Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 07:27 PM

49 posts, read 251,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I think it's generally a bad idea to deal with religious interpretation in a school for this reason. Even in a religious school that is a single religion the infighting can be terrible. Better to leave that stuff to the individual families.
I like and agree with a lot of what you have been saying. What you're describing, for the most part, is very similar to a Montessori approach, except for the lack of diversity among the staff. I'm having a hard time conceiving how you can honor what you say here if you start from the premise that all of the teachers harbor the same core religious beliefs. I find it even more difficult to conceive that diversity in the school, especially among the students, will occur when the potential attendees know that is a core of the school. How many people of diverse beliefs will feel comfortable enrolling their children in your school if they know you have intentionally employed teachers of the same core religious beliefs?

Quote:
My thread was mostly to find out from a marketing standpoint if people in the area believe that there is a market for a private school in southern Wake County. I did not intend to start a discussion on how to best run a school.
The two aren't exactly separable. The simple answer to whether there is a potential market for a private school in southern Wake County is yes, IMO. Whether there is a market for the kind of school you intend to run is really the more pertinent question though isn't it? Are you intending to shape the school to needs/desires of the market? Or seek a market for the kind of school you wish to run?

Since a failed school has been mentioned, on the off chance you aren't aware of it, there is another Montessori school in operation here that appears to be successful. Montessori Toddler through Elementary Private School, Holly Springs, Southern Wake County, North Carolina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 08:09 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,478,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacaroniDuck View Post
I like and agree with a lot of what you have been saying. What you're describing, for the most part, is very similar to a Montessori approach, except for the lack of diversity among the staff. I'm having a hard time conceiving how you can honor what you say here if you start from the premise that all of the teachers harbor the same core religious beliefs. I find it even more difficult to conceive that diversity in the school, especially among the students, will occur when the potential attendees know that is a core of the school. How many people of diverse beliefs will feel comfortable enrolling their children in your school if they know you have intentionally employed teachers of the same core religious beliefs?

Thank you for your input. I guess I don't agree that people with a similar perpective about the world and how we should live in it necessarily means that there is no diversity. I'm not talking about a strict, lengthy statement of faith. People of faith come from all corners of the world with all different cultures. I would love to have an international staff with perspectives from all walks of life.

We would want to create a religious school because I would only do this if it was exactly what I wanted for my family. The question is what kind of religious school would it be. Cary Christian requires that all of their students, or at least their parents, be Christians. St. Davids does not and there are Muslims at St. Davids. The parents send them because they want the good prep school education and it doesn't matter what the religious ideals of the school are.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:54 AM

49 posts, read 251,986 times
Well, I agree it doesn't mean there is no diversity. Obviously any time you get two people together there is some level of diversity. And I agree that people's interpretations of the word diversity differ as well. My point was that it is one thing to say your school is "Open to students of all faiths". It's another altogether to expect students of all faiths to experience that openness if all the teachers share the same faith/perspective and it is a religious school.

I suspect the vast majority of students at such a school, especially if you do plan for it to be a religious school, would be those who's family's view are similar to those of the staff. Surely there will be a few exceptions. With that in mind, I would encourage your next course to do an official market analysis/survey to determine if there is a sufficient need/desire for such a school to make it financially feasible. (i.e. Would enough people enroll at an appropriate tuition level such that you'd be able to pull it off.)

Old 08-04-2010, 03:26 PM

586 posts, read 1,547,665 times
Pegotty,

I have to confess, I have a doctoral degree and am having trouble following what you are looking for in terms of feedback. Is there a market for a private school? Most likely. You want the children to think for themselves and learn in non-traditional ways yet why would you hire a staff that only shares your religious values? I think posters challenging your concept is healthy debate that might help you anticipate the challenges ahead in forming such a school. It is very inspiring to hear that someone wants to make a change where they think something is broken but to bash public education without realizing its merits does not sound like the critical thinking that you would like to develop in our youngsters. I am very interested in hearing how your plans turn out.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:35 PM

I never said that public schools didn't have anything of value. I only spoke of the things I see that can be done better and a particular path to accomplish that goal.

If this conversation is any indication of the need for the kind of private school I am proposing, then there doesn't appear to be a very strong market.

I appreciate everyone's repsonses.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:39 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,865,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
Is there a market for this in the current economy? What is your opinion?
gut feeling is no as the set up investment will be so high it would almost certainly be impossible to raise the funding throught the normal banking channels in the current economy. Any investment would only be raised with the backing of a very comprehensive business plan outlining the potential revenues, the sources of those revenues and how to respond to the competition - both public schools and existing private schools. The business plan would have to be based on hard facts and not subjective judgements or personal preferences. Whilst the idea may be good it would be virtualy impossible to get off the ground without a backer with very deep pockets who has no interest in making a return on their financial investment.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:18 PM

43,315 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Exclamation It ain't over until someone gives up....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
I never said that public schools didn't have anything of value. I only spoke of the things I see that can be done better and a particular path to accomplish that goal.

If this conversation is any indication of the need for the kind of private school I am proposing, then there doesn't appear to be a very strong market.

I appreciate everyone's repsonses.
Any successful enterprise is started by someone who is willing to take flak, rejection, criticism, and disrespect from naysayers.

I think there IS a market for what you propose. You just will not open the door and have the Ben Franklins blow in on the wind just because you claim to have a better mousetrap.
The concept "market" connotes marketing and sales. These and persistence are the necessary skills to prevail. And that market will be rougher than a few people on an internet forum.

You will need to identify and study the target market, learn their desires and how to serve them, and as Beermat says, have a solid plan how to generate the revenue and backing to pay the bills.
After well-researched conceptualization and development, you will have to market the school concept and close the deal with enough parents to build a school community and cover expenses.

If you are dissuaded from the possibility due to some minor disagreement on a forum, then, no, for you there is no market.
If you have faith in your concept, strong will, and limitless persistence, you just might find a viable market.

Persistence Quotes: (http://www.quotempole.com/subjects/Persistence/Persistence.htm - broken link)

My favorite, by Ray Kroc:
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence.
Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
Education alone will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.
Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Old 08-04-2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
If you are dissuaded from the possibility due to some minor disagreement on a forum, then, no, for you there is no market.
If you have faith in your concept, strong will, and limitless persistence, you just might find a viable market.
I totally understand and agree with what you are saying. Please know that there are other outside influences that are directing my thoughts. I would never make a decision to start or not start a business based on an internet forum. My family is at a crossroads right now and we are simply trying to decide which path to take. We have personally been hit hard by changes in the economy. I know that times like these cause alot of pain, but also, they often birth amazing things. I do appreciate your sincere and helpful comments.

eta: If I were easily dissuaded by a message board, I would have taken everyone's advice to change the religious foundation of the school. I believe (based on what I know of the area and the people who live here) that there is a better market for a religiously based school as I have described it (religious foundation, not indoctrinating). A few naysayers, no matter how vehement have not convinced me otherwise! :-)

Old 08-04-2010, 07:20 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,838,997 times
Just a reminder, everyone -- this forum is to discuss *local* issues only. If you'd like to debate educational philosophies, staffing criteria, or any other NON-local issue, please take it to the Education forum.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:30 AM

134 posts, read 523,070 times
I believe there is, parents are tired of public schools. If there is a reasonablly priced private school that doesn't cost $700.00 a month per kid people might consider it. I think most parents who are in the market for the private school and are on a budget are looking for more affordable private schools, less than $500.00 per month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary