Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2022, 10:01 AM

1,655 posts, read 776,311 times

Advertisements

Just thought this would be an interesting discussion. It’s a topic I don’t see discussed much and I know it can offend many of those who are passionate of their “fitness”.

When you think about it, how much strength and endurance does the average person need to be considered healthy?

What about when people start revolving a large part of their life around honing in that “better” physique? To the point of making massive changes to their diets, being on a very regimented gym routine, taking supplements, sometimes steroids, worrying about protein, getting the perfect body fat percentage, tracking every bite of food, watching videos/reading about how to workout better etc.

Is there some sort of body dysmorphia or narcissism that is the basis for much of the fitness world we see today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2022, 10:08 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,158,420 times
Is it much different than say...honing makeup artistry, or fine tuning a look or a style? Or, plastic surgery?

Seems like there's a point where it all CAN go too far...but I guess, in the long run, if they're not actually hurting themselves, or beginning to look grotesque...does it matter?

Old 09-14-2022, 10:24 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times
Yes for some, no for others.

I would also not characterize bodybuilding and fitness modeling to be "much of the fitness world we see today." It's a hobby for a few. I know exactly two women who do this level of fitness and they are competitors.

Old 09-14-2022, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Yes for some, no for others.

I would also not characterize bodybuilding and fitness modeling to be "much of the fitness world we see today." It's a hobby for a few. I know exactly two women who do this level of fitness and they are competitors.
Every planet fitness and ymca in my area is a sea of vehicles and I’m not directly in a large city. At 5 yesterday I would estimate 250+ cars at my local YMCA….the walk to get to the building is a mini workout.

Old 09-14-2022, 10:45 AM

9,984 posts, read 5,686,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAmericaGo View Post
Every planet fitness and ymca in my area is a sea of vehicles and I’m not directly in a large city. At 5 yesterday I would estimate 250+ cars at my local YMCA….the walk to get to the building is a mini workout.
I bet a lot of those people aren't working manual labor jobs like a large swath of the workforce did a century ago. People used to get all the workout they needed during their daily routine. Now that routine for most of us consists in sitting or standing around all day, so of course a substitute means of getting adequate exercise has developed in response.

Old 09-14-2022, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
I bet a lot of those people aren't working manual labor jobs like a large swath of the workforce did a century ago. People used to get all the workout they needed during their daily routine. Now that routine for most of us consists in sitting or standing around all day, so of course a substitute means of getting adequate exercise has developed in response.
I think you have a point…look at tanning too. People go to tanning beds, use fake tans or women put on make up to give their skin a darker shade…this used to be a thing for the people who had to work outside all day. It’s like we want the look of people that did very labor intensive work despite not having to do it.

I imagine there was a time when people were so caught up in doing the actual work that they didn’t really have the time or energy to sit around looking in a mirror admiring or striving to get the look.

Last edited by GoAmericaGo; 09-14-2022 at 12:04 PM..

Old 09-14-2022, 12:04 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Is it much different than say...honing makeup artistry, or fine tuning a look or a style? Or, plastic surgery?

Seems like there's a point where it all CAN go too far...but I guess, in the long run, if they're not actually hurting themselves, or beginning to look grotesque...does it matter?
Right, there are some behaviors that when taken to an extreme are disordered and obsessive, even when done in the name of health and fitness. If you watch interviews with actors like Hugh Jackman and Channing Tatum, a lot of what they had to do to look "ripped" for films is absolutely unhealthy. They'll be the first to admit that no one should be doing that for free.

Old 09-14-2022, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Right, there are some behaviors that when taken to an extreme are disordered and obsessive, even when done in the name of health and fitness. If you watch interviews with actors like Hugh Jackman and Channing Tatum, a lot of what they had to do to look "ripped" for films is absolutely unhealthy. They'll be the first to admit that no one should be doing that for free.
A lot of these actors don’t admit to using steroids either….they tell people about some random workout they did to get jacked in 5 months. Look at someone like the Rock who claims to have only dabbled in steroids at like age 18.

Old 09-14-2022, 12:15 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,158,420 times
You make it seem that working out is a pathology applied to most people.

Old 09-14-2022, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
You make it seem that working out is a pathology applied to most people.
Working out to feel better may be one thing…but a lot of ones life revolving around looking a certain way may be another. It seems like a lot of people will defend that by claiming “I do it for me”. But I guess at some extremes people with things like anorexia also do it for themselves in some way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology