Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 08:16 AM

275 posts, read 1,114,898 times

Advertisements

Pine straw is also good for acid loving plants...like many popular plants here in NC. That said, I still prefer to look of wood mulch...just what I'm used to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 09:39 AM
bta

284 posts, read 1,885,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
If you do use mulch in your landscaping, termite inspectors will tell you NOT to allow it that close to your foundation as it could come complete WITH TERMITES!!!

I prefer pine STRAW. It has a NC look to it! Its natural.
Here's some research on termites and mulch. The first is the brief findings while the second link is the longer writeup.

In short, "organic mulches do not attract termites to the underlying soil, nor will the termites consume mulches in any great quantity". Like Vicki noted, you should not put mulch right next to the foundation because the termites "could theoretically use the mulch as a bridge up over a termiticide treatment around a foundation and into a home. For this reason, it is recommended that a band of bare soil be left around foundations." So even pine straw is not recommended around the foundation.

http://www.agnr.umd.edu/ipmnet/03termte.pdf (broken link)

http://entmcv.umd.edu/docs/entm_cv/b..._Long_etal.PDF

Old 08-07-2007, 12:22 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Good information, bta.

Termite Inspector said that wood bark mulch is WOOD so thats why it attracts the termites. Pine straw is just the needles from the pine tree so I guess that doesn't appeal to the termites as much as wood!

Vicki

Old 08-07-2007, 12:49 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
I found out from selling my old house that mulch=termites. It is as stated a draw and can be a bridge. I will be using pine straw down here.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:26 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,690,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Wait until November and it'll be all over the ground.
Yup, we have had people knock on our doors with their trucks and trailers out in the road, asking if we wanted to get rid of our pine needles,

Old 08-07-2007, 03:20 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumngal View Post
Yup, we have had people knock on our doors with their trucks and trailers out in the road, asking if we wanted to get rid of our pine needles,
Sell it to the original poster......I say we get together as a community, gather up our pine needles, get sleonar1's address and as long as he/she provides a keg and some food we have a pine needle party.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:33 PM

709 posts, read 935,436 times
Get pine needles from a reputable source, Otherwise FIRE ANTS can be brought to your land!!

Old 08-07-2007, 04:06 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbywan View Post
Get pine needles from a reputable source, Otherwise FIRE ANTS can be brought to your land!!
Fire ants are everywhere in the South. That's like "bringing" ebola to the Congo.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:50 PM

12 posts, read 58,104 times
TICKS, ticks, and more ticks - that's what I have in my pine needles - my pine trees drop them and I just leave them because I'm done with all the tick problems. I think I'd rather deal with the termites, the ticks have caused big health problems for me.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:21 PM

55 posts, read 353,620 times
Default Do they offer to rake them too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumngal View Post
Autumngal,do they offer to rake them for you too?

I do remember the needles being used in landscaping when I moved down there.

The pine needles here in Flagstaff are so dang sharp. You have to wear leather gloves to pick the buggers up. We have Ponderosa Pines out here.

Are the needles on your pines that sharp or can you use something lighter?

Linda
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary