Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 10:02 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,583,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senary View Post
If this is the way it should be, taxes for maintenance of existing roads should be lowered and all interstates/freeways should be made toll roads.
I could not agree more with that statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 06:19 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,712,159 times
Both Virginia and North Carolina are talking about tolling I-95 in order to pay for upgrades. Most of I-95 between Petersburg and the South Carolina line hasn't been upgraded since it was built in the 50's and early 60's. The project cost would be circa $5 billion, and tolls are likely source of money.

The General Assembly must authorize putting tolls on existing roads. They did so, with respect to the already-built NC 540 between NC 54 and NC 55. If it's a federally funded highway, like all the Interstate highways are, the feds must also approve.

NCTA has other toll projects in mind for North Carolina. The Cape Fear Skyway over the Cape Fear River south of Wilmington would be another $1+ billion project.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:36 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,133 times
Some of the paths are really peculiar.
I would think that the goal would be to keep the road pretty equidistant from the other routes already in place (55 Bypass, 401, 42) to to distribute traffic flow most evenly. The southern routes don't do as good a job of that.
IMO the best route would be the one that travels east towards the proposed Bells Lake Road intersection and puts the intersection with 401 roughly halfway between the intersections of 55/42/401 in Fuquay and the intersection of 401/70/40 in Garner/Raleigh. Beyond that I could see looking at different options, but tearing up Holly Springs to run the route so close to the 55 Bypass doesn't make sense to me.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:42 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
I would think that the goal would be to keep the road pretty equidistant from the other routes already in place (55 Bypass, 401, 42) to to distribute traffic flow most evenly. The southern routes don't do as good a job of that.
IMO the best route would be the one that travels east towards the proposed Bells Lake Road intersection and puts the intersection with 401 roughly halfway between the intersections of 55/42/401 in Fuquay and the intersection of 401/70/40 in Garner/Raleigh. Beyond that I could see looking at different options, but tearing up Holly Springs to run the route so close to the 55 Bypass doesn't make sense to me.
It is SO time consuming to trace routes and look for land acquisition and apparent land acquisition options, but I think that route has significant corridor land parcels already acquired, or subdivided for acquisition, or under option. Might be an indicator that DOT agrees with you.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:48 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,600,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
The northern most route (skirts to the south of Lake Wheeler and then to the north of Lake Benson) will be thrown out right away as I'm imagining it cuts though the Lake Benson watershed.

The southwestern most route (cuts to the west of Sunset Lake) also seems like it is a poor choice for a few reasons (close to existing high-volume roads, cuts through town of Holly Springs)

While my vote would be for the route which turns south at Holly Springs Rd, I'm betting like Mike that the original option will be selected. I just hope that they decide to turn south sooner than Johnson Pond Rd.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:01 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,015 times
Y'all should be thankful that North Carolina, even with tolls, is delivering on transportation promises for future mobility.

Federal and state gas taxes (per gallon based) obviously won't suffice with 35mpg upcoming mandates.

Here in Georgia and many other places, nothing new is being built, and their only long-term plans consist of "managing", or tolling existing lanes on existing highways as a way out of gridlock.

North Carolina is so lucky to have conscientious planners studying every byway, highway and corridor across the state looking for ways to improve mobility, even if they can't afford it right now. I doubt if metro Atlanta's counties are actively holding town hall meetings, finalizing preferred routes for umpteen new roads and corridor improvements, etc. like y'all up there.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:24 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
I could not agree more with that statement.
You are already paying much less in taxes, which are based (per gallon), with improved fuel economy of today's cars.

How do we solve this mounting dilemma?

Old 09-16-2010, 12:46 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,993,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post

While my vote would be for the route which turns south at Holly Springs Rd, I'm betting like Mike that the original option will be selected. I just hope that they decide to turn south sooner than Johnson Pond Rd.
That's my favorite option, also. Less impact on Holly Springs, good access for downtown Fuquay, and most importantly, a good mile or so from my house. But it would obliterate the Pierce Olive Rd area, which up until this point has somehow remained untouched from any signs of progress...

Agree that they will go with what was originally planned. Way to freeze the real estate market in Southern Wake for a few months.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:05 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
That's my favorite option, also. Less impact on Holly Springs, good access for downtown Fuquay, and most importantly, a good mile or so from my house. But it would obliterate the Pierce Olive Rd area, which up until this point has somehow remained untouched from any signs of progress...

Agree that they will go with what was originally planned. Way to freeze the real estate market in Southern Wake for a few months.
With the new section of I-540 you will have access to even more Food Lions!

Old 09-16-2010, 07:39 PM

249 posts, read 692,011 times
Interesting to see these new route options. We live right next to Sunset Lake so none of the options will negatively impact us thankfully. One thing I noticed in recent months was that there was some logging that took place on Sunset Lake Road and I am pretty sure it was land that would be used for the original proposed route.

Also, I was wondering something. If and when this Southeast extension is built, would they wait to open the entire route or would they open it in sections? I would hope it would be the latter since thats what they did with 540 in north Raleigh. I was just wondering because I would love to see that intersection get to Holly Springs/Kildaire Farm Rd which would give us a two minute drive to the on ramp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary