Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 03:57 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,156,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I'm currently registered as unaffiliated, and IIRC, that means I can vote in one of the parties primaries and on general measures such as the proposed amendment. Is that correct?
This is correct. I haven't decided which I'll be voting in yet.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:07 PM

533 posts, read 1,199,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim C. View Post
I'm currently registered as unaffiliated, and IIRC, that means I can vote in one of the parties primaries and on general measures such as the proposed amendment. Is that correct?

If anyone else is looking, you can find a personalized sample ballot by entering your info at the following link.

https://www.ncsbe.gov/VoterLookup.as...ture=voterinfo
Yep. I'm unaffiliated with any party. When I went for early voting today I was given the choice of voting on a Democratic, Republican, Libertarian, or unaffiliated ballot.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:37 AM

924 posts, read 2,104,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I am not convinced that Orange County will vote emphatically against the Amendment. Voting patterns in Orange County tend to be split - with the more urbanized areas (Chapel Hill, Carrboro and Hillsborough voting more liberally) and the rural areas voting more conservatively. I think it will fail in Orange, but not by a huge margin. I could be wrong.
To be clear, I didn't actually say that Orange County or the other counties that mm34b cited as having the most early voting activity so far were going to vote extremely emphatically against Amendment One (although "emphatic" voting is a relative and vaguely subjective term). I just said that the five counties mentioned by mm34b seemed like the counties likely to be more emphatically against the amendment than the other 95 counties in the state, based on historical trends. I'm not sure I agree with toot68's prediction of a 75-25 vote against the amendment in Orange County, but it's a possibility, and certainly not too far off, since clearly Orange and Durham Counties are consistently the strongest supporters of progressive political action in the state. Buncombe and Wake Counties aren't far behind, although there the progressive vote is diluted a bit more by larger blocs of less-progressive voters as well. Henderson County is a tricky one, in that it tends to vote fairly conservative and Republican in general, and yet also has a large and visible presence of progressives, and particularly gays and lesbians, whom we can assume would generally strongly oppose the amendment. Still, maybe I would substitute for Henderson County in the list of top 5 counties expected to vote most emphatically against the amendment overall with another of the urban counties, like Mecklenburg or Guilford. But I thought that mm34b's list (assuming it's accurate) was interesting, and possibly somewhat encouraging for those of us against Amendment One.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:32 PM

449 posts, read 700,103 times
Default Keeping score

So far, I've seen 'activist judges' and a 'liberal agenda' mentioned so far.

Heh, you sure this shouldn't be moved, Dark of the Moon?

[another family against this redundant slam on civil rights AND egregious waste of taxpayer money from a crew that was voted in by saying they would be all about the economy and jobs jobs jobs… this will drive jobs AWAY from NC, that's why business is against it as well as principled conservatives]

Old 04-29-2012, 05:21 PM

564 posts, read 873,473 times
I am still thinking about it. At this point, I am leaning towards voting yes.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:43 AM

699 posts, read 1,706,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbelle View Post
I'm voting against because it's not a necessary law. Gay marriage is currently illegal in NC and will remain illegal regardless of whether the amendment passes. We're going to waste taxpayer money as this goes to court, as it likely will. I'm also particularly concerned about the effect on insurance for children of unmarried couples and domestic protective orders (for both gays and straights).

And I think it's shameful to use our Constitution to take away rights of individuals. The Constitution is designed to protect our rights.

The amendment does not "protect" marriage. Heterosexual marriage is not in danger from homosexuals; it's in danger from heterosexuals who are so bad at being a partner that they shouldn't be getting married in the first place .... um, sort of like Newt Gingrich.
Pretty much summed up my thoughts on this sorry situation.

Got a huge chuckle out of a TV commercial recently on this very subject in which New Gingrich spoke about the sanctity of marriage. At first I thought it was a joke. Where does a man who keeps abandoning his wives to marry his mistresses find the gall to lecture others on the sanctity of 'till-death-do-us-part marriage?

Old 04-30-2012, 07:09 AM

915 posts, read 2,383,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janster100 View Post
I am still thinking about it. At this point, I am leaning towards voting yes.

You're very forthcoming with how you'll be voting, but don't cite any reasons on why you'll be voting this way. Just curious, what makes you want to enshrine discrimination in our state constitution?

Old 04-30-2012, 07:18 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redandorangeskittles View Post
I look forward to voting against this amendment next week.
One of my friends gets health insurance from her boyfriend and she is unable to work because of chronic illnesses that have left her disabled. If this passes, I doubt she will be able to get insurance on her own for a reasonable price.
This kind of fraud is the best reason I can see for voting for the amendment. Many companies have free insurance for employees. Companies should not have to be paying for insurance for friends of the employee. This amendment will make that illegal and it should be.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 04-30-2012 at 09:17 AM..

Old 04-30-2012, 07:43 AM

43,296 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Gee.
I would love to see more discussion about the legal aspects of the amendment and less abrasive attitudinal stuff that will end up with the thread being locked down.

How would a suit proceed through the NC judicial system, and likely outcomes, is very interesting to me.

Who would file suit locally?

Would there need to be a triggering event, or would the passage of the amendment be sufficient to provide standing for a suit?

Old 04-30-2012, 07:52 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,156,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
This kind of fraud is the best reason I can see for voting for the amendment. Many companies have free insurance for employees. Companies should not have to be paying for insurance for friends of the employee. This amendment will make that illegal and it should be.
How exactly is this fraud? It's up to the employer whether they allow their employees to add significant others other than married spouses to their plan. It's not like they're doing it incognito. If the employer doesn't want to allow for that then they'll put a stop to it.

Quote:
Would there need to be a triggering event, or would the passage of the amendment be sufficient to provide standing for a suit?
Passage of the amendment would be enough to bring about a lawsuit if someone wished to, as long as the grounds of the lawsuit were that the amendment violated federal law or the US Constitution. Then it's up to the lawyers to prove whatever case they're making.

Last edited by evaofnc; 04-30-2012 at 07:55 AM.. Reason: a
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary