Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 10:07 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,993,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
Wegmans which is privately held is probably too small to ingest Harris Teeter. Wegmans has 81 stores to HT's 211. How could they raise enough capital to make the purchase?
Wegmans has fewer stores, but they have nearly twice as many employees and do about 50% more revenue than Harris Teeter. So while they would probably need some help if they wanted to acquire HT, store count alone is a poor comparison metric given the size of Wegmans' stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 10:15 AM

5,896 posts, read 6,963,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
I use the online grocery shopping and pickup feature at HT all the time. I would miss that terribly.
I've heard good things about, but not yet tried Amazon's Subscribe and Save service which offers free shipping. It sounds like they offer good, but not necessarily the lowest prices.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:37 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,797,090 times
Quote:
Does anyone else think Safeway might be a potential purchaser? They're the largest grocer in the country and have very little geographic overlap - in the Washington DC area where Harris Teeter has just a couple of stores.
Harris Teeter has a lot more than a couple of stores in the DC area - more like 2 dozen!

Old 02-15-2013, 11:46 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,449,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
I've heard good things about, but not yet tried Amazon's Subscribe and Save service which offers free shipping. It sounds like they offer good, but not necessarily the lowest prices.
I do that as well, but there are many things you can't get from Amazon. Plus, you generally have to buy in bulk.

Can you tell I don't like to spend time in the grocery store??

Old 02-16-2013, 10:10 AM

5,896 posts, read 6,963,646 times
Quote:
Wegmans which is privately held is probably too small to ingest Harris Teeter.
WPTF reported yesterday that Wegmans stated they have no interest in purchasing HT.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:15 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,623,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
WPTF reported yesterday that Wegmans stated they have no interest in purchasing HT.
Not at all surprising.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:09 PM

21,025 posts, read 27,270,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
God I hope Publix doesn't take over HT. For me, Publix means horrible produce, lackluster bakery/prepared foods and 11PM closing times. No thank you.
I read several negative comments about Publix and will disagree with them. Publix is a decent chain with quality products and services, excellent customer service and bright clean stores. As other chains close their doors, Publix finds ways to open more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StMichael929 View Post
No Lowes Food fans here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
My son worked there for years.

A loser of a store.
I have been to two Lowe's Foods seven years ago. They were nice stores, but not as nice or as good as Harris Teeter. Both Lowe's Foods and Food Lion have similar shortcomings such as service, lacking in-store pharmacies, etc.

Harris Teeter and Ingle's are the only grocers in North Carolina I shop at.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:28 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,702,154 times
Quote:
Wegmans which is privately held is probably too small to ingest Harris Teeter. Wegmans has 81 stores to HT's 211. How could they raise enough capital to make the purchase?

Does anyone else think Safeway might be a potential purchaser? They're the largest grocer in the country and have very little geographic overlap - in the Washington DC area where Harris Teeter has just a couple of stores.
I don't see Safeway as a potential purchaser. They just took a drubbing in the Philadelphia market. Genuardi's - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Publix has said they aren't interested & will build their own stores. Right now it looks like Kroger, Ahold, & 2 holding companies are in the running.

I really don't care. I shop at Ingles & Aldi.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:57 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,916,620 times
After YEARS of waiting for a Harris Teeter close by so I could kick the north Durham crappy Kroger to the curb, an HT is under construction off Ninth St. literally in walking/biking distance to my house, and right near Whole Foods to boot.

As an Orlando area native, I would be thrilled to see Publix come in, but it sounds like that's not in the cards.

Were Kroger to take over, I'd be mortified and annoyed, to say the least. Especially since Durham already has, what, five or so Krogers. There's no way they would need all those stores plus the soon-to-be-five Harris Teeters, so we'd probably end up with several unanchored shopping centers out of the deal to boot.

Kroger's stores are filthy, we end up with expired products frequently, and most (not all) of the staff are surly.

Frustrating to see HT, which ranks with Publix as one of the top groceries in the country, succumbing to the numbing low-price power of Wal-Mart competition, which has driven out mostly mid-market stores but now seems to be hitting upmarket, too.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:12 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,171,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
After YEARS of waiting for a Harris Teeter close by so I could kick the north Durham crappy Kroger to the curb, an HT is under construction off Ninth St. literally in walking/biking distance to my house, and right near Whole Foods to boot.

As an Orlando area native, I would be thrilled to see Publix come in, but it sounds like that's not in the cards.

Were Kroger to take over, I'd be mortified and annoyed, to say the least. Especially since Durham already has, what, five or so Krogers. There's no way they would need all those stores plus the soon-to-be-five Harris Teeters, so we'd probably end up with several unanchored shopping centers out of the deal to boot.

Kroger's stores are filthy, we end up with expired products frequently, and most (not all) of the staff are surly.

Frustrating to see HT, which ranks with Publix as one of the top groceries in the country, succumbing to the numbing low-price power of Wal-Mart competition, which has driven out mostly mid-market stores but now seems to be hitting upmarket, too.
H-T's marketing plan is working against them. I've contacted their HQ many times.

In order to bring in business, H-T is appealing to worthless coupon queens and bottom feeders with dumb promotions like triple coupons and super doubles. To fund this, H-T ridiculously overprices on other items. For example, Thomas' English Muffins are $4.19 at H-T but are around $2.25 at Wally or Super Target.

Many customers like me love H-T and are willing to pay 10-15% more for clean stores and great service but not 50% more to support the coupon queens.

If H-T would do more reasonable regular prices and no more coupon queen deals, Walmart and Target wouldn't be serious competitors for H-T's market segment.

Kroger sure would be a bad fit for H-T and Ahold turned Food Lion into a useless store with nothing to offer.

Hope it's Publix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary