Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 12:27 PM

600 posts, read 3,448,071 times

Advertisements

Is evangelical Christianity more prevalent here than in NJ? Yep. Is it " In your face"? Nope.

Here's the deal: It's cultural, not religious. The church has historically been the center of social life as well as spiritual life for many people for many years. Not so much now, but for the senior crowd here, it still is that. And the best way they know how to connect with a stranger is to inquire about your church affiliation. The reason they do that is because they might know somebody at your church, and now they've established some common ground with you. And now you're no longer a stranger.

When I was interviewed for a job here a few years ago, one of the owners of the business was an older fellow who asked, of course, where I went to church. I told him, and he said, "Methodist.....Well, they ain't as bad as some others I guess."
I was not offended. My step-father might have said the same thing.

Regards,
Streamer1212
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 12:50 PM

8 posts, read 16,309 times
This area is part of the bible belt. Just look at the blue laws.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:04 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,446,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamer1212 View Post
When I was interviewed for a job here a few years ago, one of the owners of the business was an older fellow who asked, of course, where I went to church. I told him, and he said, "Methodist.....Well, they ain't as bad as some others I guess."
I was not offended. My step-father might have said the same thing.

Regards,
Streamer1212
What do you think his response would have been if your answer had indicated that you were not a Christian? And do you think it would have affected his hiring decision?

Old 02-09-2011, 03:12 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeb53 View Post
This area is part of the bible belt. Just look at the blue laws.
There are few blue laws left except liquor stores not being open on Sundays. You should have lived here in the 1970s when almost everything closed on Sundays.

Anyway, The Triangle is not Bible-belty; NC as a whole still has some regressive laws that outsiders see as unusually restrictive, but it's far from the "Bible Belt" of Alabama, Mississippi, or Oklahoma. Just here in the Triangle I know of two Baptist churches that routinely hold same-sex commitment ceremonies for their substantially gay congregations.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:35 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,846,254 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...e-gay-led.html

Maybe there's lots of bible reading going on, all those bits about Jesus and love and all

Old 02-10-2011, 07:17 AM

600 posts, read 3,448,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
What do you think his response would have been if your answer had indicated that you were not a Christian? And do you think it would have affected his hiring decision?
Him: So, where do you go to church?
Me: I don't have one.
Him: Well, perhaps you'd be interested in coming to mine.
Me: Well, that's a pretty long drive. I'm sure I'll work something out close to home.
Him: Yeah, good idea. When can you start?

I'm not silly enough to start that "I'm not a Christian" discussion with a potential employer, especially when I know that he is one. Perhaps after the employment issue is settled, one could crack that door a bit.

Regards,
Streamer1212

Old 02-10-2011, 08:11 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,446,794 times
I understand what you're saying, and I would likely handle it the same way.

The point I was making (and you seem to agree) is that I need to hide my lack of religious beliefs to get along here. While I understand that you're not offended by that, it makes me uncomfortable. I don't want to be asked, and I don't want to have to avoid answering.

Last edited by roscomac; 02-10-2011 at 08:36 AM..

Old 02-10-2011, 08:50 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,846,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
I understand what you're saying, and I would likely handle it the same way.

The point I was making (and you seem to agree) is that I need to hide my lack of religious beliefs to get along here. While I understand that you're not offended by that, it makes me uncomfortable. I don't want to be asked, and I don't want to have to avoid answering.
Wherever you go, there will be things about the local culture that delight or annoy you.

There will be people who are pushier than others.

Unlike in many urban areas, Christians here do not hide their Christianity. That is the culture here. Whether they are liberal, conservative, straight, gay, black or white... whether they try to convert you or not? That will differ on the person.

Even in an urban area you may have someone shove a religious pamplet at you... maybe it will be a Christian, maybe a Hare Krishna... but, yes, it happens in cities too.

What the pp's are trying to say is that you don't have to worry about hiding who you are from a majority of people here! It's just not like that!

Old 02-10-2011, 06:57 PM

75 posts, read 150,820 times
When did this country lose its identity with Christianity? Are we all really that worried someone may ask about where we may or may not go to church? I mean is it hard to actually tell someone that you don't? Seriously?
I am not a church goer but I pray for this country every evening. From reading threads like this one I will make sure I pray a little longer. Wow!

Old 02-10-2011, 09:41 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,537,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamer1212 View Post
Him: So, where do you go to church?
Me: I don't have one.
Him: Well, perhaps you'd be interested in coming to mine.
Me: Well, that's a pretty long drive. I'm sure I'll work something out close to home.
Him: Yeah, good idea. When can you start?

I'm not silly enough to start that "I'm not a Christian" discussion with a potential employer, especially when I know that he is one. Perhaps after the employment issue is settled, one could crack that door a bit.

Regards,
Streamer1212
Think that would fall under the area of questions you don't have to answer as part of the interview due to their potential to be discriminatory in nature. You may have been better off answering the question truthfully, not being selected and sue for religious discrimination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary