Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2022, 12:39 PM

17,804 posts, read 13,708,449 times

Advertisements

I suppose that there could be pathology involved.

However, for some people it scratches where it itches and they do it because it gives them some sort of reward.

However, just about everyone is that way in some sort of endeavor.

A lot of these people just laugh at people who do exercise just for "health".

There is no challenge in doing that.

Any wuss can go in and do a light workout. Just like any wuss can jog 3 miles. Just like any wuss can ride a stationary bike for 20 minutes.

If you want a challenge in those areas then you need to do more than that. And that's what a lot of those people want. So they train harder than what is required for their "health".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2022, 12:43 PM

1,655 posts, read 776,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I suppose that there could be pathology involved.

However, for some people it scratches where it itches and they do it because it gives them some sort of reward.

However, just about everyone is that way in some sort of endeavor.

A lot of these people just laugh at people who do exercise just for "health".

There is no challenge in doing that.

Any wuss can go in and do a light workout. Just like any wuss can jog 3 miles. Just like any wuss can ride a stationary bike for 20 minutes.

If you want a challenge in those areas then you need to do more than that. And that's what a lot of those people want. So they train harder than what is required for their "health".
I wonder what our training and bodies would look like if they were invisible to other people.

Old 09-14-2022, 12:43 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAmericaGo View Post
Working out to feel better may be one thing…but a lot of ones life revolving around looking a certain way may be another. It seems like a lot of people will defend that by claiming “I do it for me”. But I guess at some extremes people with things like anorexia also do it for themselves in some way.
I am starting to wonder in what state you live in. You seem to live in an area where people don't care about looking good/healthy/fit/living longer and look down on people who put effort in their appearance.

It reminds me of living in Virginia, where I got bullied for not being overweight and for working out.

Just because you care about how you look, how you feel, put pride in your appearance, want to slow aging down and look attractive to yourself and the opposite gender doesn't mean you have body dysmorphia. I more likely would want to say to people who are lazy/don't do any physical activity/are overweight/eat unhealthy and let themselves go are the ones who have given up. That's more of an issue than trying to be your best.

Old 09-14-2022, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I am starting to wonder in what state you live in. You seem to live in an area where people don't care about looking good/healthy/fit/living longer and look down on people who put effort in their appearance.

It reminds me of living in Virginia, where I got bullied for not being overweight and for working out.

Just because you care about how you look, how you feel, put pride in your appearance, want to slow aging down and look attractive to yourself and the opposite gender doesn't mean you have body dysmorphia. I more likely would want to say to people who are lazy/don't do any physical activity/are overweight/eat unhealthy and let themselves go are the ones who have given up. That's more of an issue than trying to be your best.
I think you are trying a little too hard to get inside my mind and rationalize viewpoints that may make you uncomfortable to some degree.

With that said, could a person eat healthy and exercise without giving a crap about how they look or look to other people…no need for validation and a mindset of I am what I am. That would seem closer to overall health inside and out to me.

Last edited by GoAmericaGo; 09-14-2022 at 12:57 PM..

Old 09-14-2022, 12:57 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
Quote:
I think you are trying a little too hard to get inside my mind and rationalize viewpoints that may make you uncomfortable to some degree.
yes, it makes me uncomfortable that you suspect that people like me have a mental health condition because I work out and want to look good for myself and others. I can assure you that I - as well as everyone of my friends - are completely mentally sane. All of us work out at the gym or are otherwise active and wear clean clothing with no holes in public.

Old 09-14-2022, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
yes, it makes me uncomfortable that you suspect that people like me have a mental health condition because I work out and want to look good for myself and others. I can assure you that I - as well as everyone of my friends - are completely mentally sane. All of us work out at the gym or are otherwise active and wear clean clothing with no holes in public.
If you’re comfortable with how you view yourself there’s no need to seek approval from me.

Old 09-14-2022, 01:01 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,196,520 times
Quote:
Just thought this would be an interesting discussion. It’s a topic I don’t see discussed much and I know it can offend many of those who are passionate of their “fitness”.

When you think about it, how much strength and endurance does the average person need to be considered healthy?

What about when people start revolving a large part of their life around honing in that “better” physique? To the point of making massive changes to their diets, being on a very regimented gym routine, taking supplements, sometimes steroids, worrying about protein, getting the perfect body fat percentage, tracking every bite of food, watching videos/reading about how to workout better etc.

Is there some sort of body dysmorphia or narcissism that is the basis for much of the fitness world we see today?
Addiction. Same as drugs: a biochemical dependency. Innocent though for the rest of the society
Much better than actual drugs, alcohol, etc

Old 09-14-2022, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
Addiction. Same as drugs: a biochemical dependency. Innocent though for the rest of the society
Much better than actual drugs, alcohol, etc
I wonder if fitness is a generally agreed upon “healthy” way for many to funnel narcissism and the need for validation. I say that timidly because I know those words are likely to trigger some.

Old 09-14-2022, 01:14 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,158,420 times
Quote:
Working out to feel better may be one thing…but a lot of ones life revolving around looking a certain way may be another. It seems like a lot of people will defend that by claiming “I do it for me”. But I guess at some extremes people with things like anorexia also do it for themselves in some way.
There will always be some people who take things to extreme. But...even then, you have those who compete, and definitely go to an extreme, but do it for the sport of it...but it can be extreme.

I'm thinking about Olympic contenders. My husband worked with a man who's wife and daughter moved to Colorado Springs so she could be on the gymnastics program. Some would say that's pretty extreme. But maybe the daughter says "I want to be the best and get the gold medal."

Is the goal of being buff and ripped much different than being the best at gymnastics, or practicing baseball all day every day any different? Are people supposed to just be happy at being mediocre? Are you trying to make the argument that THAT'S what healthy people should strive for? Mediocrity?

Old 09-14-2022, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
There will always be some people who take things to extreme. But...even then, you have those who compete, and definitely go to an extreme, but do it for the sport of it...but it can be extreme.

I'm thinking about Olympic contenders. My husband worked with a man who's wife and daughter moved to Colorado Springs so she could be on the gymnastics program. Some would say that's pretty extreme. But maybe the daughter says "I want to be the best and get the gold medal."

Is the goal of being buff and ripped much different than being the best at gymnastics, or practicing baseball all day every day any different? Are people supposed to just be happy at being mediocre? Are you trying to make the argument that THAT'S what healthy people should strive for? Mediocrity?
I listened to some famous trainer talk not long ago and he said being the extreme best in something usually isn’t healthy long term. He said a lot if not most Olympian’s he’s worked with would take or do something that means they die in 5 years if it means achieving their goal of being the best.

And bringing up the word mediocre opens another discussion. You say it in way like people can’t possibly be happy if they are considered mediocre relative to other people. What does that say about the person? Does it say anything about society?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology