Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 02:21 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,382,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
In the West, we have a tradition of individualism, secularism and self-determination. Now, do you see why it's important to define what you mean by "tradition"? "Tradition" doesn't just mean you bow to your social superiors.

You equate religious attendance with spirituality?

I'm sorry, but it seems to me you are exoticizing the Japanese, and indeed, all those cultures that you believe haven't changed for hundreds of years. Japan changed drastically since the middle of the 19th century -- mostly because the Japanese were sick and tired of the cultural and political stagnation that the era of isolation had produced. Those "Eastern beliefs" that you seem to romanticize about, become progressively less cute as you study them more and more in-depth. But I think mostly, this idea that all Japanese women are little geishas and the men are living their samurai code is ludicrous -- and if nothing else, offensive to the Japanese. Speaking of the samurai, Bushido is mostly a 20th century invention, and has mislead countless Westerners about what the real samurai were like. See 6 Supposedly Ancient Traditions that Totally Aren't.
lol.

Tradition, as I see it, are values handed down from generation to generation. Our individualism is, in practice, only evident from the 1960s onwards. Philsophically it existed before then, but what use was that when slavery and such existed back then?

As for Japan, well I would not say it is exact to modern Western society. they still practice more of the Eastern beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 02:21 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,683,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
oh gosh Redisca, I'm disappointed.
We have to behave on this forum, SH.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:22 PM

4,483 posts, read 5,329,722 times
Quote:
We have to behave on this forum, SH.
I thought you'd know better... never mind.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:24 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,715,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
This applies to dating, even lifestyles.

Now, say a person values tradition, spirituality, and non-shallowness. Now, would they be happy in a Western country, which is generally non-traditional, non-spiritual and shallow? If they wanted an SO with these traits wouldn't a better bet for them be Japan, Korea or other East Asian country?

Do you think the society you live in suits your personality, or how you think and perceive the world? Would you move if you had the chance?

I think sometimes of leaving Western society to get a date, because I don't find white women attractive (and please, no flames, it's just a preference like any other and not meant offensively). but to me it's a double edged sword. I like our societies, since at least people are free for the most part to live as they choose, and we are by and large more tolerant and accepting. I don't like tradition or spirituality as ideals, tradition to me is odd.
Super. Leave them to me LMAO

Old 05-17-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Them Bible belters seem quite happy the way they are.
But when any of them speak publicly, what happens?

it doesn't rule out my initial point. it makes sense to me to live somewhere in which the common attitudes suit one's own. if anything, a Bible belter only lives there since s/he is surrounded by like-minded people.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Tradition, as I see it, are values handed down from generation to generation. Our individualism is, in practice, only evident from the 1960s onwards. Philsophically it existed before then, but what use was that when slavery and such existed back then?
That's not true at all. The tradition of individualism dates back to the Classical civilization, and achieved its second flowering in the Renaissance. And by individualism, I don't mean the actual physical ability to do whatever you want because you want to do it -- but the importance and prominence of the individual, as opposed to family or tribe. The Western tradition of individualism is expressed in innumerable ways -- in people's preoccupation with personal happiness, for example (which, again, also goes back to the ancient times), fulfillment and accomplishment. So it IS a a tradition, and an ancient one.

Quote:
As for Japan, well I would not say it is exact to modern Western society. they still practice more of the Eastern beliefs.
Such as?

Old 05-17-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
I thought you'd know better... never mind.
Oh, I do. I do.

Old 05-17-2010, 03:35 PM

3,261 posts, read 5,303,911 times
Quote:
In the West, we don't care much about tradition, we are less spiritual than other parts of the world, and we don't value depth as highly as other parts of the world do.

Take religion, religious attendance, and even belief is lower than most other parts of the world. As for tradition, our society today is drastically different from what it was 100, even 50 years ago. Most other parts of the world have cultures virtually the same for hundreds, even thousands of years. Take my example of Japan. Despite the younger generation living Western lifestyles, most there still value the traditional Eastern beliefs. I'd think Kawaii is something that is recent in Japanese history. I doubt the samurais did that.

The US is considered one of the most religious countries in the world.

Old 05-17-2010, 03:39 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,038,884 times
Quote:
I think the grass tends to be greener on the other side.

I think that the Japanese kawaii culture is the epitome of shallow. I don't care for traditions in which 30-year-old women squeal like adolescent girls and carry Mickey Mouse backpacks -- and I don't find such traditions particularly spiritual. Certain Westerners tend to see Southeast Asian cultures through a veneer of pop-spirituality, but it's just that -- a veneer. If you really learn about a culture, any culture, you will see that it has both good and bad aspects, and different social circles as well.
Yes, but if you go into the countryside of Japan, you will find the type of girl that the OP is looking for. It's the same with Mexico, China, India, or other countries, you need to go into the countryside.

Old 05-17-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post
The US is considered one of the most religious countries in the world.
This the exception to the rule amongst Western countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology