Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 08:38 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,353,873 times

Advertisements

Not caring what people think and the ability to navigate different social situations are two very different things.

Take the example of someone trying to get a job. Those that are socially adept would know to dress for the occasion. Someone that takes the time to dress well for a job interview is not doing it to impress someone. They are doing it because that is how you dress for an interview. People will still bring preconceived thoughts on anyone that comes into a job interview or anywhere else. Maybe the interviewer does not like something about the person. You can't change that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 10:13 AM

20,397 posts, read 14,673,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Not caring what people think and the ability to navigate different social situations are two very different things.

Take the example of someone trying to get a job. Those that are socially adept would know to dress for the occasion. Someone that takes the time to dress well for a job interview is not doing it to impress someone. They are doing it because that is how you dress for an interview. People will still bring preconceived thoughts on anyone that comes into a job interview or anywhere else. Maybe the interviewer does not like something about the person. You can't change that.
But WHY is that how you dress for an interview? Because managing the impression that you make with those in that room can benefit you, that's why. You have a good reason to care what they think. You're not going to get struck by lightening if you waltz in wearing sweats. You might not get the job...but why will you not get the job? You won't be rejected by the fax machine or judged by the photocopier. It's the people.

I guess I believe that ultimately, behind any other justification for rules that you can offer, whether it is religion or law or values or "the way things are" that supposedly has nothing to do with "people" and "what they think"... I disagree because I think that underlying those things is a basic desire to please someone at some point, or other people in general. Maybe even just how you were raised and wanting to be the sort of person your parents would say is decent and knows right from wrong. At some point, practically everybody is going to care what SOME people think of them, and rightly so.

I don't honestly know how you can be socially functional otherwise.

And as I said before, this does not imply going and crying in a corner every time somebody disapproves of you or judges you or talks behind your back. There are plenty of times that we're better off disregarding the useless and unhelpful opinions of other people.

Knowing which situation is which...that's like Humaning 101.

I'm not sure why so many folks here are assuming that caring what other people think automatically means either obsessively keeping up with the Joneses, comparing yourself to others, or wigging out about the negative judgments of the people we really shouldn't listen to.

Old 09-28-2017, 11:01 AM

6,306 posts, read 4,201,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
But WHY is that how you dress for an interview? Because managing the impression that you make with those in that room can benefit you, that's why. You have a good reason to care what they think. You're not going to get struck by lightening if you waltz in wearing sweats. You might not get the job...but why will you not get the job? You won't be rejected by the fax machine or judged by the photocopier. It's the people.

I guess I believe that ultimately, behind any other justification for rules that you can offer, whether it is religion or law or values or "the way things are" that supposedly has nothing to do with "people" and "what they think"... I disagree because I think that underlying those things is a basic desire to please someone at some point, or other people in general. Maybe even just how you were raised and wanting to be the sort of person your parents would say is decent and knows right from wrong. At some point, practically everybody is going to care what SOME people think of them, and rightly so.

I don't honestly know how you can be socially functional otherwise.

And as I said before, this does not imply going and crying in a corner every time somebody disapproves of you or judges you or talks behind your back. There are plenty of times that we're better off disregarding the useless and unhelpful opinions of other people.

Knowing which situation is which...that's like Humaning 101.

I'm not sure why so many folks here are assuming that caring what other people think automatically means either obsessively keeping up with the Joneses, comparing yourself to others, or wigging out about the negative judgments of the people we really shouldn't listen to.

I agree, although I don't always believe it's a matter of inherently wanting to please others as much as recognizing that how we dress/groom/style affects our relationships and careers. There are some circumstances in which how we dress shows we care for a particular person or situation. Generally I don't care what people think of my work as an artist unless of course it's to do with gallery representation or sales. Same with desire to wear the same colour clothes every day, and it only matters if I am attending a particular event, like a wedding where it does matter.

Old 09-28-2017, 11:06 AM

6,306 posts, read 4,201,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuja1 View Post
Is it psychologically healthy to have no concern what-so-ever how people view you? Or is there some sort of psychological benefit to caring about what people think about you?

As with lots of things in life I would say moderation and balance. I don't really care how people view me as long as it is not affecting the quality of my life, friendships or my work.

Old 09-28-2017, 11:20 AM

1,191 posts, read 1,585,241 times
Here's a reality of life: What other people think does matter.

But like everything else the devil is in the details. It would be great if we could swear off everyone else's opinions and go on with life. But the quality of our lives is impacted by our relationships. And relationships are all built on perceptions. From personal relationships to business relationships having people think negatively about you can have a negative effect on your quality of life.

Does it matter what some random troll on the internet thinks? Of course not. Does it matter what my bank thinks about my credit? Yes. When my wife and I were dating, did her parents opinion of me matter? Of course it did. Does it matter to me what teenagers think about my music or clothing choices? Not a chance. Such as life. We take things like this on a case by case basis.

But generally the opinions of those we have close relationships with should always be considered.

Old 09-30-2017, 10:52 AM

9,423 posts, read 11,173,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Yes.
Yes.

Old 10-04-2017, 01:10 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,463,545 times
I would point out that there is a difference between caring what people think, and presenting oneself with sufficient care to give the impression of caring what they think. A job interview is a good example. Do I really care in my soul what the interviewer thinks? Hell to the no. Do I need to make it look and sound like I do? Yes, up to a point.

Old 10-08-2017, 04:50 AM

11 posts, read 6,684 times
What others think of you is their perspective and you can never really be 'them'. You will end up with analysis paralysis every time, and end up feeling exhausted. Always focus on yourself to do the best and expect that others will think good of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology