Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How did you feel about high school?
Loved it and would enjoy doing it again. 26 16.25%
Hated it and would fight if I had to do it again. 85 53.13%
Meh, I couldn't care either way. 47 29.38%
I didn't finish in the first place. 2 1.25%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 07:14 AM

199 posts, read 166,137 times

Advertisements

High school and college were meritocracies. As long as you studied and did your homework, you would make good grades. That was before entering the corporate world, where interpersonal relationships and social skills are more important for success. I loved being able to sit quietly in class all day without it having any real negative effect on me.

Also, I dealt with bullies in high school, but I've also dealt with a number of bullies at jobs. People don't stop being a**holes once they turn 18.

I don't miss the school lunches. The rubbery, processed "chicken fried steak" and square "pizza" with little pea-sized sausages on top were disgusting. I read somewhere that prisoners get better food than public school students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 10:14 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,178,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whateverblahblah View Post
High school and college were meritocracies. As long as you studied and did your homework, you would make good grades. That was before entering the corporate world, where interpersonal relationships and social skills are more important for success. I loved being able to sit quietly in class all day without it having any real negative effect on me.

Also, I dealt with bullies in high school, but I've also dealt with a number of bullies at jobs. People don't stop being a**holes once they turn 18.

I don't miss the school lunches. The rubbery, processed "chicken fried steak" and square "pizza" with little pea-sized sausages on top were disgusting. I read somewhere that prisoners get better food than public school students.
Did you go to HS in America?

Old 02-02-2018, 10:41 AM

199 posts, read 166,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Did you go to HS in America?
I sure did. My grades never reflected my social skills or how well I was liked by certain people in the class.

Old 02-02-2018, 05:43 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,630,651 times
Quote:
I had a dream a few night ago that I had to repeat high school... All 4 years for a technical glitch.

For me, that was a nightmare, for others probably not so bad. I wonder what the balance is...
I did not enjoy high school, but I would still be open to reliving the experience knowing the things that I know now.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:43 PM

26,433 posts, read 46,657,478 times
I went to high school in a large suburban city (1,800 students in grades 9-12) that was highly rated, plenty of AP and IB courses along with a large selection of foreign languages, etc. I think the demographics shifted substantially in 20 years, area became much more diverse for better or worse, and the overall ranking of the high school dropped a few notches at least. The cliques were extremely prominent: jocks/athletes/cheerleaders, high achiever students/nerds, band/musicians/, alternative/punks/gothic,drug culture, and everyone else. Anyone remember teacher and student smoking sections behind the school being a thing? I remember Open Lunch, juniors and seniors in high school used to drive miles to go to a cheap fast food restaurant and chain smoke before next class. I had mixed feelings about high school- some great teachers, and some not so good ones. I remember I never had many good math teachers at any level of school, and that impacted my career decisions to a certain degree.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:54 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,110,164 times
Quote:
I had a dream a few night ago that I had to repeat high school... All 4 years for a technical glitch.

For me, that was a nightmare, for others probably not so bad. I wonder what the balance is...
I wouldn't mind repeating it, if I could choose the school. In fact, I'd love a do-over, if I could have my choice of school.

Old 02-03-2018, 10:09 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,776,693 times
My HS experience was mixed. I didn't really dread going to school everyday, but there were times I did not want to be there. I remember being inspired by some of the best teachers. I recall the very lousy teachers as well. I had a few close friends and kept in touch with some off and on. I wasn't popular, just average like someone in the background. I wasn't picked on much, which was a good thing. Some of my friends did deal with the constant wrath of bullying.
For the most part, I enjoyed my college years more overall. I would not want to go back and do any of this all over again, but I try to cherish the positive memories of hanging out with friends.

And on occasion, I do have dreams about school or some function of it mixed in with work. When I awake from such a dream, I usually am annoyed like I forgot to take a big test or something.

Old 02-03-2018, 01:21 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,110,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post
My HS experience was mixed. I didn't really dread going to school everyday, but there were times I did not want to be there. I remember being inspired by some of the best teachers. I recall the very lousy teachers as well. I had a few close friends and kept in touch with some off and on. I wasn't popular, just average like someone in the background. I wasn't picked on much, which was a good thing. Some of my friends did deal with the constant wrath of bullying.
For the most part, I enjoyed my college years more overall. I would not want to go back and do any of this all over again, but I try to cherish the positive memories of hanging out with friends.

And on occasion, I do have dreams about school or some function of it mixed in with work. When I awake from such a dream, I usually am annoyed like I forgot to take a big test or something.
You're lucky you had any inspiring teachers. I remember only 1 teacher that was fun and inspiring. This is not to say that the others were "bad" teachers, but simply that the general experience was bland, and a lot of work.

Old 02-03-2018, 04:07 PM

136 posts, read 136,313 times
My high school years were not bad. If I could somehow go back, with all the life experience and knowledge I have now I wouldn't mind repeating them. There are more than few things I'd do differently. Mainly having to do with the courses I took, and how I applied myself.

I have fond memories of that time in my life, but few of them have anything to do with high school. Mostly they are related to after school and summer jobs and the people I got to know through them. They were my friends in those days, not my classmates. I knew it was important to finish. So I did, but with minimal effort. Spent no more time in that building than I had to. I played football, but once that season was over I was outta there everyday with the final bell.

It was almost a decade after high school that I decided I wanted a degree; and another decade of taking one class at a time at night and on weekends, as my job permitted, to get one.

Old 02-03-2018, 08:54 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,137,118 times
My high school years kind of reminded me of the Chuck Berry School Days song.
"Soon as three o'clock rolls around, you finally lay your burden down" lol. He kind of nailed it.

I wasn't that dedicated to studying but liked to read, so it was alright. I remember skipping school with my girlfriends when one of our folks let us borrow the car to drive to school, then spending the day in the mall. Next day, one of our teachers would say "sorry you were sick girls, but it's strange, someone said you were at the mall". He was a sweetie and didn't care if we skipped.

Going to the games was fun, and there were good memories, but once around was enough. Life got more interesting when I got older and started seeing the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology