Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2022, 12:50 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,158,420 times

Advertisements

This explains the pyschology kind of. https://www.toynk.com/blogs/news/adu...ir%20childhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2022, 12:57 PM

11,081 posts, read 6,893,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Thanks for this. I think what's chiefly being missed here is that when you see a student using a retreat room or a young adult holding a stuffed animal, they are actually practicing self-care and making a proactive effort to treat their problem rather than crumbling under the weight of their depression, anxiety, etc.

Maybe some of you feel that young people shouldn't have these illnesses in the first place? They should be supported for their self-awareness, not mocked.

By the way, the only reference to an actual college "crying room" I found was at the University of Utah 5 years ago, and it was actually an art project by a student.
This makes a lot of sense to me.

I think my reaction was, of course, personal to my history and my experiences. Being raised by parents who heard "children should be seen and not heard," "keep a stiff upper lip," "spare the rod and spoil the child" I heard "you're entitled to speak your opinion but ou're still wrong." Yes, even my father who was a trained therapist (1950's, not surprising). These were all things I heard growing up as a Boomer. I'm sure many Boomers here can relate... .maybe even some Gen X'ers.

Our cultural is slowly advancing, little by little. I appreciate those who have come here to share a different perspective.

It seems there are two things going on:

1) role play; and

2) self-care.

Old 09-23-2022, 01:04 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,158,420 times
Here's a link with a bit more scholarly approach...

https://www.betterhelp.com/advice/ge...-as-you-think/

Old 09-23-2022, 01:11 PM

11,081 posts, read 6,893,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Here's a link with a bit more scholarly approach...

https://www.betterhelp.com/advice/ge...-as-you-think/
I love that! I admittedly am a plushophile, or I was. Hello Kitty, Count from Sesame Street, elephants (my favorite animal), and giraffes and monkeys that rea all legs and arms. However, I no longer have them having gotten rid of 95% of my possessions 6 years ago. Never thought about taking them out in public, but enjoyed having them on the bed or on a shelf.

Old 09-23-2022, 01:21 PM

20,397 posts, read 14,673,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I love that! I admittedly am a plushophile, or I was. Hello Kitty, Count from Sesame Street, elephants (my favorite animal), and giraffes and monkeys that rea all legs and arms. However, I no longer have them having gotten rid of 95% of my possessions 6 years ago. Never thought about taking them out in public, but enjoyed having them on the bed or on a shelf.
Yeah, I can imagine collecting them. But I don't know that I'd ever call myself a plushophile even if I did. I collect lots of stuff. I can imagine having a day bed with a heap of super soft and aesthetically pleasing stuffed animals and throw pillows and whatnot to just nap in like a big fluffy nest. The idea sounds lovely, the reality probably wouldn't be as comfortable as I imagine. I do own a couple of plush octopuses that are part of my living room decor. But I can't really see carrying one around.

Actually the thought of taking one into a store makes me think, "what if somebody thought I had stolen it?"

That was a great link/article, though. Covered a number of possibilities.

Old 09-23-2022, 02:32 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times
Now that I think back on it, I am sure I brought a few of my stuffed animals to college as a freshman. Living away from home for the first time, whether it's 1920 or 2020, can be a lonely and scary experience. I found a lot of comfort snuggling my friends from home 1,000 miles away. I have some of my deceased daughters' stuffed animals that she kept into adulthood and I can't describe the feeling of hugging them when I miss her.

Old 09-23-2022, 03:35 PM

20,397 posts, read 14,673,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Now that I think back on it, I am sure I brought a few of my stuffed animals to college as a freshman. Living away from home for the first time, whether it's 1920 or 2020, can be a lonely and scary experience. I found a lot of comfort snuggling my friends from home 1,000 miles away. I have some of my deceased daughters' stuffed animals that she kept into adulthood and I can't describe the feeling of hugging them when I miss her.
Wow...this... You have done a remarkable thing, zentropa, you've rendered me speechless.

Big feels. No words.

Well. Other than...I take you to be a pretty private person. It means something that you shared something like this. I was taking guesses on other points of context in OP's observations, but you know what...you're right. Compassion is called for. We don't know and shouldn't presume other people's stories.

Old 09-23-2022, 06:48 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
Well, I certainly touched a nerve. There are plenty of other ways to deal with your mental health struggles...talking to a therapist, exercising, meditating, etc. Walking around with a stuffed animal when you're an adult is just plain ridiculous. I'm not going to apologize for saying that.

If it helps someone, then why put them down? Like I said, I see people with emotional support animals all the time. Much better to have a fake animal you don't shove in the shopping cart.

Wouldn't it BE wonderful if all someone needed for better mental health was a stuffed animal to carry around?

Now granted, this is not something I have ever seen, so I am guessing the sightings in "the wild" is quite rare, it may be a fashion trend, a sexual "message" of sorts... heck I do not know. What I do know?

Live and let live. That activity harms no one, and doesn't require you, or anyone else to understand it. Try leading with compassion and a desire to understand.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-23-2022, 07:26 PM

2,234 posts, read 2,406,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
If it helps someone, then why put them down? Like I said, I see people with emotional support animals all the time. Much better to have a fake animal you don't shove in the shopping cart.

Wouldn't it BE wonderful if all someone needed for better mental health was a stuffed animal to carry around?

Now granted, this is not something I have ever seen, so I am guessing the sightings in "the wild" is quite rare, it may be a fashion trend, a sexual "message" of sorts... heck I do not know. What I do know?

Live and let live. That activity harms no one, and doesn't require you, or anyone else to understand it. Try leading with compassion and a desire to understand.
I don't mean to sound cold-hearted, but I just don't get it... How is a stuffed animal going to help you feel better? They're for children. I know stuffed animals can comfort children when they're in uncomfortable situations, but I'm not sure about adults.

I don't doubt the emotional support animals though... Those are living things and they can make you feel better... An inanimate object though? I don't think as much.

Old 09-23-2022, 07:37 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
I don't mean to sound cold-hearted, but I just don't get it... How is a stuffed animal going to help you feel better? They're for children. I know stuffed animals can comfort children when they're in uncomfortable situations, but I'm not sure about adults.

I don't doubt the emotional support animals though... Those are living things and they can make you feel better... An inanimate object though? I don't think as much.
But if they do get the same degree of comfort? Isn't that better than getting a living, breathing animal that needs all kinds of money and time?

Don't get me wrong. I could not get the same from a stuffed animal as I do from my dog. But what if they can? Isn't that awesome?

Why do *I* have to understand something, for it to have value to another?

So you know how many people change their minds about pets and give them up to animal shelters? How horrible is that?! You needed something from another living being, and then when you didn't, you abandoned them? What if all those people transferred that need to a stuffed animal and it worked?

Cold hearted or not, I don't "get" a lot of things. But I understand others "get" it, and really, that's good enough for me. I don't have to relate to everything, to accept that others may find value in something, that I do not.

Why would I let my personal emotions, invalidate someone else's?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology