Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 09:15 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I am quite amazed that people have such a variety of what is appropriate. Isnt this the age of "judge not, lest you be judged"
No, this is the age of "Take a quote out of context to excuse the fact that someone is an idiot."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2019, 11:19 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionExperience View Post
It's not about body shaming.

You should go to a nude beach or go back to where every you came from.

American Hangups to curb chaos is what made us the world Superpower.
Whoa, buddy! American hangups = World Power?

OK.

Been to a nude beach, but not from one. Take it easy, dude (or dudette)

I'd go back to SoCal where I'm from but hey! Too much flesh flashed there, LOL. (kidding)

Old 07-14-2019, 11:31 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,636,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimNChicago View Post
People have been policing women's clothes and bodies for centuries, likely since monotheism was adopted. I'm always happy to see women bucking society's rules and laws.
Looking like a cheap ho isn’t a feminist statement, I’m sorry. Classy girls understand how to dress and that’s not like they’re street walkers. You can dress however you want and I’ll judge it as much as I want. Free country and all that. You dress like a lady of the night, I’ll assume you’re loose.

Old 07-14-2019, 12:46 PM

8,667 posts, read 3,868,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It's been hinted at, too, that sometimes young people in their first internships or jobs need to be taught that there's a difference between getting dressed up to go out vs. getting dressed up for work. They might not know that their "good" clothes aren't good for every occasion.
Generally speaking - people aren’t giving credit to most women in corporate, professional positions to know the difference between work and club/dressed up attire; and the reality is, most do (or they would likely not have been hired in the first place if they had no clue whatsoever). Also, it would become part of any training or internship for those who are not aware.

When dress codes are violated, it’s usually minor (and almost always leans in the direction of too casual as opposed to ‘inappropriately dressed up’ or showing too much skin). I have yet to see a woman show up dressed for clubbing (or inappropriately dressed up) at my work in 15 years. It just doesn’t happen (or was addressed before I was aware of it).

Old 07-14-2019, 01:28 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post

When dress codes are violated, it’s usually minor (and almost always leans in the direction of too casual as opposed to ‘inappropriately dressed up’ or showing too much skin). I have yet to see a woman show up dressed for clubbing (or inappropriately dressed up) at my work in 15 years. It just doesn’t happen (or was addressed before I was aware of it).
I've had to have that talk with an intern. We have a casual workplace, but not that casual. I also saw it at a networking event for students and alums of my graduate program. Several of the young women there were wearing strappy stilettos they couldn't walk in or little black dresses that weren't quite professional. It might have been what they had in their closet--grad students aren't known for having a lot of disposable income to buy a new wardrobe. It's not common, but it happens.

Old 07-14-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I've had to have that talk with an intern. We have a casual workplace, but not that casual. I also saw it at a networking event for students and alums of my graduate program. Several of the young women there were wearing strappy stilettos they couldn't walk in or little black dresses that weren't quite professional. It might have been what they had in their closet--grad students aren't known for having a lot of disposable income to buy a new wardrobe. It's not common, but it happens.
Grad students in business or law are not known for poor judgment either (especially with mentors and internships). I’ve not ever seen a woman show up in a short, tight black dress with stilettos - I have seen many be too casual in ripped jeans (or even shorts). I know the tech world is different (and extremely casual) - I’ve seen clients in shorts and a t-shirt many times (but here again, no stilettos and black dresses - lol).

Old 07-14-2019, 02:23 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
While Chanel said...less is more ..it wasn't about flashing skin.
Eloquent,stately is both an attitude and clothing choice.

In court it's expected to be suited up.
In other social places of business importance ..University, labs,board rooms. Certain ceremonies carry a dress code .

Keep some things a mystery.

Old 07-14-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
While Chanel said...less is more ..it wasn't about flashing skin.
Eloquent,stately is both an attitude and clothing choice.

In court it's expected to be suited up.
In other social places of business importance ..University, labs,board rooms. Certain ceremonies carry a dress code .

Keep some things a mystery.
Beaches and corporate/personal dinner parties, for example, are not places of ‘mystery’ or puritanism (and simply can’t be compared to a courtroom or professional workplace environment). It’s ridiculous to even suggest it’s part of the same argument in the thread, because everyone agrees with professional dress codes when it comes to ‘too much skin’.

That said, it is not acceptable to drink at work either - but it is acceptable (even expected) at a corporate dinner party. Some even get drunk. There is always a way of taking things too far - the point is, it’s a personal choice for women to make. Not ours - or Chanel's.

Old 07-14-2019, 07:16 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,028,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Whoa, buddy! American hangups = World Power?

OK.

Been to a nude beach, but not from one. Take it easy, dude (or dudette)

I'd go back to SoCal where I'm from but hey! Too much flesh flashed there, LOL. (kidding)
When immigrants stop gawking and intimidating, I might be more accepting.

I have been to South Beach Miami, that beach scene is coming to N.J.

Old 07-15-2019, 10:48 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
At my daughter's high school, the principal demonstrated the appropriate length for shorts and skirts by putting her arms down by her sides. Shorts and skirts must reach the end of the fingertips.

A week later, my daughter got dress-coded for having shorts that were too short. She showed the principal that they actually did reach the ends of her fingers.

The principal went, hmmm. It turned out that the principal has a very short torso and long arms, and her fingertips almost reach her knees.

My daughter has a longer torso and shorter arms. Her fingertips clear her rear end by a couple of inches and stop 7" above her knees.

Shorts and skirts that look very modest on the principal look very short on my daughter.

It's not always as easy as it seems.

I get the dilemma. One time I wore shorts that SOMEONE complained about. I got called in to HR. I was asked to do the fingertip test, which I passed, with about 1/2 inch to spare. The rule was the rule, and I passed. Which is the point of having the rule in the first place. So people can't subjectively make up the rules as they go because they don't like you or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology