Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you were on the school board, would you replace Superintendent Tony Tata?
Yes, I would replace him. 4 6.15%
No, I would not replace him. 61 93.85%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 09:17 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,112,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Tata has a military background (wasn't he a General?). In the military you are given orders and expected to follow them.
And this characteristic will probably benefit him as the WCPSS superintendent. He reports to the school board and implements their policies. As long as he can do that and do it well, he'll be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 10:11 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,449,611 times
Quote:
Obviously the liberals will want Tata removed. Tata has a military background (wasn't he a General?). In the military you are given orders and expected to follow them. Liberals could never stand for that because they think they're always right and there is no other way.
Now that's just silly talk right there.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:33 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,837,831 times
Let me remind everyone to please keep the discussion both civil and on-topic.

Thanks.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:59 AM

387 posts, read 1,046,067 times
Well, I am very pro-public education, pro-teacher, and I am of two minds about Tata. He has come in and pulled together a plan that has (I think) widespread support. He is getting stuff done despite budget cuts and a lot of political pressure.

However, I have found him a bit overbearing and insincere at times. During community meetings it seems he is there to sell ideas that have already been decided and masquerading as someone who is seeking community input prior to making a decision. He gets a bit prickly when the idea they are pushing is criticized. He has also outright misled parents about programs that would be offered and when confronted about it has gotten defensive.

I also do not like this direction of such specialization of schools...the boys and girls academies and the Hilburn K-8 plan, etc. It feels like he is trying to model public schools after private schools. Of course, I have never really been in favor of the charter/magnet school program either. All this specialization has got to be really expensive. I am in favor of neighborhood schools but I feel that we should offer the exact same educational experience from one school to another, which would resolve a lot of the complaining around these parts. Oh, and while they're at it, eliminate year round. There's too many choices and it encourages an entitled environment where parents want to be catered to and get upset when they don't get their track or admission to that charter or that magnet.

But back to Tata, I think he definitely gets things done but he has negatives.

Last edited by goldenncmom; 11-09-2011 at 12:19 PM..

Old 11-09-2011, 12:06 PM
ERH

1,700 posts, read 2,532,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnerMama View Post
I would love to see what he's going to do. Real progress is made when people with different views work together. I wish all of this extreme partisanship would go away (locally and nationally) ...everyone should put of their big girl panties and work it out.
THIS is the slogan I'd like to see plastered on all those campaign signs. Really, people, grow up, be adults, quit the petty bickering, and get on with the business we've "hired" you to do.

I love Tata. I think he is the absolute best person to serve as Superintendent. Bring in the outsider, no baggage, no agenda, and let him figure out how to build consensus and move the ball forward. Our kids deserve nothing less than the best, and I think they have it in Tata. Well, since Capital Prep's Dr. Steve Perry isn't available, that is.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:13 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,170,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
And this characteristic will probably benefit him as the WCPSS superintendent. He reports to the school board and implements their policies. As long as he can do that and do it well, he'll be fine.
Dr. Burns couldn't follow a board he disrespected and he was purged.

Tata's OK but not a Dr. Burns.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:55 PM

351 posts, read 770,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I'm kind of baffled as to why this question is being asked. What reasons are being proffered for firing Mr. Tata?
I'm baffled too; but, a few that come to mind:

- He was hired by the current Republican controlled board.

- He is making student achievement a priority in the assignment plan (something some of the newly elected BOE members are not)

- He is not being a puppet for Rev. Willie.

Not that any of these have merit; just saying....

Old 11-09-2011, 01:59 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,843,375 times
You do not become a General without extraordinary abilities in managing people and keeping them on course towards the goal. Provided a common goal can be created and sustained within the board, we would be hard pressed to find a better sort of leader to implement that plan. Just my .02.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:10 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,682,437 times
Lightbulb A Non-Resident Weighs In...But First---

Quote:
Just because one deems their self as a democrat doesn't mean they're liberal.

Obviously the liberals will want Tata removed. Tata has a military background (wasn't he a General?). In the military you are given orders and expected to follow them. Liberals could never stand for that because they think they're always right and there is no other way.
Let me apologize, as I always do when I express myself in a forum from a state in which I'm not a resident, for anything that I might say that might ruffle a few feathers...

I'm ex-Army infantry, and I fully understand the concept of following an order when given...but all this puerile, ticky-tack, liberal vs conservative whining going on is utter bullcookies, and it needs to stop... "Liberals could never stand for that because they think they're always right and there is no other way"---yeahhh right...there are those on the other side of the aisle who carry on the exact same way---how about EVERYBODY on BOTH sides just put a damn sock in it, and let the man do his job?

I had been following this issue with great interest, up to and including the Burns departure...it does not and ultimately SHOULD not matter WHAT ideology is in the majority on the board---as long as Mr Tata makes wise, sound decisions that benefit all concerned, isn't that what the bottom line should be? Shouldn't this be about folks' kids getting a better education, rather than a bunch of nonsensical bickering about the number of liberals and conservatives on the board, and who's 'flexing their power' or whatever?

I swear, it doesn't matter WHAT the situation is nowadays, whether it's about a school board member in NC, or what party the new family in the neighborhood is for here in my own Ohio---EVERYTHING degenerates into the same old childish 'liberal vs conservative' ongoing snowball fight, with everybody taking sides and whining til the cows come home, and NOTHING getting done on any level due to all the dadgum finger-pointing

I close with this...ladies and gents, at the end of the day it does NOT matter about ideology...we are all citizens of our respective states, and collectively, citizens of the United States Of America...the focus should be on letting Mr Tata ultimately do what he was hired and paid to do, which is, as I mentioned before, making wise, sound decisions for ALL children, teachers, and parents concerned---NOT which blasted ideology has the majority on the school board...

If Mr Tata was once indeed a general, then he should do what good generals have done since there were armies---Yell 'TEN-HUT' and lock everybody in at the position of attention, dare anyone to move, and then say 'THIS is how it's going to be' and get the job done, and not pay any attention to which side has more people on the board

Old 11-09-2011, 02:35 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,099,752 times
I agree with most of what you are saying.

Tata was a Brigadier General. But he reports to the school board. So they'll be the ones issuing his orders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
Let me apologize, as I always do when I express myself in a forum from a state in which I'm not a resident, for anything that I might say that might ruffle a few feathers...

I'm ex-Army infantry, and I fully understand the concept of following an order when given...but all this puerile, ticky-tack, liberal vs conservative whining going on is utter bullcookies, and it needs to stop... "Liberals could never stand for that because they think they're always right and there is no other way"---yeahhh right...there are those on the other side of the aisle who carry on the exact same way---how about EVERYBODY on BOTH sides just put a damn sock in it, and let the man do his job?

I had been following this issue with great interest, up to and including the Burns departure...it does not and ultimately SHOULD not matter WHAT ideology is in the majority on the board---as long as Mr Tata makes wise, sound decisions that benefit all concerned, isn't that what the bottom line should be? Shouldn't this be about folks' kids getting a better education, rather than a bunch of nonsensical bickering about the number of liberals and conservatives on the board, and who's 'flexing their power' or whatever?

I swear, it doesn't matter WHAT the situation is nowadays, whether it's about a school board member in NC, or what party the new family in the neighborhood is for here in my own Ohio---EVERYTHING degenerates into the same old childish 'liberal vs conservative' ongoing snowball fight, with everybody taking sides and whining til the cows come home, and NOTHING getting done on any level due to all the dadgum finger-pointing

I close with this...ladies and gents, at the end of the day it does NOT matter about ideology...we are all citizens of our respective states, and collectively, citizens of the United States Of America...the focus should be on letting Mr Tata ultimately do what he was hired and paid to do, which is, as I mentioned before, making wise, sound decisions for ALL children, teachers, and parents concerned---NOT which blasted ideology has the majority on the school board...

If Mr Tata was once indeed a general, then he should do what good generals have done since there were armies---Yell 'TEN-HUT' and lock everybody in at the position of attention, dare anyone to move, and then say 'THIS is how it's going to be' and get the job done, and not pay any attention to which side has more people on the board
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary