Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2019, 10:14 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,564,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohangr View Post
As I think back on the posts of this thread, I really appreciate the post where someone said "so you would teach your kids that suicide is a good option if you want out?"

Cause whatever bs you think everyone is saying, you are also telling yourself bs because you haven't been dead and you don't know what happens when you do. You hope we end up in the same place. You hope it is ok. You hope the result is the same now or later.

Maybe we do, maybe we don't. All I know is how to live.
Ok, let me explain it another way: if there exists a God who is going to toss everyone who commits suicide into hell, then hell is where I belong regardless of whether I ever commit suicide. I don't want any part of that kind of unfair judgement, because none of us had a choice regarding whether we were born or the circumstances we were born into. So given that, I've got nothing to lose with my beliefs. I'm pretty sure I'm right based on logic and evidence, but if I'm wrong and the bible is actually right, send me to the place nice people like Brad Delp and Robin Williams end up - that's cool. I wouldn't do well being among judgemental, self rightcheous souls. If there is a God, all I can do is hope that he isn't going to hold such a thing against someone - otherwise I don't want anything to do with Him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2019, 03:05 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,077,919 times
All I know is that I'm grateful I live in a state that supports assisted suicide for those that are terminal. I fully support any kind of euthanasia and assisted suicide - if we can do it for our animals, why can't humans be less selfish and do it for their human loved ones too?

I also support a pill to give to a suicidal person, however, since so many rethink it before actually doing it, I feel like there should be something in place to make sure it's not a spur of the moment thing.

I believe that each human being has the right to do what they want with their life; end it or otherwise. But it depends on their responsibilities in life. For example, you have no kids, do what you want you have no obligation to anyone to live. You have kids, well, you kinda have an obligation to live. I'm sure there are tons of "but what if's", but the point is, if you have no responsibilities to anyone else, then do as you please.

Old 08-20-2019, 03:43 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,365,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I have several friends who once felt the same, but are now very glad they didn't act on that.
What I mean is, a lot of people want me to kill myself. But I am glad for people that didn't quite go through it.

In my case, I'm just too curious to end it.

Old 08-20-2019, 06:06 PM

6,480 posts, read 4,016,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohangr View Post
As I think back on the posts of this thread, I really appreciate the post where someone said "so you would teach your kids that suicide is a good option if you want out?"

Cause whatever bs you think everyone is saying, you are also telling yourself bs because you haven't been dead and you don't know what happens when you do. You hope we end up in the same place. You hope it is ok. You hope the result is the same now or later.

Maybe we do, maybe we don't. All I know is how to live.
Because the world isn't full of people who do the same thing forever because they don't know for sure what happens if they make a change, and hence don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Lots of people have broken spirits. They are physically healthy nor poor, but they just. don't. want. to. live. anymore. Look at Brad Delp as an example.
And it's ok if they decide to exit. It's ok, because despite what fairy tale bs people tell themselves, we are all going to die anyway in time and we all end up in the same place. The result is the same, now or later, regardless of the cause of death.
Well, yes, did I say otherwise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
I also support a pill to give to a suicidal person, however, since so many rethink it before actually doing it, I feel like there should be something in place to make sure it's not a spur of the moment thing.
But I imagine it often is. Someone who is suicidal probably isn't ready to do it every minute of every day. It may indeed be spur-of-the-moment that someone who's been suicidal for a while but has been afraid to do it might suddenly get the chutzpah. Doesn't mean they didn't want to before... just means they now have the nerve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I have several friends who once felt the same, but are now very glad they didn't act on that.
Those are the cases you hear about. Nobody writes about the people who weren't successful and wish they had been (or keep trying).

Old 08-20-2019, 06:29 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,674,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Ok, let me explain it another way: if there exists a God who is going to toss everyone who commits suicide into hell, then hell is where I belong regardless of whether I ever commit suicide. I don't want any part of that kind of unfair judgement, because none of us had a choice regarding whether we were born or the circumstances we were born into. So given that, I've got nothing to lose with my beliefs. I'm pretty sure I'm right based on logic and evidence, but if I'm wrong and the bible is actually right, send me to the place nice people like Brad Delp and Robin Williams end up - that's cool. I wouldn't do well being among judgemental, self rightcheous souls. If there is a God, all I can do is hope that he isn't going to hold such a thing against someone - otherwise I don't want anything to do with Him.
Maybe you will just have extra work to do in not understanding the purpose of your natural life (per Delores Cannon, YouTube).

Old 08-21-2019, 11:38 AM

2,793 posts, read 4,077,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
But I imagine it often is. Someone who is suicidal probably isn't ready to do it every minute of every day. It may indeed be spur-of-the-moment that someone who's been suicidal for a while but has been afraid to do it might suddenly get the chutzpah. Doesn't mean they didn't want to before... just means they now have the nerve.

Those are the cases you hear about. Nobody writes about the people who weren't successful and wish they had been (or keep trying).
I'd agree. I also think many people don't have the means. I also think too many people feel guilty due to obligations or religion. It's sad, but the only thing that has kept me alive for the past 20 years is my dogs. If I didn't have them, I'm sure I would have checked out long ago.

I kept the other piece of your quote because I know of a few people who weren't successful and were mad about it and yup, tried again. I had an ex who was suicidal and his close friend kept saving him and so he felt obligated to her with this life (in his case, he didn't want to die deep down, but his mental illnesses kept pushing him to suicide), whereas, I've had someone "save" me once, and I was so angry at them for stopping me; they forced me to live a life I didn't want to live and why? Because they pushed their beliefs onto me.

Old 08-24-2019, 02:54 PM

950 posts, read 695,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
It's sad, but the only thing that has kept me alive for the past 20 years is my dogs. If I didn't have them, I'm sure I would have checked out long ago.

I kept the other piece of your quote because I know of a few people who weren't successful and were mad about it and yup, tried again. I had an ex who was suicidal and his close friend kept saving him and so he felt obligated to her with this life (in his case, he didn't want to die deep down, but his mental illnesses kept pushing him to suicide), whereas, I've had someone "save" me once, and I was so angry at them for stopping me; they forced me to live a life I didn't want to live and why? Because they pushed their beliefs onto me.
Interesting that you said that the only thing that has kept you alive for these many years is your dogs. There are others who feel the same way too. Can dogs be better company than humans??

Old 08-24-2019, 06:25 PM

950 posts, read 695,858 times
The internet is still abuzz about Epstein's suicide. His death is too pat and convenient. Since he was such a high-profile witness, how could the monitors have been so negligent? Not only high-profile but also suicidal.

Old 08-24-2019, 07:51 PM

9,207 posts, read 6,377,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monastic555 View Post
Interesting that you said that the only thing that has kept you alive for these many years is your dogs. There are others who feel the same way too. Can dogs be better company than humans??
Sure, why not?

Old 08-24-2019, 07:51 PM

260 posts, read 130,120 times
I could possibly support a pill but with some kind of required counseling to go through first or a "waiting period". There are many people who have a bad week or bad month and have thought about it, and then quickly change their minds. There are also people who are ill mentally that maybe could become better with medication or other treatments. It doesn't seem right to assist people who can't make the decision for themselves before it becomes murder. Loved ones should also be notified and participate in what's going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology