female referred to a guy as "nice", it usually meant she only wants to be friends and not take it any further, for whatever reason.....lol

Old 08-21-2017, 01:49 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,107,305 times
I don't get called "nice" but I have always been called "too nice". Which is apparently an annoying trait?

Typically this statement is followed with additional info, such as: I apologize too much. I don't stand up for myself. I don't "get" other people when they are being snarky or snide. I'm nice to the wrong people ... the list goes on & on. I'm also a "Pollyanna" .

I'm not oblivious to this & sometimes I wish I was more assertive. I am aware that most people don't engage in 30 minute conversations with hobos or say "excuse me; sorry!" 500 times in a grocery store but I really couldn't change myself if I wanted to. I wouldn't refer to anyone else as just nice because I'd feel like it was too generic.

Old 08-21-2017, 05:34 AM

5,490 posts, read 3,931,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
More common from strangers in my case.
That's telling.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:24 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
nice is the polite way of saying.."we dont want anything to do with you, go away" its like the southern expression 'Bless his heart" which means "stupid"
LOL I do believe you are wrong on both counts in general. Maybe when YOU use these terms, it's what you mean, but personally I can and do use both terms and they mean different things in different settings.

Context. Context.

Nice is a city in France.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:28 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,050,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
nice is the polite way of saying.."we dont want anything to do with you, go away" its like the southern expression 'Bless his heart" which means "stupid"
Lol...
"Bless your heart" southern translation :"You sure are ugly/stupid"

Old 08-21-2017, 07:36 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Y'all are totally missing most of the subtle nuances of "Bless your heart!"

Yes, SOMETIMES it's a gentle put down, but often it's simply not.

"I was in labor for 27 hours."

"Bless your heart! But that baby was worth every minute, am I right?"

"My grandmother died yesterday."

"Bless your heart! What time do I need to show up with a casserole?"

"I can't go with you to Girls Night Out - I have walking pneumonia and I'm not supposed to mix alcohol with my meds."

"Bless your heart! Well, someone can always drive you home!"

"I can't believe this - the whole heel just fell off my shoe!"

"Bless your heart - Dillards just got in the new fall collection - go git you some new shoes!"

"I couldn't order any eclipse glasses because every site was sold out!"

"Bless your heart - I have two extra pairs so you just come over and git you and Jimmydean a pair."

Old 08-21-2017, 07:47 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,032,233 times
I'm told I'm nice fairly often, and get referred to as "the nice lady at the front desk" quite a bit. It's my professional role to be nice, helpful and polite. I've been at this job for 15 years. I guess I'm good at it.

Nice is just one adjective out of many many adjectives that describe me. I'm fine with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology