Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 06:01 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times

Advertisements

I've also found that anything I read by the Dalai Lama is kind of like being wrapped in a hug. He promotes a great mentality. Not always self-help books, but getting in his frame of mind is helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 08:23 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I've also found that anything I read by the Dalai Lama is kind of like being wrapped in a hug. He promotes a great mentality. Not always self-help books, but getting in his frame of mind is helpful.
The Dalai Lama is a very likeable person but I wish he were stronger on Animal Rights/vegan issues. Thích Nhất Hạnh is better and I also like his writings more:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thích_Nhất_Hạnh

>> Nhất Hạnh has published more than 100 books, including more than 40 in English. He is active in the peace movement, promoting nonviolent solutions to conflict[5] and he also refrains from animal product consumption as a means of nonviolence towards non-human animals.

My impression is that DL strives to be inclusive so doesn't focus on the sufferings of animals, as I think he should, and this for numerous reasons, including historical and financial.

Zen Master Thích Nhất Hạnh:
https://m.facebook.com/thichnhathanh/?ref=br_rs

Old 01-12-2018, 09:02 PM

388 posts, read 474,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F***.
Thanks for the recommendation, Stan4.

I have one chapter left read.

The book takes a very unusual point of view that is practical and value-based.

I'm impressed!

Old 01-13-2018, 10:09 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,143 times
This is a very good introduction to Zen Buddhism in a contemporary context and it's only $1.99 on Kindle:

Walking the Noble Path
by Thich Nhat Hanh

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The author is a Buddhist monk from Viet Nam, was there during our conflict with them, and is a poet and my sense is, a sort of world figure in the spiritual communities. You don't have to adopt Buddhism to benefit from reading this, and his recommendations do stop suffering. I really love this book.

Old 01-14-2018, 04:40 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,482,104 times
Principles by Ray Dalio
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology