Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 09:48 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,908,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Two, for different reasons.

1. When I say No I Feel Guilty by Manuel J. Smith. A primer on assertiveness, how to stop being victimized by others who are just looking out for themselves at your expense.

2. The John C.H Wu translation of the Tao Teh Ching by Lao Tzu. There are numerous translations of the Tao Teh Ching but this one really gets to the essence. A realistic and practical view of existence and the mysteries of life, relationships, behaviour and perceptions.
I got the Tzu book on your recommendation but couldn't make any sense of it, despite all the great reviews, as well. I hate that obscurantist stuff, though it is doubtless some sort of failing on my part.

I think _Visions: How Science Will Revolutionize the 21st Century_ by Michio Kaku is a much better book. Kaku is not only a brilliant scientist and a great thinker, but a great writer, as well. Not as great as Russell, but great. And with important ideas.

Kaku's book is self-help in that it provides hope for the future of our species. He interviewed 150 scientists to write the book, so it's a very brilliant book, very beautifully written.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 07:22 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,793,602 times
I liked the 5 Love Languages too. Read it too late to save my marriage.

There's a couple by Brene Brown that are good about vulnerability and self compassion

Another great one that few know about is The Untethered Soul by Michael Singer. We all should read it once a year. I highlighted half the book.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:13 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,055,996 times
The age-old mars v. venus is fascinating. The book that aided me with relationships is "What Could He Be Thinking?" by Michael Gurian.

WHAT COULD HE BE THINKING ? - Michael Gurian

Old 01-10-2018, 08:14 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,251,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I got the Tzu book on your recommendation but couldn't make any sense of it, despite all the great reviews, as well. I hate that obscurantist stuff, though it is doubtless some sort of failing on my part.

I think _Visions: How Science Will Revolutionize the 21st Century_ by Michio Kaku is a much better book. Kaku is not only a brilliant scientist and a great thinker, but a great writer, as well. Not as great as Russell, but great. And with important ideas.

Kaku's book is self-help in that it provides hope for the future of our species. He interviewed 150 scientists to write the book, so it's a very brilliant book, very beautifully written.
Whew! I feel much better now...thought it was just me.

Old 01-10-2018, 02:59 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times
I gained an insight from a book about relationships (and divorce) - it is that a relationship is very much built on how you make your significant other feel - it isn't built as much on what your significant other sees in you or what personal characteristics of yours that he likes - the foundation is how you make him feel about himself!

(do not have title of the book handy) This piece of information gave me a lot of insight and helped me to understand what had occurred.

It was also startling and a bit thunder striking to see that love is not built as much on personal characteristics of your own and those he sees and likes in you, but instead on how you make him feel. (according to this philosophy)

I find this sort of disheartening on one hand in that you are not loved for yourself, but are loved more for how you make your significant other feel about himself.

Last edited by matisse12; 01-10-2018 at 03:26 PM..

Old 01-10-2018, 03:12 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,975,706 times
The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo. At a glance, this appears to be a how to organize your closets book, but it's the exact opposite. You won't be heading to the Container Store for attractive shelving - you'll be tossing your stuff in big bags for Goodwill or the trash. Each piece you own that doesn't bring you joy, you throw out. (This is somewhat impractical so you can't follow it all the way. No one gets joy from an ironing board but you still need it). As you say goodbye to the possessions that you feel negatively about - and there are so many reasons to feel negatively about possessions - your anxiety and sadness lift. It's amazing. Freeing. Although she is a bit of a nut. Who says goodbye and thank you to stuff? ;D

Dear Sugar by Cheryl Strayed. A compilation of her advice columns. From the author of "Wild, from Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail", this is a profoundly moving book in the form of real questions from readers and her answers. Breath of lovely fresh air.

Old 01-10-2018, 04:10 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,733,506 times
Games People Play by Eric Berne. Best book I've ever read by far.

The good thing was that it became easy to figure people out - the bad thing was that it made me impatient and ill-tempered towards them and their STUPID GAMES.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:38 PM

88,587 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo. At a glance, this appears to be a how to organize your closets book, but it's the exact opposite. You won't be heading to the Container Store for attractive shelving - you'll be tossing your stuff in big bags for Goodwill or the trash. Each piece you own that doesn't bring you joy, you throw out. (This is somewhat impractical so you can't follow it all the way. No one gets joy from an ironing board but you still need it). As you say goodbye to the possessions that you feel negatively about - and there are so many reasons to feel negatively about possessions - your anxiety and sadness lift. It's amazing. Freeing. Although she is a bit of a nut. Who says goodbye and thank you to stuff? ;D

Dear Sugar by Cheryl Strayed. A compilation of her advice columns. From the author of "Wild, from Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail", this is a profoundly moving book in the form of real questions from readers and her answers. Breath of lovely fresh air.
This is interesting. A friend of mine was experiencing constipation. She regularly talked to (and paid) a woman who was a sort of psychic healer/therapist. The woman told her she was constipated because she was holding onto things she should let go of. Not long after, she came across old letters and audio tapes from her first marriage, and she was still fighting with the ex even though she had remarried.

She looked at all the stuff she was hanging onto and decided to throw it all away. Then over the next two days, the constipation reversed and she felt better all around.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:36 PM

8,676 posts, read 22,922,371 times
For me, it was Wayne Dyer's Power of Intention just riveted me and I dug deeper, from there it was onto Dale Carnegie, Napoleon Hill and Steven Covey. I got off the horse after doubling (one year quadrupling) my earnings. A positive attitude takes work and self discipline. But once you get the momentum, it gets easier. I'm due for a tune up to get back on track and was interested in this thread to help me get there.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:22 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Anything by Brene Brown is a worthwhile read if you want to gain a better understanding of vulnerability and resilience. Very approachable style, as well.

Her TED talks are outstanding, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology