Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2022, 09:09 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times

Advertisements

Nothing I've seen or heard about, so I'm not sure what it is about. I am more for that then people bringing their "emotional" support animals into grocery stores.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2022, 09:16 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,289,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
This treating grown people like children and infants has really destroyed them.
You are right, they should get rid of all the sports too. Having grown men walking around like children and infants wearing parts of sports uniforms so they can pretend to be on a team. And when the team they bought the t-shirts for loses they throw a tantrum. Yeah, I'm really concerned about someone not bothering anyone else with a stuffed animal.

Old 09-23-2022, 10:04 AM

16,077 posts, read 21,159,132 times
I'm going with "fad". College classes just started back up, we are selling the heck out of ping pong balls, red solo cups, and... squishmallows. Squishmallows seem to be even more popular with the older girls than with the kiddies.There is also a collecting component to it too, rather like the adult men who come in to buy hotwheels, pokemon cards, or licensed action figures.

Old 09-23-2022, 10:49 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
Who are you to say someone can't be that emotionally fragile. A stuffed animal is just plain silly to you, but it's OK to drink alcohol on your lunch hour due to stress because it is socially acceptable to do. Your message that people need to toughen up because they are emotional basket cases is more than callus and lacks empathy for others. Reminds me of the comments about people who have Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
Thanks for this. I think what's chiefly being missed here is that when you see a student using a retreat room or a young adult holding a stuffed animal, they are actually practicing self-care and making a proactive effort to treat their problem rather than crumbling under the weight of their depression, anxiety, etc.

Maybe some of you feel that young people shouldn't have these illnesses in the first place? They should be supported for their self-awareness, not mocked.

By the way, the only reference to an actual college "crying room" I found was at the University of Utah 5 years ago, and it was actually an art project by a student.

Old 09-23-2022, 12:11 PM

8,080 posts, read 7,448,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmmadude View Post
A simple Google search would provide you with links from multiple resources, including the WSJ. Since there is a paywall for that one, here is a link to another source: https://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box...trump-victory/

Feel free to search more on your own.
My son was a college freshman during the 2016 election. He said a lot of girls were "really scared", and I kind of laughed, expecting him to laugh with me. Then he said "No, they're really scared!" This was at a private, middle-class college in the Northeast. It's unclear what these girls were really scared about.

I don't doubt that many young women cried, caught up in the group dynamics and drama of the moment. Most of the kids my son ended up hanging out with turned out to be normal. Maybe it was just a phase for some of them.

Old 09-23-2022, 12:14 PM

4,210 posts, read 4,460,552 times
Great tool for drug trafficking. Are you sure they aren't 'acting', or being used? Perhaps the stuffed animal delivery tool as in the classic 1967 movie, Wait Until Dark?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062467/

Old 09-23-2022, 12:16 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Thanks for this. I think what's chiefly being missed here is that when you see a student using a retreat room or a young adult holding a stuffed animal, they are actually practicing self-care and making a proactive effort to treat their problem rather than crumbling under the weight of their depression, anxiety, etc.
Exactly, I know that where I work, there have been incidents of suicides by students who feel so overwhelmed by the pressure to succeed. If bringing in therapy pets or carrying a stuffed animal helps them to relax and guides them to other self-care resources, that's good. "Suck it up, buttercup" isn't helpful.

Old 09-23-2022, 12:24 PM

44,360 posts, read 20,070,158 times
This thread has been cleaned up. If anyone reintroduces politics to the discussion, the thread will be shut down.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 09-23-2022, 12:33 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,443,102 times
I also wonder if there's some kind of treatment center nearby that encourages it? Really hard to say...the only reason I bring it up is that that seems to be both a concentrated and isolated sighting of such.

Old 09-23-2022, 12:34 PM

2,234 posts, read 2,406,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
Who are you to say someone can't be that emotionally fragile. A stuffed animal is just plain silly to you, but it's OK to drink alcohol on your lunch hour due to stress because it is socially acceptable to do. Your message that people need to toughen up because they are emotional basket cases is more than callus and lacks empathy for others. Reminds me of the comments about people who have Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
Well, I certainly touched a nerve. There are plenty of other ways to deal with your mental health struggles...talking to a therapist, exercising, meditating, etc. Walking around with a stuffed animal when you're an adult is just plain ridiculous. I'm not going to apologize for saying that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology