Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2024, 02:34 PM

256 posts, read 114,089 times

Advertisements

......especially when they see happy couples.

Is it really true 'misery loves company'?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2024, 02:51 PM

22,568 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Why do people feel resentful when they see others happy?
Envy? Knows something about the other person?
Is someone resenting your relationship?

I think people are happy for others, at least the ones I know!

Last edited by Pitt Chick; 01-24-2024 at 03:14 PM..

Old 01-24-2024, 03:19 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,049,980 times
I can't think of anyone I know who is resentful when they see someone who is happy. When I see happy people, it makes me smile and lifts my spirits.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 01-24-2024, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I think people are happy for others, at least the ones I know!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSaturn View Post
When I see happy people, it makes me smile and lifts my spirits.
That's good to hear!

However, believe it or not, there are envious people who seem unable to admire someone else's happiness.

Old 01-24-2024, 04:59 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,935,039 times
Well, considering there's an actual word for this, schadenfreude, meaning the pleasure people take from the misfortunes of others, well, it's a thing.

Old 01-24-2024, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Well, considering there's an actual word for this, schadenfreude, meaning the pleasure people take from the misfortunes of others, well, it's a thing.
I'm not familiar with the word, but I do know some envious people take joy in seeing others experience setbacks and failures (divorce, losing a job, being thrown in jail), rather than just focusing on the happiness someone else is feeling.

Being happy for someone seems difficult for envious people who sometimes may lack compassion and kindness...IMHO.

Old 01-24-2024, 05:57 PM

814 posts, read 442,048 times
Not me. If I see someone happy I want to hang out with them. Maybe they know something I don't.

Either way, I wouldn't want to pass on a happy day. Life is short, make it count!!!!

Old 01-24-2024, 06:42 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,935,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelWing View Post
I'm not familiar with the word, but I do know some envious people take joy in seeing others experience setbacks and failures (divorce, losing a job, being thrown in jail), rather than just focusing on the happiness someone else is feeling.

Being happy for someone seems difficult for envious people who sometimes may lack compassion and kindness...IMHO.
Exactly. And I agree, hanging out with happy people, or actively seeking to witness happiness while out in public is really a mood-brightener. But, it seems, not for everyone.

Old 01-24-2024, 08:06 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
That is a thing, yes, but the opposite of what the OP said.

Old 01-24-2024, 08:09 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelWing View Post
......especially when they see happy couples.

Is it really true 'misery loves company'?
No, it means they feel bad about something missing in their own lives that they see someone else has. It really has nothing to do with the happy people. It has to do with their own dissatisfaction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology