Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 07:14 AM

854 posts, read 522,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taramafor View Post
In a word... Bull****. Complete and utter bull****. Normally I'd pin this on ignorance, but you know full well what you just said.

You either make the effort to continue to play or you do not. And if you do not then you don't know the ****ing answer. Because then you didn't even TRY. That's not "losing anyway". That's giving up. BIG difference. Don't make excuses to give up.

Now, I'm not saying it's easy. But I am saying you just stated life is a losing game regardless. That is an insult to everyone that's struggled against it when the die have rolled snake eyes. We all FEEL that way but the truth is the possibility for things to improve can always appear down the line. In extremely unexpected ways. Ways we can not even predict because the cards have yet to be shown. And it's sure as hell much more likely to happen when you make an effort instead of wallowing in self pity.
You're really annoying. Your toxic positivity isn't helping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Pick your poison - die sooner by your own hand or die later of old age, the end result is exactly the same. At least that's what I believe, you are free to believe in fairy tales if it helps you. What you shouldn't do is apply your judgements onto others, everyone has their own path.
It's kind of ironic that those who are against suicide / positive thinking types tend to be the most abrasive and judgmental. I wonder why that is?

Old 08-26-2019, 05:03 PM

260 posts, read 130,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Cat-Lady View Post
It's kind of ironic that those who are against suicide / positive thinking types tend to be the most abrasive and judgmental. I wonder why that is?
Most people aren't against suicide, although if it was a family member or a friend, I would really try to help them and change their mind. Maybe that is selfish, but I don't see how you could not try to help???

People who are against suicide or judgemental about it are probably religious. That doesn't have anything to do with positive thinking.

Old 08-26-2019, 07:20 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,567,459 times
Quote:
It's an ego thing. They think their reality is the same as everyone else's, so because they don't feel suicidal they think anyone who does is weak. These people just aren't very bright.

Old 08-26-2019, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
It's an ego thing. They think their reality is the same as everyone else's, so because they don't feel suicidal they think anyone who does is weak. These people just aren't very bright.
Even people who say they've "recovered" from mental illness do this though. There are people who don't know you who will insist that it will get better and will tell you you're loved. What world do these people live in, because it ain't mine?

Old 08-26-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allison7 View Post
Most people aren't against suicide, although if it was a family member or a friend, I would really try to help them and change their mind. Maybe that is selfish, but I don't see how you could not try to help???

People who are against suicide or judgemental about it are probably religious. That doesn't have anything to do with positive thinking.
I know Christians are anti suicide. Bur I'm referring to people who are against suicide for non religious reasons. Suicide prevention advocates for example. They're only interested in preventing suicide but not preventing suffering. They beiheve in life no matter what.

Old 08-26-2019, 10:51 PM

260 posts, read 130,294 times
Quote:
I know Christians are anti suicide. Bur I'm referring to people who are against suicide for non religious reasons. Suicide prevention advocates for example. They're only interested in preventing suicide but not preventing suffering. They beiheve in life no matter what.
I don't know anyone who would be against suicide except religious people, but I do know if it was a friend of mine or a family member, I would have to talk to them about it and try every way I could to help their suffering so they didn't want to commit suicide. I've never had to be that up close to it, but when I hear about assisted suicide I'm not against it with the right conditions.

Old 08-26-2019, 11:38 PM

11,087 posts, read 6,036,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taramafor View Post
In a word... Bull****. Complete and utter bull****. Normally I'd pin this on ignorance, but you know full well what you just said.

You either make the effort to continue to play or you do not. And if you do not then you don't know the ****ing answer. Because then you didn't even TRY. That's not "losing anyway". That's giving up. BIG difference. Don't make excuses to give up.

Now, I'm not saying it's easy. But I am saying you just stated life is a losing game regardless. That is an insult to everyone that's struggled against it when the die have rolled snake eyes. We all FEEL that way but the truth is the possibility for things to improve can always appear down the line. In extremely unexpected ways. Ways we can not even predict because the cards have yet to be shown. And it's sure as hell much more likely to happen when you make an effort instead of wallowing in self pity.
I have to ask, are speaking from experience? I mean, were you suicidal at some stage?

Old 08-27-2019, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allison7 View Post
I don't know anyone who would be against suicide except religious people, but I do know if it was a friend of mine or a family member, I would have to talk to them about it and try every way I could to help their suffering so they didn't want to commit suicide. I've never had to be that up close to it, but when I hear about assisted suicide I'm not against it with the right conditions.
In my case, I have no friends or family, no dependents. It wouldn't be 'selfish'. I'm a burden to society, so it would be unselfish, if anything. This isn't a whim. I've felt this way for years and it never goes away,not even on non-bad days.

I agree that some sort of 'waiting period' is necessary in the case of assisted suicide. There are people who commit suicide on a sudden whim and they are the ones that can be helped and should be helped, if anything. They're the ones that if they survive, they're usually glad they did.

Old 08-27-2019, 09:24 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,567,459 times
Quote:
In my case, I have no friends or family, no dependents. It wouldn't be 'selfish'. I'm a burden to society, so it would be unselfish, if anything. This isn't a whim. I've felt this way for years and it never goes away,not even on non-bad days.

I agree that some sort of 'waiting period' is necessary in the case of assisted suicide. There are people who commit suicide on a sudden whim and they are the ones that can be helped and should be helped, if anything. They're the ones that if they survive, they're usually glad they did.
Most people who want to die don't commit suicide, because they don't have the constitution for it. The human will to live is extremely strong, regardless of how depressed about life you are, and because suicide isn't legitimized by society the only reliable methods are gruesome and potentially agonizing. Considering you've felt this way for so long I doubt you will ever take that step. Don't take this as some sort of challenge, it's just what I think is most likely. I'd guess for every person who actually commits suicide there's at least a hundred people who live in quiet desperation, wishing they were dead - I think the way you feel is pretty common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology