Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How did you feel about high school?
Loved it and would enjoy doing it again. 26 16.25%
Hated it and would fight if I had to do it again. 85 53.13%
Meh, I couldn't care either way. 47 29.38%
I didn't finish in the first place. 2 1.25%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 10:42 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,133,526 times

Advertisements

I was unable to explain to the people who went back to my 50th high school reunion, that high school was pure hell for me. Many of the people at the reunion were actually my tormentors, though they have no recollection of doing that.

I tried in a gentle way. But none of them could understand since the reason they went back was because high school was one of the most wonderful times in their lives. And many of them never moved away from their home town in the last 50 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 10:47 AM

199 posts, read 166,028 times
Except for a number of idiot classmates I had to deal with, I enjoyed high school.

Most of my teachers were competent and we had interesting classroom discussions. I especially enjoyed my history classes.

Studying and taking tests was a heck of a lot less stressful than the corporate jobs I've had.

Also, I miss hanging out with friends, cruising around town and having pizza parties. It was just a very carefree chapter of my life.

Old 01-25-2018, 11:26 AM

5,676 posts, read 5,893,184 times
Hated it so much I walked Feb of my senior year. I wasnt going to graduate any ways. The following Monday I enrolled in adult education, had my diploma in April I think it was, before my former classmates. Had other priorities at the time, and wasnt going to put up with the nonsense I was having to deal with there.

Old 01-25-2018, 11:36 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,135,818 times
I completed my freshman year though I was out sick 103 days and then I left school to be married. I was 16 at the time. Still married by the way.

Old 01-25-2018, 11:46 AM

61,756 posts, read 87,217,162 times
In the US everyone has HS diploma, even those who can't read, write or comprehend.

Old 01-25-2018, 11:54 AM

3,105 posts, read 2,009,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
For me, that was a nightmare, for others probably not so bad. I wonder what the balance is...
Circumstances. When bussing began, so did my high school years, right in the middle of daily turbulence. I was a nervous wreck as a 90-lb girl with no friends... I'd just been torn out of a nice school in a small, safe town in another state & plopped down in turmoil. It drastically affected my mental & physical health, as I walked to school each day with Fed Marshalls pointing rifles at me because I was white (because frightened, 14-yr old, scrawny girls are so fearful)... & it motivated me to graduate 2-yrs early, rather than drop out, as many did.

My only memories from HS are fear & violence & extreme prejudice on all sides. To this day, when I think about those times, I lose my breath. Being a small white girl meant I was a target, so I learned to be safe by not cowering in fear, but standing solid & strong, if that makes sense. Every 5-yrs or so, I have a dream I'm in HS & wake up sweaty, screaming & terrified... that funk stays with me for days.

I'm envious of those who had HS friends, participated in sports & didn't have riots begin in class first thing every morning, then have the details twisted & lied about by media every night on the news. I was there. It didn't happen that way. Shame on all the decision making adults that made the lives of children utterly miserable at that time. Add to that... we learned nothing. Most of our classes were regularly cancelled as teachers locked us in class rooms & ran for their own safety.

Old 01-25-2018, 01:05 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,924,520 times
x Other (the poll doesn't include my experience)

I went to an academically tough private high school with great teachers, so I learned a lot and thought the work was fascinating.

I went to a high school across town and I was much younger than most of my classmates, so the social life was quite difficult.

Mixed bag. Overall, I liked it, and I am still involved with the school 45 years later.

Old 01-25-2018, 01:33 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,744,165 times
I was lucky to go to a large high school in the most desirable neighborhood in a large city. Academically, it rivaled the best private schools in the area. But we were the "poor kids" (relatively), so we drove old beaters and didn't have designer clothes or trips to South Padre in the spring and Aspen in the winter.

Still, it never mattered, I was treated just fine, and had a gang of good friends, none of us fitting into the stereotypes of "jock," "social," "bandgeek" "kicker" (cowboy/girl) or "hood." I didn't really stand out in this gigantic school, but if you had to put me into a category, guess I was sort of a "brain/party girl." The best thing about HS is that is prepared me academically for college. I learned to write papers and study for tests, so when I went off to my small private Southern college, I hardly had to study at all. More time for keg parties and road trips!

I swear, college was like a 1980s Animal House. Right down to shag dancing in inch-deep beer and toga parties. Loved every minute.

Old 01-25-2018, 01:50 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,504,304 times
I grew up in a small town. There were three elementary schools, but my graduation class was only 272. I grew up with these kids. People. Even if we went to a different elementary school, I might have met them through scouting, Sunday School, dance class. EVERYONE in that town knew each other. And they also knew your parents. Especially since my father had a business right in the village.

I was involved in HS activities. Particularly Theater, Dance, and Cheerleading. I got good grades. However, for some reason, maybe because my boyfriend was a class ahead of me, I had more friends one and two classes ahead of me.

Consequently, I decided to complete HS in three years. I wanted to go away to college when my friends did. I couldn't imagine another year in that HS.

I checked "meh" because while I had friends, and I was fairly popular, I was not in the "Mean Girl" crowd - although a couple of them were friends. I liked a diverse group of people.

Prom was memorable. HS had it's enjoyable moments. But I really didn't share much with the people in my HS - other than a zip code.

I met my lifelong friends at college.

Old 01-25-2018, 02:54 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,395,093 times
I loved my senior year of high school .I did not like college for the most part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology