Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2022, 10:08 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times

Advertisements

Maybe such people are just superficial; concerned with surface appearances and the body itself (the vessel) versus what the body houses (mind and soul). Or they feel it's something they have control over. Or it's a distraction to avoid thinking about deeper subjects. I do think certain hardcore gym rats have a form of OCD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2022, 07:45 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Maybe such people are just superficial; concerned with surface appearances and the body itself (the vessel) versus what the body houses (mind and soul). Or they feel it's something they have control over. Or it's a distraction to avoid thinking about deeper subjects. I do think certain hardcore gym rats have a form of OCD.
Here is your answer, OP. Hope that helps.

Old 09-15-2022, 12:12 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Wait.... why do you have posts about dating girls and sex (hetero type), and a post where you say "as a lady" (about TikToks)?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-15-2022, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Wait.... why do you have posts about dating girls and sex (hetero type), and a post where you say "as a lady" (about TikToks)?
OP is a person of many realities.

Old 09-15-2022, 04:33 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAmericaGo View Post
Just thought this would be an interesting discussion. It’s a topic I don’t see discussed much and I know it can offend many of those who are passionate of their “fitness”.

When you think about it, how much strength and endurance does the average person need to be considered healthy?

What about when people start revolving a large part of their life around honing in that “better” physique? To the point of making massive changes to their diets, being on a very regimented gym routine, taking supplements, sometimes steroids, worrying about protein, getting the perfect body fat percentage, tracking every bite of food, watching videos/reading about how to workout better etc.

Is there some sort of body dysmorphia or narcissism that is the basis for much of the fitness world we see today?
It's certainly not for me. I am a single older female that lives alone. I do a lot of yard work and house maintenance, and keeping my body strong makes all my work much easier for me to do. I can pick up an 80 lb bag of concrete out of my car if I have to (just did that a few weeks ago) and at least get it into a wheelbarrow. Now, 60 pound bags I can carry across the yard. I just replaced a section of fence and dug up the posts and put in new ones. I have dug up the roots of fallen trees, and replace old shrubs...all of that requires strength. Also I have a pretty low resting heart rate due to the years of cardio, and from what my dr tells me, I have a longer lifespan because of it.

Why would you in any way, want to discourage, or put down, people that want to keep their bodies strong??

Old 09-15-2022, 04:51 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,058,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
for sure. you can do meth but if you do it excessively, it may turn unhealthy

Oh-eve, I say you can joke about anything! Except meth. Not even one time.

google for 'faces of meth before and after' its so sad and pathetic and abhorrent.

Old 09-15-2022, 05:57 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
I saw this video from a fitness trainer and PhD student on instagram today, which is along the lines of the thread topic: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CiimIz3AK4K/

Old 09-16-2022, 09:24 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,153,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
OP is a person of many realities.
Current reality is "not a member". LOL

Old 09-16-2022, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Current reality is "not a member". LOL
I'm pretty sure they will be back and very easy to spot with that distinctive "style" of debate.

Old 09-16-2022, 10:25 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I did a "free trial week" at a couple of gyms and was struck by how it could be almost an adult day care for retirees. You can shower and change and be there first thing in the morning, just like a job, then work hard all day in classes and on machines, socialize with others, and leave tired but satisfied at the end of the day.

All you wouldn't be getting is a paycheck, but if you have Silver Sneakers, at least your membership is free!
Really? You saw people hanging out there all day? How would you know if they were there all or most of the day, if you weren't there all day yourself? And if people really are there most of the day, wouldn't they need a lunch break? What do they do, bring a sack lunch? Pack a tuna sandwich and an apple? Odd scenario overall. Most retirees, btw, relish being able to sleep in on weekdays, and getting a slow and easy start to the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology