Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 02:20 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times

Advertisements

Every campus I've ever been on in every part of the country has had its resident street preacher. Been that way for decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 02:51 PM

39 posts, read 159,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Every campus I've ever been on in every part of the country has had its resident street preacher. Been that way for decades.
Sure.. I'm just letting him know that some weeks it is an every day thing. Are there preachers everywhere? Of course. However, it's a simple fact that down here there is a larger evangelical community, so naturally he is going to encouter more of this sort of thing.

I wasn't accosted nearly as much in PA as I was here down at NCSU. All I'm sayin'.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:29 PM

286 posts, read 685,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
The college I went to in Texas had a guy that wore sandwich boards and would yell, "Fornicators" at us when we passed him. He was fun.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:39 PM

650 posts, read 930,122 times
I came from the South Shore of Mass, Easton. I have been through Worcester many many times. I came to school here and then traveled around Europe and California. I now have chosen Raleigh as my home. Mountains two hour to the west and beaches two hours to the east. A beautiful place.

Only other thing to say is In life City dwellers want to move out to the country and country folk want to move to the big city. Which are you?

Old 08-22-2011, 04:00 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
Been here nearly 18 years. Never saw a street preacher.

Went to NYC earlier this year. A street preacher was on the subway, waving his bible and yelling at all of us to repent.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:51 PM

1,310 posts, read 2,940,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaderGirl View Post
The college I went to in Texas had a guy that wore sandwich boards and would yell, "Fornicators" at us when we passed him. He was fun.
Hmmmmm, I think he was at my school also. Maybe it's a cult of the Sandwich Board dudes?

Old 08-22-2011, 07:01 PM

2 posts, read 9,686 times
Thank you all for your replies, but I actually have visited the Campus but it was a while ago and we didn't spend much time in Raleigh so I didn't get a good impression of the city, all I saw was the strip of restaurants and bars right off campus. But as for what I am regarding city or country I'm half way between, grew up in the suburbs of worcester then moved closer to worcester and now I work in the city at the best seafood restaurant we have.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:07 PM

223 posts, read 577,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaaa View Post
Not too much preachyness, but there are fundamentalist Christians on campus every week without fail. NCSU has the Brickyard which is the central part of campus where tons of paths cross. There are many times where they are handing out literature or there will be a preacher there damning everyone. Fun Stuff. YouTube "Preacher Gary NCSU"
I'll be damned (literally). There was an infamous preacher where I completed my undergraduate degree in the Northeast also named "Gary."

Maybe he read one of "those lists" and relocated to NC for his "land of milk and honey."

Old 08-22-2011, 07:16 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,194,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaaa View Post
Not too much preachyness, but there are fundamentalist Christians on campus every week without fail. NCSU has the Brickyard which is the central part of campus where tons of paths cross. There are many times where they are handing out literature or there will be a preacher there damning everyone. Fun Stuff. YouTube "Preacher Gary NCSU" ....
Hey now, Gary Birdsong is a cultural institution and an integral part of the college experience.

As for State, about 12 years ago or so someone put out a hilarious rap video about how boring the place is. As an alumnus I'd say it was spot on. On the plus side you can get a lot of work done with few distractions, but if you want to party or chase skirts (also an integral part of the college experience) you're driving to Chapel Hill.

I heard they finally killed Brent Road too, those fascists.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:27 PM

527 posts, read 686,940 times
Geez, harsh much? I didn't love Raleigh when I moved here, but it certainly doesn't suck. You have to find your niche!

Seriously. Get off here and come for a visit before you decide. Spend a weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary