Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 11:54 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,771,315 times

Advertisements

right now I am reading 'Taming Your Gremlin' by Carson and I have to admit it is really a helpful book. Most self help books I try to read I get past the first chapter or so and find out that it isn't doing anything for me so I quit the book. But I realize a book isn't going make life a happy go lucky affair every day or anything like that. But some books can help make life more barable. If that sounds pessimistic I have to say that I have been studying Schopenhauer for many years and he is highly pessimistic about life. But he is partly right of course but someone once said his pessimism was partly due to his own personality which is probably true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2017, 12:16 PM

3,297 posts, read 3,022,421 times
Dissolve the Problem: By Shifting Physical Reality by Richard Dotts. I would say the author's ideas might be more accessible to readers who are already pretty familiar with metaphysics but it showed me a way to nearly totally alleviate the crushing anxiety that had plagued me for decades.

Old 10-14-2017, 10:47 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,484,481 times
Oddly, thinking back, the book(s) that probably made the most difference in my life were the Al-Anon books. They really helped me learn how to separate someone else's responsibilities from my own.

And interestingly, this is something that I think women still struggle with - taking on the responsibility and/or blame for someone else, be it a significant other or child, etc.

It was really helpful and freeing. To stop covering for my ex or paying his bills yet again. But, this can happen to friends and parents, too. And it's a really important lesson - that your problems are yours and mine are mine. I can feel your pain and empathize with what you are going through - without letting you lean on me for solutions or a bailout.

Letting someone else own their own adult problems without feeling the need or being guilted into taking them over.

Anyway, my ex had an addiction problem, so our marriage counselor at the time suggested I get involved with Al-Anon. I didn't like the meetings, as it was usually a room full of people complaining about someone they couldn't control - but were still trying to. But, the books really stuck with me. And I sought out many books on the subject.

I will still occasionally struggle with boundaries, but it was the Al-Anon books that put me on the road to understanding boundaries between my responsibilities and others'.

Old 10-14-2017, 11:00 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
Colgrove, Bloomfield, and McWilliams' How to Survive the Loss of a Love.

A small, helpful, simple book suitable for grieving and loss in general.

Old 10-15-2017, 06:52 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
When I was single in my forties (and didn't really even know how to date as an adult in the 21st century - LOL) I swear the most helpful book I ever read was "He's Just Not That Into You." The movie was horrible - the book was excellent. I've recommended it over and over again to single women of all ages. And I applied those principles -and wow, they were right on target.

For basic life principles I really like M Scott Peck. His classic "The Road Less Traveled" is a book I really need to reread. And his darker "People of the Lie" is terrific for anyone who is involved with (married to, parented by, related to, etc) someone with a personality disorder.

Old 10-15-2017, 07:07 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,302,595 times
"The Gift of Fear" by Gavin somebody.

Old 10-15-2017, 07:13 AM

2,026 posts, read 333,924 times
Most definitely "How to Stop Worrying and Start Living" by Dale Carnegie. Bought it on Amazon over the summer when I was on bedrest from surgery. I couldn't put it down all summer. Very informative, helpful ways to be a more positive and motivated person.

Old 10-15-2017, 07:23 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
Most recent?

The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F***.

I also liked The 5 Love Languages.

Old 10-15-2017, 07:42 AM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elusive Enchantment View Post
Most definitely "How to Stop Worrying and Start Living" by Dale Carnegie. Bought it on Amazon over the summer when I was on bedrest from surgery. I couldn't put it down all summer. Very informative, helpful ways to be a more positive and motivated person.
For me it's his How To Win Friends And Influence People.

Also, Hope And Help For Your Nerves, Claire Weekes. I've read countless such books, but the rest are forgettable.

Old 10-15-2017, 08:28 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times
kernighan and ritchie, the c programming language

That’s the basis for the core job skill that paid the bills for 30+ years. I had a few college text books in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science that provided the background to quickly learn new technologies as they emerged. Core STEM texts in math, probability theory, and physics were also pretty important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology