Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2024, 01:23 PM
bu2

24,118 posts, read 14,913,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
I think we see that kind of attitude around here often enough.
There are whole threads on it. "Why do people post all these good moments on Facebook?" Seriously, people get resentful and post threads on it. Its a reflection on those people, not the people posting on Facebook. Its envy, personal unhappiness. They seem to want to see other people's misery, even though we know people would avoid someone who was publicly miserable all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2024, 01:42 PM

5,656 posts, read 3,165,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
There are whole threads on it. "Why do people post all these good moments on Facebook?" Seriously, people get resentful and post threads on it. Its a reflection on those people, not the people posting on Facebook. Its envy, personal unhappiness. They seem to want to see other people's misery, even though we know people would avoid someone who was publicly miserable all the time.
You know how sometimes, when someone is literally drowning, and someone is trying to rescue them, and the drowning person ends up nearly drowning the rescuer? Sometimes I think it's kind of like that.

Old 01-26-2024, 04:06 PM

52,306 posts, read 52,756,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSaturn View Post
I can't think of anyone I know who is resentful when they see someone who is happy. When I see happy people, it makes me smile and lifts my spirits.

Yeah, me too.

The vids of the soldiers coming back home, the team winning the final goal and the mayhem that breaks out, watching a baby smile when you play with them.

All good stuff.

So much crap in this world, seeing people happy is what helps me hang on.

Old 01-26-2024, 09:59 PM

4,184 posts, read 5,069,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I think it comes down to a matter of "that's not fair". What did THEY do to deserve to be more happy than I am?
Bingo.

When someone is attaining happiness through unethical, or even illegal, means... then IMHO it's natural to feel resentment.

I remember experiencing that emotion after watching Wolf of Wall St.

Old 01-27-2024, 09:34 AM

867 posts, read 725,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
You know how sometimes, when someone is literally drowning, and someone is trying to rescue them, and the drowning person ends up nearly drowning the rescuer? Sometimes I think it's kind of like that.

This is a brilliant analogy!

Old 01-27-2024, 12:09 PM

18,037 posts, read 27,488,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelWing View Post
......especially when they see happy couples.

Is it really true 'misery loves company'?
How can some be happy when they see others resentful?

Old 01-27-2024, 12:16 PM

8,698 posts, read 3,886,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
When someone is attaining happiness through unethical, or even illegal, means... then IMHO it's natural to feel resentment.

I remember experiencing that emotion after watching Wolf of Wall St.
Happiness isn’t attained through illegal or unethical means i.e. it’s a positive emotion whereas you’re speaking to greed, anger, desperation, and so on.

Old 01-27-2024, 12:50 PM

30,655 posts, read 18,269,220 times
I've witnessed this too many times to count. Folks having something negative to say about others' success (screams of jealously and envy), which is a mess. In my experience, though, this usually comes from people having unpleasant encounters with such successful people, though a few cases have been just people bitter for not being able to attain what the successful people have attained.

Old 01-27-2024, 02:23 PM

13,795 posts, read 8,032,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Because they aren't happy, or the happy people have something they want, and have been unable to obtain.

I'm seeing it now in a person who always felt her life was superior to her siblings, then her sibling obtained what she had and surpassed her. So now that person is making snarky comments to them for no reason, and throwing around light insults.

They will have to work it out on their own, and figure out why the other's success makes them feel bad.

I read the autobiography by rock star Paul Stanley(Kiss.) He mentions how his father downplayed his success telling him it was luck. Stanley didn’t realize years later his father was sadly jealous.

The late David Cassidy, one-time a huge pop star wrote in his book something similar. His father the actor Jack Casidy putdown his TV and music as artificial and thus not being legitimate.

To a certain extent my brother "laughs" off the fact I am a self-made millionaire. Why? Because, I earned my money working in Japan and thus it doesn't really "count."

Old 01-27-2024, 03:13 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,364,841 times
Simple. They are probably very unhappy people and are upset that they cannot find happiness and everyone else can. Not hard to understand at all. I don’t feel that way but could see why someone would. I had a friend like that years ago. He would get so angry seeing a happy couple holding hands but that was after he joined the military and was stationed in England. He caught his wife cheating on him and they got divorced. He hated women after that. It hit him hard. Didn’t help that his father died during all if that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology