Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2022, 01:55 PM

20,396 posts, read 14,673,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Just gonna throw this out there: telling someone they should be "smart enough" to see through conditioning or abuse is damaging. She's gotten these messages somewhere and they are affecting her. End of story.
She's gotten them from redpill and manosphere websites, she has told us as much.

And despite everyone abundantly telling her how toxic those places are and why, she keeps coming back posting the same thread starters again and again. Three times now. Despite many pages of interaction on the previous ones.

My frustration is that she is repeating and signal boosting their ideology, first framing it as a question and then making statements as though they are fact.

My statement about her being smart enough to see through this stuff is because she is an educated person, seriously, she needs to understand that things are not necessarily true because some bozos on the internet say so. Embracing, absorbing, and repeating seriously unhealthy stuff won't do anything good for her own wellbeing or success.

Old 11-21-2022, 05:07 PM

12,043 posts, read 8,429,550 times
Well, just let me sing the praises of women for a minute here, would you? Please don't tell me I'm stereotyping because I'm talking in generalities which have been observed for a lifetime. And I'm not just talking about our species. I have seen the same in females of other species as well.

We are the glue that holds it all together. We are sustenance and comfort. And we are shelter from the storm.

I'm not going to explain. Those of you who know this don't have to be convinced. But I'll tell you a story about my cats. It is the females who check the food dishes when they come in and tell me if they need to be filled.

I will make a regretful observation that for most of my life those of us who manage to rise to the top have adopted a male style in order to get there. Then we are seen as harridans.

This in no way suggests that men don't show these qualities also it just doesn't strike me that it's as innate for them and they often express them in way different than we do.

Old 11-22-2022, 08:19 AM

249 posts, read 504,893 times
I am adopted and have NEVER thought of my mother as "less than" because she couldn't have kids. This seems like an odd question and one rooted in depression. I hope you're doing okay!

Old 11-22-2022, 10:21 AM

11,080 posts, read 6,893,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easilyjaded View Post
I honestly don’t have motherly instincts but I’m told that my only value to a long term relationship is providing children. I’d like to have a long term relationship again. But with this problem combined with me being old (34), it’s looking more and more likely that I’ll spend the rest of my life alone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Where do you live, that 34 is considered "old", and the common belief is that women are only valuable as baby factories? Serious question. Do you live in the Mid-West or South? Or Eastern Europe or the Near East?

You do realize, don't you, that you can choose to ignore all that nonsense....?
Please DO NOT have children if you don't have motherly instincts. That is very unfair to the child or children. Children cost a lot of money and are a ton of work.

You need to focus on the qualities you have that are desirable and capitalize on those. It doesn't sound like motherhood is a good idea in your case, though. There's a lot going on here, and starting multiple threads which are about basically the same issues is not going to solve your problem.

As I mentioned on another of your threads, I was born with a condition that causes me great stress and anguish. I did not pass it on to my children.

If your recent ex told you these things, stop listening to someone that is no longer a part of your life. Examine why the person broke up with you, why the relationship ended and work on those issues if necessary.

Old 11-22-2022, 12:06 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,331,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Well, just let me sing the praises of women for a minute here, would you? Please don't tell me I'm stereotyping because I'm talking in generalities which have been observed for a lifetime. And I'm not just talking about our species. I have seen the same in females of other species as well.

We are the glue that holds it all together. We are sustenance and comfort. And we are shelter from the storm.

I'm not going to explain. Those of you who know this don't have to be convinced. But I'll tell you a story about my cats. It is the females who check the food dishes when they come in and tell me if they need to be filled.

I will make a regretful observation that for most of my life those of us who manage to rise to the top have adopted a male style in order to get there. Then we are seen as harridans.

This in no way suggests that men don't show these qualities also it just doesn't strike me that it's as innate for them and they often express them in way different than we do.
Love this.

This is something I found helpful OP if you think you might be internalizing these sentiments. If you're on any of those pills subreddits I am sure you know they need someone to blame and for them, it's women.

https://www.wikihow.com/Stop-Being-a...rget/Scapegoat

Old 11-22-2022, 12:20 PM

25,449 posts, read 9,813,207 times
Quote:
I just feel like I’m worthless to a man. I’ve been told I’m not suited for long term relationships because there’s no “return” for a man’s investment in me.

I’m just going to give up. Life isn’t worth living when you’re a woman in my position.
I don't know who you've been listening to who has told you this, but you need to find a new friend.

Old 11-22-2022, 12:33 PM

88,591 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I never had a genetic condition but was always clear on the first date already that I do not want children. I had no issue dating.

Just be upfront.

I am sure many men are happy about your condition - they don't have to worry that you get "accidentally" pregnant and they are stuck with paying $$$$$$.
My daughter either. She had tubal ligation at 26. She never wanted children. She makes it clear from the beginning that she isn't having any. She is dating a guy right now who has a kid from a previous marriage, but it's still fairly new. We'll see. Right now she is more into her job than anything else.

Old 11-22-2022, 04:03 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,650,876 times
My experience has been 180 degrees from the OP's. My "value to a man" was that I did not have or want children. That has always been a plus in my relationships. I've had a lifetime of experiences I wouldn't have been able to have if saddled down with children. So I can bring all that to a relationship.

There's not a maternal bone in my body and I'm grateful for that. As are my past/present partners.

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-29-2022 at 05:30 PM.. Reason: Off-topic.

Old 11-22-2022, 04:37 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,584,588 times
I was married for 17 years, and I've never had children. ~ Definitely never wanted children in my entire life.....not during any period of my life.

I definitely feel as if I have a lot of worth.....without ever having given birth back in the fertility days.

And I definitely have worth without a man.....with or without a man I have a good amount of worth.

And I have inherent worth without a child.

Like Sand&Salt at post #[59], not a maternal bone in my body either.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-29-2022 at 05:31 PM..

Old 11-22-2022, 05:48 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times
Quote:
Does a woman who cannot have kids provide any other value to a man in a relationship?

I’m a woman in my early 30s with a genetic condition I don’t want to pass on (50% chance). Why would any sane man want to be with me if I can’t bear him children?
If you are 30 and need to have that answered by anonymous posters on website, I feel sorry for you
Parents should make children of both/any sex feel valued and capable of achieving pretty much anything they want within reason
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology