Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2019, 07:58 PM

1,023 posts, read 745,958 times

Advertisements

suicide is painless,

it brings on many changes.

And I can take or leave it if I please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2019, 09:20 PM

950 posts, read 696,035 times
Points well-taken. Because as you said, I also practice a period of waiting, during which I always come up with reasons to stay alive. SO FAR. Emphasis on the two words "so far."

Old 08-25-2019, 01:45 PM

950 posts, read 696,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allison7 View Post
I could possibly support a pill but with some kind of required counseling to go through first or a "waiting period". There are many people who have a bad week or bad month and have thought about it, and then quickly change their minds. There are also people who are ill mentally that maybe could become better with medication or other treatments. It doesn't seem right to assist people who can't make the decision for themselves before it becomes murder. Loved ones should also be notified and participate in what's going on.
I had forgotten to include that quote in my previous post about the so-called "suicidal waiting-period", so I add that quote belatedly.

Old 08-25-2019, 02:00 PM

53 posts, read 18,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedintime View Post
suicide is painless
Being tormented about people you knew and going insane because you weren't their enough is "painless"?

How about surviving an attempt? Bearing the guilt of causing trauma for others? Even if it's "Quick and clean" that does NOT change the situation.

This is like saying "Sky is blue". But it still has clouds that make rain which affects the land. Simply replace "Sky, cloud and land" With "X person, Y person, Z person". How they all affect each other. Physically painless? Maybe. But if you have the desire to off yourself in the first place you're sure as hell going through a lot of emotional turmoil. Mental pain. Hardly painless. What's more that pain is as much on others as it is on you. And you're all responsible. Killing yourself doesn't mean you're hands are clean from that responsibility. Nor does it end in death.

Old 08-25-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taramafor View Post
Being tormented about people you knew and going insane because you weren't their enough is "painless"?

How about surviving an attempt? Bearing the guilt of causing trauma for others? Even if it's "Quick and clean" that does NOT change the situation.

This is like saying "Sky is blue". But it still has clouds that make rain which affects the land. Simply replace "Sky, cloud and land" With "X person, Y person, Z person". How they all affect each other. Physically painless? Maybe. But if you have the desire to off yourself in the first place you're sure as hell going through a lot of emotional turmoil. Mental pain. Hardly painless. What's more that pain is as much on others as it is on you. And you're all responsible. Killing yourself doesn't mean you're hands are clean from that responsibility. Nor does it end in death.

The game of life is hard to play
I'm gonna lose it anyway
The losing card I'll someday lay
So this is all I have to say

Old 08-25-2019, 03:55 PM

53 posts, read 18,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedintime View Post
The game of life is hard to play
I'm gonna lose it anyway
The losing card I'll someday lay
So this is all I have to say
In a word... Bull****. Complete and utter bull****. Normally I'd pin this on ignorance, but you know full well what you just said.

You either make the effort to continue to play or you do not. And if you do not then you don't know the ****ing answer. Because then you didn't even TRY. That's not "losing anyway". That's giving up. BIG difference. Don't make excuses to give up.

Now, I'm not saying it's easy. But I am saying you just stated life is a losing game regardless. That is an insult to everyone that's struggled against it when the die have rolled snake eyes. We all FEEL that way but the truth is the possibility for things to improve can always appear down the line. In extremely unexpected ways. Ways we can not even predict because the cards have yet to be shown. And it's sure as hell much more likely to happen when you make an effort instead of wallowing in self pity.

Old 08-25-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
In a word... Bull****. Complete and utter bull****. Normally I'd pin this on ignorance, but you know full well what you just said.

You either make the effort to continue to play or you do not. And if you do not then you don't know the ****ing answer. Because then you didn't even TRY. That's not "losing anyway". That's giving up. BIG difference. Don't make excuses to give up.

Now, I'm not saying it's easy. But I am saying you just stated life is a losing game regardless. That is an insult to everyone that's struggled against it when the die have rolled snake eyes. We all FEEL that way but the truth is the possibility for things to improve can always appear down the line. In extremely unexpected ways. Ways we can not even predict because the cards have yet to be shown. And it's sure as hell much more likely to happen when you make an effort instead of wallowing in self pity.
I just think, once you realize that Life is Terminal. It's easier to continue to go on. No more worries about it.

Fighting it makes the pain continue. Accepting it brings a sense of calm & wonder. Like, What might happen tomorrow ? It'd be pretty cool to see, so think I'll stick around.

You know the saying ' can't get out of life alive'

Old 08-25-2019, 04:35 PM

176 posts, read 129,952 times
I feel if a person is terminally ill and the prognosis is that they will have a very difficult and lingering death, it is their right to end their life as painlessly and peacefully as they see fit. I know there is the argument put forth by many that the right to die will become the obligation to die and there will certainly be cases of abuse by family and people looking to profit from a persons death. But if faced with that situation I personally would want the option to go out on my own terms.

I am not aware of the existing rules in different states linked to assisted suicide however I believe anyone who is contemplating this should be required to see a 2nd doctor about the diagnosis and treatment options and at least two psychiatric professionals who are trained for these situations who can advise but not have veto power over the final decision.

If you are older or you have a potentially terminal illness this should be an early discussion and not when you are so ill or drugged up as to not be fully aware of your decision.

Old 08-25-2019, 06:47 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,568,677 times
The opposition to suicide is largely ideological and selfish. Whether or not it's justified to anyone else doesn't matter. Is it justified to you? You're the one who has to live with your pain.

I wish I could help. I know help doesn't always work. For that reason I'm not opposed to assisted end-of-life options, at any time, really. Some people just don't have more to live for. Some have achieved all they need to long before their bodies age out.

Old 08-25-2019, 10:10 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,565,113 times
Quote:

Pick your poison - die sooner by your own hand or die later of old age, the end result is exactly the same. At least that's what I believe, you are free to believe in fairy tales if it helps you. What you shouldn't do is apply your judgements onto others, everyone has their own path.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology