Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2019, 10:21 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,780,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Cat-Lady View Post
I don't have anybody. I'm not joking or exaggerating either. I'm estranged from my family of origin. I don't think they'd be surprised if I killed myself but I'm sure they'd play the sympathy card by saying they never saw it coming etc. I just know what I want but I'm not quite at the point where I can override the fear of dying itself or failure just yet. I'm not wanted or needed here, I can't cope with life and I sure as he'ck don't want to be here either.
Remember, family is overrated. They are not worth you checking out, especially if they are not even in touch with you. I am sorry you are in this dark place. I wish I could say something to help. But you are not alone in having no one (as ironic as that sounds).

Do you still have your kitties?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2019, 10:27 AM

854 posts, read 522,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
Remember, family is overrated. They are not worth you checking out, especially if they are not even in touch with you. I am sorry you are in this dark place. I wish I could say something to help. But you are not alone in having no one (as ironic as that sounds).

Do you still have your kitties?
No. My mum has them.

I am alone though. The "you are not alone" thing is just something people say when there's nothing else to be said. Just like "it will get better". I'm just using whatever time I have to educate people on how damaging loneliness and isolation are.

Old 08-04-2019, 10:35 AM

29,775 posts, read 34,526,519 times
Quote:
I am alone though. The "you are not alone" thing is just something people say when there's nothing else to be said. Just like "it will get better". I'm just using whatever time I have to educate people on how damaging loneliness and isolation are.
That's where the idea of "you make your own family" comes into play. I recently binged the series Pose, about the LGBT ballroom scene in NYC in the 80s, and it's notable that everyone depicted there was rejected by their biological families, but they found like-minded people who became their "real" family. Obviously it's not always that simple, but the concept is out there.

Old 08-04-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That's where the idea of "you make your own family" comes into play. I recently binged the series Pose, about the LGBT ballroom scene in NYC in the 80s, and it's notable that everyone depicted there was rejected by their biological families, but they found like-minded people who became their "real" family. Obviously it's not always that simple, but the concept is out there.
That sort of thing is quite rare, unfortunately. Society is becoming increasingly polarised and self absorbed and a lot of people are being left behind to fend for themselves.

Old 08-04-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
No. My mum has them.

I meant not alone in that there are others who don't have anybody. I did not mean to imply that you were not alone. I don't have anyone, either. I have friends, but "fair-weather" friends. I know if something happened - like sickness, injury, homelessness, etc. - I know they would not be there for me. Only my mom cared and she is now passed.

I am sorry about your kitties. That must have been a major life upheaval in having to part with them.

Old 08-04-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
That sort of thing is quite rare, unfortunately. Society is becoming increasingly polarised and self absorbed and a lot of people are being left behind to fend for themselves.
This is very true. People talk the talk, but when major life events occur, you find yourself alone navigating the storm and wondering what the **** to do.

Old 08-06-2019, 06:17 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,452,597 times
Suicide is not cool because God has a plan for everybody's life, including you. It's just finding the plan God has for you. Some never find it. The plan never includes somebody taking there own life.

Old 08-06-2019, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity2019 View Post
Suicide is not cool because God has a plan for everybody's life, including you. It's just finding the plan God has for you. Some never find it. The plan never includes somebody taking there own life.
Get lost

Old 08-06-2019, 10:12 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,931,995 times
Who is the one to justify it?
Who gets to pronounce ONE suicide "justified" and the other "not justified"
by whom I mean a living being, not some fairy tale diety

I think PLENTY people of sound mind and body take their lives...if you don't want to live then that's up to you...many people probably struggle through because they are afraid of atonement to some diety when they die, or afraid of hurting their families

If I had no kids I would probably have done it this year...
I am not terminally ill, I am in no more pain than any other 50 something
Im just done
But now I carry on for my kids, and for my future grand kids
but I am miserable...and of sound mind

Old 08-06-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
Who is the one to justify it?
Who gets to pronounce ONE suicide "justified" and the other "not justified"
by whom I mean a living being, not some fairy tale diety

I think PLENTY people of sound mind and body take their lives...if you don't want to live then that's up to you...many people probably struggle through because they are afraid of atonement to some diety when they die, or afraid of hurting their families

If I had no kids I would probably have done it this year...
I am not terminally ill, I am in no more pain than any other 50 something
Im just done
But now I carry on for my kids, and for my future grand kids
but I am miserable...and of sound mind
If I had kids, I wouldn't end my life no matter how tough it got. But I don't and never will. I'm utterly alone and free to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology