Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2022, 02:56 PM

20,756 posts, read 19,951,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
I think ANY behavior or activity taken to excess, where it comprises 12 of your 16 waking hours, can be considered pathological.

I might "like" to play video games, but if I start gaming at midnight and the sun comes up and I'm still playing, thats bad.

for sure. you can do meth but if you do it excessively, it may turn unhealthy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2022, 02:58 PM

1,112 posts, read 606,309 times
@SUPbud: lol love your post

I watched the beginning of Bigorexia... I will have to finish it. Those people are nutty. The most extreme of extremes where it doesn't even look good (the guy with biceps the size of watermelons). THAT is the definition of unhealthy extremes.

Old 09-14-2022, 03:15 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAmericaGo View Post
My “argument” (topic for discussion) has never changed.
What is your argument specifically? That some people who go to the gym have body dysmorphia? Not a very bold statement there.

On the other hand, if you believe that most people who go to the gym have body dysmorphia...well that's just goofy and not worthy of debate.

Old 09-14-2022, 03:28 PM

1,655 posts, read 774,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
What is your argument specifically? That some people who go to the gym have body dysmorphia? Not a very bold statement there.

On the other hand, if you believe that most people who go to the gym have body dysmorphia...well that's just goofy and not worthy of debate.
I think pretty much every topic I open for discussion goes 10+ pages and includes you needing clarification on what I’m talking about…you know you can’t stay away from me…I got that good stuff.

Old 09-14-2022, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
@SUPbud: lol love your post

I watched the beginning of Bigorexia... I will have to finish it. Those people are nutty. The most extreme of extremes where it doesn't even look good (the guy with biceps the size of watermelons). THAT is the definition of unhealthy extremes.
I’m not sure if you need balloon biceps to show traits of bigorexia — you could be just normal and still have it if something about your body isn’t good enough and you feel it requires extensive training through some regimented routines to be acceptable.

Old 09-14-2022, 04:10 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I agree to this statement. I get body/joint pains if I don't work out regularly. It hurts getting out of bed. Walking stairs gets me out of breath. I get back pain and would need surgery if I don't work out my back well enough.

Some people meditate or go to church - I unwind at the gym, I am in my mental zone and do my thing, I sometimes don't even notice people around me. Additionally I do MMA - it works out the areas that are untouched by just lifting weights. I am taking a break right now and feel the difference, I don't feel as fit/energetic and need to go back soon. I like looking strong even though I am not very strong.

Working out regularly and eating right is a lifestyle or if you say - like brushing teeth. It is just part of you and your routine.
Same. I get migraines and working out really helps. When the weather is nice, I like to take a lunchtime walk just for a brain refresh. Before I fell off my bike and broke my arm, that was a similar experience, although I’m finally getting back on the bike. Taking a break has been difficult though as I have noticed a lot more soreness.

My dad does nothing at all that really helps his core and he has lost his balance and doesn’t do that well walking. I do not want to be like that at 75. My grandfather was able to walk 5 miles a day at 75 and only slowed down at around 80 after having to do chemo/radiation.

Old 09-14-2022, 04:15 PM

48,517 posts, read 34,807,002 times
My working out is probably 1/3 vanity, 1/3 health, and 1/3 mental health.

If I'm stressed or angry, working out brings me back to center.

If I don't work out my psoriatic arthritis gets bad, I have more trouble managing BP/BG.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-14-2022, 04:48 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
I think you have a point…look at tanning too. People go to tanning beds, use fake tans or women put on make up to give their skin a darker shade…this used to be a thing for the people who had to work outside all day. It’s like we want the look of people that did very labor intensive work despite not having to do it.

I imagine there was a time when people were so caught up in doing the actual work that they didn’t really have the time or energy to sit around looking in a mirror admiring or striving to get the look.
No, it's not the same.

We know today that without sufficient (necessary!) physical exercise--including weight training--people may be condemning themselves to short and demeaning old ages. That's not body dysmorphia, that's good stewardship of one's own body. Some people don't want to be invalids in the last five years of their lives.

That is totally different from getting unnecessary tans or plastic surgery.

Old 09-14-2022, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
No, it's not the same.

We know today that without sufficient (necessary!) physical exercise--including weight training--people may be condemning themselves to short and demeaning old ages. That's not body dysmorphia, that's good stewardship of one's own body.

That is totally different from getting unnecessary tans or plastic surgery.
Do you have research that shows weight training specifically throughout one’s life leads to a longer lifespan? Does this research give any indication about how much to lift?

How much weight training are those little old ladies in Japan doing to live to 100+?

And that’s not to say their aren’t benefits to weight training by maintaining bones and joints and whatnot — but casual weight lifting to maintain one’s health isn’t going to drastically change appearance. When weight training is done as part of some systematic plan along with diet changes, supplementation to change one’s appearance — that when I feel a gray area is being approached.

Last edited by GoAmericaGo; 09-14-2022 at 05:10 PM..

Old 09-14-2022, 05:31 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Do you have research that shows weight training specifically throughout one’s life leads to a longer lifespan? Does this research give any indication about how much to lift?

How much weight training are those little old ladies in Japan doing to live to 100+?
Quote:
Falls are the leading cause of injury-related death among adults age 65 and older, and the age-adjusted fall death rate is increasing.1,2 The age-adjusted fall death rate is 64 deaths per 100,000 older adults.1
https://www.cdc.gov/falls/data/fall-deaths.html

Quote:
And that’s not to say their aren’t benefits to weight training by maintaining bones and joints and whatnot — but casual weight lifting to maintain one’s health isn’t going to drastically change appearance. When weight training is done as part of some systematic plan along with diet changes, supplementation to change one’s appearance — that when I feel a gray area is being approached.
Fighting sarcopenia actually requires the same regimen--a systematic plan of serious weight training and significant diet changes (compared to the "standard American diet")--as natural body building...because the person is actually doing the same thing. And an older person fighting sarcopenia will look different from a person who has given in to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology