Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2022, 05:50 PM

1,655 posts, read 776,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
https://www.cdc.gov/falls/data/fall-deaths.html

Fighting sarcopenia actually requires the same regimen--a systematic plan of serious weight training and significant diet changes (compared to the "standard American diet")--as natural body building...because the person is actually doing the same thing. And an older person fighting sarcopenia will look different from a person who has given in to it.
I don’t think this addressed my point. You simply picked a certain condition in which weight training is more beneficial to the alternative which is not weight training. I never argued that such a condition doesn’t exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2022, 06:04 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,257,106 times
I don't think it's necessary to pathologize gym rats.

Old 09-14-2022, 06:46 PM

28,678 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAmericaGo View Post
I don’t think this addressed my point. You simply picked a certain condition in which weight training is more beneficial to the alternative which is not weight training. I never argued that such a condition doesn’t exist.
You explicitly asked me about how weight training could extend a person's life.

I gave you the explicit answer.

Old 09-14-2022, 06:50 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Every planet fitness and ymca in my area is a sea of vehicles and I’m not directly in a large city. At 5 yesterday I would estimate 250+ cars at my local YMCA….the walk to get to the building is a mini workout.
I don't understand. How does the number of vehicles at your YMCA relate to your topic? Your topic is body dysmorphia or other personality disorders (narcissism, or narc. tendencies) in body builders or gym patrons.

Old 09-14-2022, 07:40 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,987,069 times
I think some -- or a lot of -- runners are actually addicted to the high.

Old 09-14-2022, 07:46 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,683,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I think some -- or a lot of -- runners are actually addicted to the high.
I think people like a lot of gym activities for this reason. You can focus on the task at hand and NOT something else like work. I actually enjoy exercising and listening to a podcast or audiobook. I also do pottery, but from purely a cost perspective, pottery is expensive. It’s also a place where you can see your progress- be it being able to lift heavier, do more reps, or go faster or with more resistance on a machine.

Old 09-14-2022, 07:51 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,987,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
It’s also a place where you can see your progress- be it being able to lift heavier, do more reps, or go faster or with more resistance on a machine.
I did a "free trial week" at a couple of gyms and was struck by how it could be almost an adult day care for retirees. You can shower and change and be there first thing in the morning, just like a job, then work hard all day in classes and on machines, socialize with others, and leave tired but satisfied at the end of the day.

All you wouldn't be getting is a paycheck, but if you have Silver Sneakers, at least your membership is free!

Old 09-14-2022, 08:14 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,117,033 times
People go to the gym for a variety of reasons.

I went years ago to lose weight and to be in better shape before I entered the dating world. I felt great about myself as a result and more confident. In the months following these gains, I met my spouse.

Some people go to the gym for the community. CrossFit, for instance, is very communal, much like a church.

Some people go to burn stress after work.

Some people go for the achievement in their gains (weight loss, muscle growth).

Some people go because they are passionate about body building.

There is nothing inherently wrong in finding a healthy outlet in your life.

Old 09-14-2022, 09:42 PM

2,157 posts, read 1,445,163 times
Quote:
Just thought this would be an interesting discussion. It’s a topic I don’t see discussed much and I know it can offend many of those who are passionate of their “fitness”.

When you think about it, how much strength and endurance does the average person need to be considered healthy?

What about when people start revolving a large part of their life around honing in that “better” physique? To the point of making massive changes to their diets, being on a very regimented gym routine, taking supplements, sometimes steroids, worrying about protein, getting the perfect body fat percentage, tracking every bite of food, watching videos/reading about how to workout better etc.

Is there some sort of body dysmorphia or narcissism that is the basis for much of the fitness world we see today?
when I was 17-25 I wanted to look good for the ladies and I thought the gym would be good...and it was.
in my 30's I think it was habit and I liked reaching new strength goals
In my 40's until my current age 54, I gave up and thought the gym was a big waste of time/energy
Soon I'll be going back to the gym with my younger son to improve my health, and because I want to get him off the couch and into some habits involving movement. So I think it is a good twofer.

Personally, I loathe the thought of going to the gym but after I stopped working my ultra-physical job, I don't move around as much, and I think I'm deteriorating a bit.

To your question, YES I think for some people it is an unhealthy obsession.... but as far as unhealthy obsessions go, it is less harmful than many others. The time it takes to drive/workout/drive/shower can be a big block out of a person's day. Maybe for some people it is a way to meet a future husband/wife/boyfriend/girlfriend.

Old 09-14-2022, 09:54 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,176,533 times
Quote:
Just thought this would be an interesting discussion. It’s a topic I don’t see discussed much and I know it can offend many of those who are passionate of their “fitness”.

When you think about it, how much strength and endurance does the average person need to be considered healthy?

What about when people start revolving a large part of their life around honing in that “better” physique? To the point of making massive changes to their diets, being on a very regimented gym routine, taking supplements, sometimes steroids, worrying about protein, getting the perfect body fat percentage, tracking every bite of food, watching videos/reading about how to workout better etc.

Is there some sort of body dysmorphia or narcissism that is the basis for much of the fitness world we see today?
I think when combined with a very specific, restrictive diet, it can be, for men in particular. My ex used to run a lot of 50- and 100-mile races, to the point where a typical weekend for him, if he wasn't racing, was to run about 30 miles each day, and about 10 during work days with one or two rest days. Add that to his food rules - we had to eat an extreme low-fat diet. (He ended up having a non-fatal heart attack at age 64, anyway, with a cholesterol level of 120, but there was another health issue contributing to that).

I would venture to say that a lot of this behavior, whether it be excessive exercising with or without rigid diet rules, is also rooted in an unhealthy need for control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology