Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2019, 06:19 PM

950 posts, read 697,417 times

Advertisements

Hello, Reed. Sorry about your Mother. May she rest in peace. Which I'm sure she is because she is free from the pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2019, 11:59 PM

11,087 posts, read 6,037,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
You have completely missed and mischaracterized my point-of-view. Let me restate it: There have been several people on this thread who have said it is "their right" to kill themselves - people have made the case that if they are in pain, it is "their right" to end it - that it is no one else's business, essentially.

If a person has this point-of-view, then to be congruent, they should feel it is also "right" to advocate for suicide - and that they would want to teach their children their views on people's rights - it's about congruency - if you truly feel that it is a person's right to kill themselves, then you should also be fine with teaching children that this is the correct course of action if a person does not wish to live further (no matter what the reason).

It's simply extending the logic of the argument that it is a person's "right."

I personally believe suicide is "wrong," and would teach children my beliefs in the sanctity of life.

One guy said he doesn't feel life is sacred. Okay, fine. And he is "for" suicide and the "right to kill yourself." So if he has kids, it would follow that he would teach them these beliefs. Same if he has a significant other. Before you get into a relationship with someone, you should tell them these beliefs - and if they agree with them, fine - if they don't, then maybe find someone who is okay with you killing yourself (and you finding the remains).

It's a logical argument. Nothing else.
No, it is not a logical argument and no, it does not follow that person would teach their kids to commit suicide if they believe it is the individual's right to assisted suicide.

Whether the individual has the right to take their own life is actually moot - they have the final say one way or the other but not so with assisted suicide.

The thing with suicide is that it often does have a painful impact on those left behind. However, to expect a person who is suffering to continue their suffering for one's own comfort ....

Old 07-21-2019, 02:24 AM

724 posts, read 433,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
No, it is not a logical argument and no, it does not follow that person would teach their kids to commit suicide if they believe it is the individual's right to assisted suicide.

Whether the individual has the right to take their own life is actually moot - they have the final say one way or the other but not so with assisted suicide.

The thing with suicide is that it often does have a painful impact on those left behind. However, to expect a person who is suffering to continue their suffering for one's own comfort ....
It is a logical argument. Feelings are not illogical. You just have to unpack them and analyze them and then they are easy to understand.

No one is expecting a person who is suffering to continue suffering. It has been proved that therapy helps people get better. So why not try everything before you

If you think that suicide is right, would you advice someone that is on the verge of giving up on life to try it?
If a person thinks yes, please slowly make your way to a therapist.

Old 07-21-2019, 06:04 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,567,746 times
Quote:

nobodysbusiness is bringing absurd logic to this discussion. What kind of parent would teach a child it's fine to commit suicide? in what context would that ever come up?! "Jimmy, I just want you know know - if you ever want to kill yourself don't hesitate." Lmao, this isn't what anyone is talking about in this thread. Nobodybusiness is just trying to distort and exaggerate the opinions of those who believe that suicide is a fundamental right and a personal decision that is ok to make if one cannot go on. She's makes these absurd arguments to push her BS agenda that one must go on no matter what until natural causes takes them. Why she does this who knows, maybe she's some bible thumper who can't stand the thought of others disagreeing with her dogma.
Of course everyone has a right to end it, and it's ok if they do. Humans have a tremendous will to fight and survive, and it's only when that is evaporated do people resort to suicide. It's totally a personal choice that everyone has, whether problems are temporary. Whether they care to keep trying. And it's ok, nobody's going to hell because that's a fairy tale. Hell on earth, on the other hand, is very real.

Last edited by duke944; 07-21-2019 at 06:15 PM..

Old 07-21-2019, 07:04 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,191,370 times
At this point in life, I can't think of a reason to tell another person not to commit suicide if they feel that they truly have nothing in life to live for. That person with no job, poor health, no family or friends, no hobbies, zero interest in anything other than watching television, moving from place to place without any chance of getting better or making good money has little reason to go on living while the rest of the world passes them by.

Old 07-21-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
At this point in life, I can't think of a reason to tell another person not to commit suicide if they feel that they truly have nothing in life to live for. That person with no job, poor health, no family or friends, no hobbies, zero interest in anything other than watching television, moving from place to place without any chance of getting better or making good money has little reason to go on living while the rest of the world passes them by.
Some people with everything to live for decide to end it. It's not just a choice for those with nothing. Bottom line is we all end up in the same place, the abyss. No matter how great your life is or how much money you have, you end up in the same place. The only factor here is timing.

Last edited by duke944; 07-21-2019 at 07:34 PM..

Old 07-21-2019, 07:53 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,683,317 times
Quote:

Why isn't it a logical argument? Why wouldn't it follow that a person who believes in the right to suicide would not teach that to their kids?

Old 07-21-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
nobodysbusiness is bringing absurd logic to this discussion. What kind of parent would teach a child it's fine to commit suicide? in what context would that ever come up?! "Jimmy, I just want you know know - if you ever want to kill yourself don't hesitate." Lmao, this isn't what anyone is talking about in this thread. Nobodybusiness is just trying to distort and exaggerate the opinions of those who believe that suicide is a fundamental right and a personal decision that is ok to make if one cannot go on. She's makes these absurd arguments to push her BS agenda that one must go on no matter what until natural causes takes them. Why she does this who knows, maybe she's some bible thumper who can't stand the thought of others disagreeing with her dogma.
Of course everyone has a right to end it, and it's ok if they do. Humans have a tremendous will to fight and survive, and it's only when that is evaporated do people resort to suicide. It's totally a personal choice that everyone has, whether problems are temporary. Whether they care to keep trying. And it's ok, nobody's going to hell because that's a fairy tale. Hell on earth, on the other hand, is very real.
If you believe the bolded, then why would you NOT teach that to your children?

It is simple logic - if you believe suicide is your "right," then you should be fine teaching that to kids.

You asked what context would it possibly come up in - it could simply be teaching your values, or it could be talking to your child after one of their friends (or one of yours, or maybe your spouse) has killed themselves.

I know with my loved one, when someone they knew killed themselves, I took it as an opportunity to teach my belief which is "wherever you go, there you are," so by the same principle, you who believe in suicide could take that opportunity to say "Johnny, life is sometimes hard and that's why your friend killed himself. It is our right to do so, and I just want you to know it's okay."

You can also add: "If things ever get too tough or uncomfortable, there is always suicide!"

That's the logical progression of believing it's your "right."

Old 07-21-2019, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
If you believe the bolded, then why would you NOT teach that to your children?

It is simple logic - if you believe suicide is your "right," then you should be fine teaching that to kids.

You asked what context would it possibly come up in - it could simply be teaching your values, or it could be talking to your child after one of their friends (or one of yours, or maybe your spouse) has killed themselves.

I know with my loved one, when someone they knew killed themselves, I took it as an opportunity to teach my belief which is "wherever you go, there you are," so by the same principle, you who believe in suicide could take that opportunity to say "Johnny, life is sometimes hard and that's why your friend killed himself. It is our right to do so, and I just want you to know it's okay."

You can also add: "If things ever get too tough or uncomfortable, there is always suicide!"

That's the logical progression of believing it's your "right."
Nobody gets taught to kill themselves. Suicides end up there for who knows what reasons, but the point is not to judge because - guess what? you might end up there some day. Toxic brain washing and guilt trips aren't healthy for children to be exposed to. Let children hammer out such issues on their own as they grow into adults.
And cut the drama childhood suicide crap, childhood suicides are extremely rare.

Old 07-21-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Nobody gets taught to kill themselves. Suicides end up there for who knows what reasons, but the point is not to judge because - guess what? you might end up there some day. Brain washing and guilt trips are the last thing a child needs to hear. Let children hammer out such issues on their own as they grow into adults.
And cut the drama childhood suicide crap, childhood suicides are extremely rare.
If you teach your kids your values, this should NOT be off limits.

And if you think it's fine, why WOULD it be off limits? If it's no big deal, there is no reason parents shouldn't be teaching kids that this is okay behavior and that there isn't really any guarantee that their parents will hang around, cuz you know life gets hard!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology