Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 05:58 PM

53 posts, read 50,986 times

Advertisements

The premise in the original post seems backwards... if you have no time to shop for groceries because you are busy working so many hours. How is that impressive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 07:56 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,034,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla ice View Post
The premise in the original post seems backwards... if you have no time to shop for groceries because you are busy working so many hours. How is that impressive?

I think it's the idea of "Oh my time is just so darn important, I hire minions to deliver my groceries, food, etc."

The idea isn't grounded in reality obviously...but I think that's the thought.

Old 03-19-2019, 12:30 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Whenever I see someone working on their phone or laptop or iPad on the bus, or plane, or anywhere in public - or when I see someone having food or groceries delivered to their house - if I take note of it, my first feeling is pity. I'm certainly not impressed.

Old 03-19-2019, 02:38 PM

I don't think of it much one way or the other. "Oh, there's Mr. Stewart mowing his lawn" "Oh, there's Ms. Smith pulling weeds" "Oh, there's that nice lady getting a pizza delivered". It's just an observation to me. Not one loaded with any kind of...judgement I guess.

Now...I MIGHT notice, if the chef pulls up in the limo. LOL

Old 03-19-2019, 07:11 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,586,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Whenever I see someone working on their phone or laptop or iPad on the bus, or plane, or anywhere in public - or when I see someone having food or groceries delivered to their house - if I take note of it, my first feeling is pity. I'm certainly not impressed.
Do you think people are living their lives for you? I don't think they are doing it to impress you....Lol.....

Old 03-19-2019, 07:16 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,122,690 times

Old 03-20-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Do you think people are living their lives for you? I don't think they are doing it to impress you....Lol.....

Why would you say that? What did Kathryn say that made you think that?

Old 03-20-2019, 09:03 AM

801 posts, read 615,878 times
At one point, when I was a stay-at-home mom, we had our groceries delivered... we had one vehicle, one income, and small children. It was easier and cheaper to pay $10 for them to be delivered. I could go through and make my list while calm, the option for impulse buys was absent, and I didn't have to try to rush around when my husband came home from work. We had them delivered because a second car wasn't in the budget yet. I stayed home because daycare would have been too expensive. LOL - we had things delivered because we had less money, not more of it. I have no idea what my neighbors thought, if they thought anything.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:39 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,673,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Why do you pity them?

Old 03-20-2019, 09:18 PM

8,680 posts, read 3,876,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
I work as hard as anyone and have nearly no time with two young kids 10 and 8. Yet, I go out and do my own grocery shopping, my own lawn on weekends, etc. I do not envy them I think they are lazy and just wasting money on things they can easily do if they made the time. I have plenty of money to blow on those things but simply choose to not pay anyone to do what I can do myself.
What you are describing here is ‘choice’. You choose not to ‘blow’ your money on lawn maintenance and grocery shopping (which you have every right to do). So why is it you aren’t allowing someone else the option to choose how they spend THEIR money (not yours) without YOUR judgement?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology