Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 10:45 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,748,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Yeah - the point could have been made without mentioning a dollar amount (it could be interpreted as another version of ‘trying to impress’). Just an ironic observation related to the thread.
I get that, and thought about it right after I posted it, but decided to let it stand anyway. The point I was making is that I'm not scrambling to earn a living to the extent that I'm forced to carry my laptop with me everywhere so that I can work continuously because otherwise I'd be in deep financial ****, so I do think the amount has relevance. I was responding to what seems to be an assumption that those who work in public do so because they have no other choice.

I really have no interest in trying to impress strangers on the internet, particularly in an anonymous venue such as C-D. Posters seem to talk pretty freely about their financials here, so I'm just adhering to an established status quo.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 03-21-2019 at 11:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2019, 11:00 PM

8,676 posts, read 3,876,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I get that, and thought about it right after I posted it, but decided to let it stand anyway. The point I was making is that I'm not scrambling to earn a living to the extent that I'm forced to carry my laptop with me everywhere so that I can work continuously because otherwise I'd be in deep financial ****, so I do think the amount has relevance. I was responding to what seems to be an assumption that those who work in public do so because they have no other choice.

I really have no interest in trying to impress strangers on the internet, particularly in an anonymous venue such as C-D. Posters seem to talk pretty freely about their financials here, so I'm just adhering to an established status quo.
I certainly wouldn’t do it, regardless of the ‘established status quo’.

Old 03-21-2019, 11:12 PM

Quote:
I certainly wouldn’t do it, regardless of the ‘established status quo’.
That's nice. We all get to decide how and what we post here, within the guidelines of the ToS, and they weren't violated in this case. Looks like something struck a nerve.

Old 03-21-2019, 11:17 PM

Quote:
That's nice. We all get to decide how and what we post here, within the guidelines of the ToS, and they weren't violated in this case. Looks like something struck a nerve.
I wasn’t suggesting you couldn’t post it - I was speaking to the irony of it as it pertained to the thread. Have a great night!

Old 03-21-2019, 11:25 PM

Quote:
I wasn’t suggesting you couldn’t post it - I was speaking to the irony of it as it pertained to the thread. Why would irony strike a nerve? Have a great night!
I guess you missed that I was addressing your comment about how you wouldn't post it. The irony thing falls pretty flat as well; you can't impress people who don't even know who you are.

Have a great night yourself.

Old 03-21-2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:
The irony thing falls pretty flat as well; you can't impress people who don't even know who you are.

Agreed - all the more reason your specified dollar amount (and hours per day billed) was superfluous (and irrelevant to your point), which is why I mentioned the irony of it (as it pertained to the thread) in the first place.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 03-21-2019 at 11:42 PM..

Old 03-21-2019, 11:49 PM

Quote:
All the more reason your specified dollar amount (and hours per day billed) was superfluous (and irrelevant to your point), which is why I mentioned the irony of (as it pertained to the thread) in the first place.
I guess we'll just have to disagree, then, because it was relevant to the point I was making. I think Kathryn, who I was responding to, can probably probably understand it. To put it as simply as I can, not everyone who "works in public" is being somehow forced to do so because of a hectic lifestyle or because they need to optimize a low hourly.

You sure seem to be triggered by the amount I mentioned, though.

Old 03-21-2019, 11:54 PM

Quote:
I guess we'll just have to disagree, then, because it was relevant to the point I was making. I think Kathryn, who I was responding to, can probably probably understand it. To put it as simply as I can, not everyone who "works in public" is being somehow forced to do so because of a hectic lifestyle or because they need to optimize a low hourly.

You sure seem to be triggered by the amount I mentioned, though.
Actually, you initially agreed with me - lol, if you look at my post #92 which quoted you as stating, ‘I get that’. (So you did see the irony as per the thread as well.) But alright then, NOW you disagree. Have a good night.

Old 03-22-2019, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Actually, you initially agreed with me - lol, if you look at my post #92 which quoted you as stating, ‘I get that’. (So you did see the irony as per the thread as well.) But alright then, NOW you disagree. Have a good night.
Not at all. What I "got" was how it could be interpreted in a certain way, but I chose to stand by the underlying point I was making. The point was that "working in public" is often an effective time-management strategy rather than something someone does because they're at the mercy of a hectic lifestyle that forces them to scramble to get as many hours in during the course of the average day, and yeah, billable hours plays a part in that. And no one in their right mind does it simply to "impress people."

I was also trying to assure Kathryn that there's no reason to pity people who work in public or take advantage of delivery services. Sorry you've got such a challenge with that.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 03-22-2019 at 12:39 AM..

Old 03-22-2019, 05:32 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
It's really not that simple, though. I sometimes take my laptop to a local restaurant or coffee shop just to have a change of venue (the local coffee shop has a lovely view of the river). I put in about four billable hours every day (mostly billed out at over $100 per hour), so I'm not exactly tethered to the device; it's just that I'm a two-birds-with-one-stone type of person. Since I'm self-employed, if an interesting conversation or comes up in the coffee shop or restaurant, I have the freedom to choose to put my work aside — or not.

I really can't blame anyone for working while on a bus, subway, or plane, either. Beats sitting there staring into space, and if doing so buys them more personal time, what's the harm?

As far as grocery shopping, I only recently started using Instacart, but I can see it becoming a regular thing. It isn't about not having time to go to the store myself or having a hectic life. It's about outsourcing an activity I pretty much dislike because I can.

ETA I save my impulse buying for farmers markets and antique stores.
I'm not criticizing you or anyone else. I clarified that my comment about "pity" was rather tongue in cheek. My point was that I PERSONALLY don't want a job that necessitates me working on a commute (I didn't say anything about coffee shops just for the record). My point was that I don't personally want a lifestyle that is so hectic or disabling that it's easier for me to have groceries delivered. I also clarified that I realize that some people just choose to do these things for reasons that may have nothing to do with anything I consider negative.

My point was also that when I see these things going down, I'm not impressed. I also said that I doubt anyone is trying to impress me. If they are, they're going about it a strange way and one that's counterproductive in that regard because I have absolutely zero interest in or desire for a lifestyle that includes commutes, working before I even get to work, or eschewing grocery shopping (which I enjoy) for deliveries.

To each his or her own.

IF someone is trying to impress me (which I doubt but I don't know, some people are weird and have an odd idea of their personal importance), and they're trying to do it by working on their commute or having groceries delivered, all that, if I even notice it, has an effect that's likely to surprise them - that was my main point. I am UNimpressed.

For the record, if my choices were "grocery shopping at WalMart or home delivery" I promise you, I'd choose home delivery EVERY time, because I absolutely hate stepping foot into any WalMart. So there's that. But we have a local grocery store that's a joy to shop in - for me, the foodie, it's a truly interesting tactile experience - so that's another reason why I prefer to do my own wandering through the grocery store. Oh my gosh, the produce department...the cheese department...the meat department...!

But like you, I also enjoy wandering through antique shops and farmer's markets. Hey, my husband and I are taking a road trip to Round Top, TX to the antique fair there which has the requirement that EVERYTHING displayed there is an actual antique, no reproductions! That's in April. My husband keeps calling it Rock Top and I keep calling it Round Head but I digress.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 03-22-2019 at 05:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology