Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 07:53 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,704,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
I have a question for all of the old board supporters, "What are you going to do when you lose additional seats in the next election?"
I think at this point, everyone's forgotten why they voted half of the old board out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 07:53 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
RTTT has nothing to do with accreditation from an independent governing body. Wake County schools are accredited by the state of NC which is more than sufficient. Many states that received RTTT funding have many schools without independent accreditation. The award is based on state ed policies and programs, so an individual county wouldn't sway it either way. Of course, I'm not sure how NC will distribute that funding to the districts, my guess would be there are plenty of districts with higher priorities than Wake! Wouldn't you want that money to go to the schools that aren't making AYP?

Wake county schools actually do very well on the RTTT criteria...charter schools, longitudinal data tracking, state assessment, common core curriculum. The biggest change will come in teacher evaluation.

Race to the Top - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gotta love Wikipedia!
Yes, not disagreeing at all. I wonder if the new Wake will align with state education efforts as previously identified. That is their weakness with the accreditation process. If you as a teacher have gone through it at your school you know part of the evaluation includes district operations. That is what I linked previously and what was on the news the other day. You are in schools and would know if there have been any changes in initiatives and if the board has said anything about the areas you have identified as being reforms under RTTT. You know the drill about changes in teacher evaluation and that is often accompanied by changes in how teachers are paid. Is that moving forward at all? Is the school system moving forward with clarity of direction?

Old 01-21-2011, 09:22 AM

519 posts, read 982,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Religious conflict leads to teacher's suspension - Education - NewsObserver.com

This became a topic regarding Tedesco when he made comments on social media about another board member and he was not included under the policy.
Thanks for the reference.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:34 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,688,749 times
I think I will send Tedesco a gift: a box of garbage bags and a yard sale sign.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:41 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
I wonder when we are going to get to a place in our society when debates are about issues, not people.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:12 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I wonder when we are going to get to a place in our society when debates are about issues, not people.
When people grasp validity of multiple sides of issues, and the merits of multiple sides.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:42 PM

792 posts, read 4,488,681 times
Quote:
Don't be so naive. The personalities are contributing to the rancor of the school board. It's a case of the wrong people being leaders. The issues are almost secondary at this point.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:04 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedratermi View Post
Don't be so naive. The personalities are contributing to the rancor of the school board.
You're right. So many important personality issues like Mr. Tata's eyebrows, and whether Mr. Tedesco, as an elected official, is entitled to be addressed as "Honorable" and where Stephen Colbert's kids go to school ....

Do you think these discussions are helping to alleviate the rancor of which you complain?

The issues are the issue. They are never "secondary.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:25 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
You're right. So many important personality issues like Mr. Tata's eyebrows, and whether Mr. Tedesco, as an elected official, is entitled to be addressed as "Honorable" and where Stephen Colbert's kids go to school ....

Do you think these discussions are helping to alleviate the rancor of which you complain?

Well, if the issues are immaterial, they can be secondary to nearly any whim.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:30 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,848,202 times
Quote:

It's easier to tear apart a person than to explore a complex issue.

However, often the personal stuff is relevant:

Tata's eyebrows... hmmm... that was just a mean comment
how to address Tedesco? a mere quibble
Tedesco accepting gifts? that's important- an ethical issue
Tedesco's personal finances? again- important- it goes to his judgment in financial issues affecting us all
Where Colbert's kids go to school? Relevant... because it's quite arrogant for someone in a glass house...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary