Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2022, 11:50 AM

11,081 posts, read 6,893,394 times

Advertisements

In the past month I have noticed at least 3 young adult women carrying a stuffed animal in the grocery store checkout. I've also seen them while shopping in various parts of the store. These are young women who appear to be in their early 20's. They looked very "emo" for lack of a better term. They seemed normal, if a bit subdued, but looked as though they were a bit fragile.

Now look, I understand if some or all of these young women are having serious mental health issues. It just seems a bit odd. But if it works for them, OK.

I'd never heard of college cry rooms until I saw another C-D thread in the past week. I actually think these can be quite beneficial, and perhaps they should have been instituted much sooner.

I used to work for the City of Los Angeles in the City Hall building back in the early 70's. There was a big, low lighted room with beds where employees could go lie down and rest or sleep on their break or lunch hour. This was a very humane thing to provide. Our society could use a lot more of that.

As for stuffed animals I used to have a few in my bedroom, especially after my children were born and even after they became adults. Things that were my favorites. I'm just curious about carrying them in public and whether this is actually a thing nowadays or whether it was just coincidence that I saw 3 different young adult women in the past 4 weeks carrying a stuffed animal. Holding it to very close to their chest.

Perhaps stuffed animals and cry rooms arent such a bad idea with things being so stressful and uncertain these days. My opinion though is that these things shouldn't become too much of a crutch or a replacement for getting professional help if necessary.

Last edited by pathrunner; 09-22-2022 at 01:04 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2022, 12:09 PM

2,234 posts, read 2,406,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
In the past month I have noticed at least 3 young adult women carrying a stuffed animal in the grocery store checkout. I've also seen them while shopping in various parts of the store. These are young women who appear to be in their early 20's. They looked very "emo" for lack of a better term. They seemed normal, if a bit subdued, but looked as though they were a bit fragile.

Now look, I understand if some or all of these young women are having serious mental health issues. It just seems a bit odd. But if it works for them, OK.

I'd never heard of college cry rooms until I saw another C-D thread in the past week. I actually think these can be quite beneficial, and perhaps they should have been instituted much sooner.

I used to work for the City of Los Angeles in the City Hall building back in the early 70's. There was a big, low lighted room with beds where employees could go lie down and rest or sleep on their break or lunch hour. This was a very humane thing to provide. Our society could use a lot more of that.

As for stuffed animals I used to have a few in my bedroom, especially after my children were born and even after they became adults. Things that were my favorites. I'm just curious about carrying them in public and whether this is actually a thing nowadays or whether it was just coincidence that I saw 3 different young adult women in the past 4 weeks carrying a stuffed animal. Holding it to very close to their chest.

Perhaps stuffed aniamsl and cry rooms arent such a bad idea with things being so stressful and uncertain these days. My opinion though is that these things shouldn't become too much of a crutch or a replacement for getting professional help if necessary.
Many people seem to be emotional basket cases these days.. That might sound harsh, but it is what it is. I know that people can struggle with their mental health and it's good to talk about your feelings with others. However, some of this is too much. You can't be that emotionally fragile... Carrying around a stuffed animal when you're a full grown adult is just plain silly.

Old 09-22-2022, 12:17 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Well, IDK. Better a stuffed animal than an emotional support llama or crocodile. Stuffed animals are much easier to fit into airplane seats, and you don't have to scoop up after them.

But I think trauma therapy needs to be more widely available. A lot of people don't know there are very effective techniques now to resolve trauma. And some people can't afford to pay for it, or don't have insurance that covers those particular therapists.

If we were to be a truly humane society, good, effective therapy would be more widely available. And kids stuck in bad situations would get compassionate outreach and treatment or appropriate intervention. Easier said than done; there are tricky issues involved.

But still... we're not trying very hard. And there's a very loud contingent now, that' against spending more tax money on people in need. We're moving away from humanitarian values.

Old 09-22-2022, 12:57 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,865,187 times
It is also possible that carrying a fad-of-the-moment stuffed animal or toy in public (like flaunting a purse dog) was a rather awkward way to make themselves feel better by showing off, attracting attention and to make the have-nots jealous.

Old 09-22-2022, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
It is also possible that carrying a fad-of-the-moment stuffed animal or toy in public (like flaunting a purse dog) was a rather awkward way to make themselves feel better by showing off, attracting attention and to make the have-nots jealous.
I think the fad idea may be true for some of them. The ones I saw were very shut down and seemed in their own world, letting the person they were with handle everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, IDK. Better a stuffed animal than an emotional support llama or crocodile. Stuffed animals are much easier to fit into airplane seats, and you don't have to scoop up after them.

But I think trauma therapy needs to be more widely available. A lot of people don't know there are very effective techniques now to resolve trauma. And some people can't afford to pay for it, or don't have insurance that covers those particular therapists.

If we were to be a truly humane society, good, effective therapy would be more widely available. And kids stuck in bad situations would get compassionate outreach and treatment or appropriate intervention. Easier said than done; there are tricky issues involved.

But still... we're not trying very hard. And there's a very loud contingent now, that' against spending more tax money on people in need. We're moving away from humanitarian values.
Amen to all that. My dad tried to help people when they couldn't pay but he could only lower his fee or let them slide so much then it became impossible.

Old 09-22-2022, 02:35 PM

12,045 posts, read 8,429,550 times
I know my first thought wasn't generous. I thought, "What message is she sending? Could it be, 'Be extra nice to me because I'm fragile, (whatever)'"

Then again isn't it okay to let people know when you need a little tenderness?

Is it okay to expect that need to be met by strangers?

I don't quite know what to say. Oh, grow up and take your hard knocks like everybody else?

I think I've seen so much really awful human pain by my age that it's hard to be sympathetic with someone who has only accumulated a couple of decades worth.

I have a tender heart and it's a heavy-lifter. Just don't want it to be borrowed for any small-time stuff.

Still have my first present from my dad given to me on the day I was born. It's a stuffed kitty. A very dirty and now ugly stuffed kitty. Sometimes I pick it up and hug it.

It helps. Almost feels like Dad is there hugging me.

But, dang, you are never, ever going to see me do that. It's between me and the cat.

Old 09-22-2022, 02:41 PM

I admit that I did tread lightly when writing my original post on this thread. I do admit that when I saw the third young woman doing this, I thought to myself "how emo can one get?" I also thought, "is this how Gen Z young people deal with stress?" Like a young child with their teddy bear or doll?

Now Trauma, I can see. And we don't know what they have dealt with and/or are still dealing with. Stress... I don't know. I guess.

Maybe it's a good thing, maybe a dysfunctional thing. I suppose like so many things it comes down to individual circumstances.

Old 09-22-2022, 03:58 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,981,005 times
I heard about cry rooms at colleges in LA after Mod cut. Ridiculous.

Our society support, breeds and encourages sissy behavior. People nowadays don't have a backbone. They are afraid to say NO, too scared to speak their mind, aren't sure or cannot make a decision and dont have to make a decision if they are male or female, everyone is on some sort of anxiety/depression pills because people cannot deal with every day life anymore. I am sure that people in actual poor countries who don't know if they have food tomorrow or next week to feed their children are not understanding how a society like ours has so many whiners.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-23-2022 at 11:55 AM.. Reason: NO POLITICS!

Old 09-22-2022, 04:38 PM

6,460 posts, read 3,983,103 times
Are you sure it wasn't something they were doing to be "cute" and is in fashion? Isn't carrying around dolls and stuffed animals a Japanese "lolita" style thing?

Old 09-22-2022, 05:20 PM

20,397 posts, read 14,673,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Are you sure it wasn't something they were doing to be "cute" and is in fashion? Isn't carrying around dolls and stuffed animals a Japanese "lolita" style thing?
Closest shot to the mark yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I think the fad idea may be true for some of them. The ones I saw were very shut down and seemed in their own world, letting the person they were with handle everything.

Amen to all that. My dad tried to help people when they couldn't pay but he could only lower his fee or let them slide so much then it became impossible.
The bold almost confirms what I suspect is the case. Let's just say that certain things have become more popular and/or accepted in recent years, though as I often say...will never be mainstream, and that is fine.

The women you saw, I suspect were littles. It is age based relationship roleplay. If you see this again, look and see if you can spot a collar or any kind of a necklace with a small padlock on it, around their neck.

Not my thing for sure, and one of the harder ones for me to understand, but common enough in the alt-fringe-communities I've been part of. It's weird, but harmless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology