Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 03:53 PM

173 posts, read 313,056 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows if there is any plan to ever fix this intersection so that both sides of Green Level Church Road line up across O'Kelly Chapel Road in Cary. It seems kind of silly that they are a couple of hundred feet apart considering there is nothing built on either side of O'Kelly Chapel Road that would prevent them from moving part of GLC Rd to make them into one intersection. At the very least, they should straighten out the southern portion of GLC so that you don't come out at a weird angle if you're trying to turn left.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 07:46 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,543,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb3589 View Post
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows if there is any plan to ever fix this intersection so that both sides of Green Level Church Road line up across O'Kelly Chapel Road in Cary. It seems kind of silly that they are a couple of hundred feet apart considering there is nothing built on either side of O'Kelly Chapel Road that would prevent them from moving part of GLC Rd to make them into one intersection. At the very least, they should straighten out the southern portion of GLC so that you don't come out at a weird angle if you're trying to turn left.

Thanks!
Good question. The problem is if they straighten out the roads then they will definitely need a stoplight, whereas now they can get by without one for now. [But that area can be troubling during the morning/evening rush]

Old 01-06-2012, 06:23 AM

379 posts, read 959,533 times
If you look at this map you will see that the exisiting section of Green Level is Dark Purple & the planned alignment is Pink.

There was an old house that was razed by the Fire Dept., a good year or more ago, that was in the way of the future alignment & needed to be removed.

http://www.townofcary.org/Assets/Eng...tationPlan.pdf

Old 01-06-2012, 06:45 AM

297 posts, read 740,749 times
I can't open the map, Carmela C, but will try from another machine later. I've been watching this for some time and I'm worried that the alignment is not going as planned. It seems that the Horton's Creek pool was built with future alignment in mind, but only barely. There's a berm and some trees planted, but a road could squeeze in beside the pool. The curb seems built with alignment in mind, and yes, the houses were razed. The part that confuses me is that there is land for sale now - the corner lot with the old pump house. Would that be on the other side of Green Level Church in a future alignment and is that why it's for sale?

It's a very awkward intersection, and a very busy one, so it would be great if it could garner the attention of town planners in the near future. And while we're at it, please, please, please let's fix Green Level Church Rd. on the far end of Greystone, where the road takes a sharp turn towards Holland Farm. That place makes me cringe both ways.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoneOfThis View Post
I can't open the map, Carmela C, but will try from another machine later. I've been watching this for some time and I'm worried that the alignment is not going as planned. It seems that the Horton's Creek pool was built with future alignment in mind, but only barely. There's a berm and some trees planted, but a road could squeeze in beside the pool. The curb seems built with alignment in mind, and yes, the houses were razed. The part that confuses me is that there is land for sale now - the corner lot with the old pump house. Would that be on the other side of Green Level Church in a future alignment and is that why it's for sale?

It's a very awkward intersection, and a very busy one, so it would be great if it could garner the attention of town planners in the near future. And while we're at it, please, please, please let's fix Green Level Church Rd. on the far end of Greystone, where the road takes a sharp turn towards Holland Farm. That place makes me cringe both ways.
Checked the link & it opened fine (wanted to make sure), so just check from another computer, like you said.

You raise good points & I think if enough residents email the town OR go to Council meetings & use the PUBLIC SPEAKS OUT forum to vouce this issue, maybe it could be pushed to the top of the "TO DO" list NOTE:This, however will ONLY be effective IF this is a TOWN Rd.

Last edited by Carmela C; 01-06-2012 at 07:33 AM..

Old 01-06-2012, 07:39 AM

OK, the attached maps show this is a STATE owned Road.
Attached Thumbnails
Green Level Church Rd & O'Kelly Chapel Rd Intersection-road-map-green-level-chrurch-okelly.gif   Green Level Church Rd & O'Kelly Chapel Rd Intersection-legend_roads.gif  

Old 01-06-2012, 07:48 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,831,844 times
^^ The fact that it is a state road doesn't mean that the town couldn't fund the improvement if they wanted. See example: Davis Drive.

But the real reason is that they are probably waiting for the land to be developed so that neither the town nor the state has to pay for the realignment. They can require a developer to build the realignment as a part of the rezoning or site plan approval process. They will probably also require the same developer to add a traffic signal to the intersection.

The lot at the SW corner of GLC and OKC is a part of the Amberly Activity Center so it will likely be developed as retail of some sort.

There's also an old two-lane bridge on GLC which will need to be replaced as the road is widened going north from there. As I recall, that bridge is low and can sometimes flood in heavy rains.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
^^ The fact that it is a state road doesn't mean that the town couldn't fund the improvement if they wanted. See example: Davis Drive.

But the real reason is that they are probably waiting for the land to be developed so that neither the town nor the state has to pay for the realignment. They can require a developer to build the realignment as a part of the rezoning or site plan approval process. They will probably also require the same developer to add a traffic signal to the intersection.

The lot at the SW corner of GLC and OKC is a part of the Amberly Activity Center so it will likely be developed as retail of some sort.

There's also an old two-lane bridge on GLC which will need to be replaced as the road is widened going north from there. As I recall, that bridge is low and can sometimes flood in heavy rains.
Great point, orulz ! and I believe your point to be true .

Old 01-10-2012, 04:25 PM

1,310 posts, read 2,940,208 times
Well, something is going on there now. Not sure what it is but lots of construction equipment this week.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:14 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,961 times
It is an awkward intersection and OKC needs to be 4 lanes because folks don't know how to drive the speed limit. OKC has a 50 mph from 55 all the way to 751.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary