Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2013, 07:30 AM

173 posts, read 313,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
Like any mature business grocery stores have a pattern and a highly evolved and tuned systems. So when HT decides to sell their stores to another company with another system, the folks that are gonna suffer are the consumers. They are gonna shoe horn HT in "publix" model/system and there are going to be gaps and it's gonna be the shoppers who lose out. I hope it doesn't happen.

I have read several posts in this thread regarding price comparison with other retails like Walmart or the cheaper grocery stores. There is better quality, better compensated staff, and just more put into those higher market stores. You don't have to appreciate it, but you can't deny it. Well I am sure you can deny it, nvm walmart people march onward to outsource jobs and china. You will be the same people that complain when they get a 3rd world customer support person on the phone for their discount cell plan.
Not true - Wegmans prices are consistently lower than the competition, but their stores are better than HT, they pay/treat their employees very well, and their customer service is excellent. HT is just expensive - there is no way around it. For whatever reason, their prices are just plain higher than anyone else in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 07:55 AM

810 posts, read 1,450,304 times
Harris Teeter is the quality supermarket in this area, but one of the first things I learned when I moved here is that people down here don't like quality -- many of them are downright hostile to it. So as nice as Harris Teeter is, they're not suited for here.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:14 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio View Post
Harris Teeter is the quality supermarket in this area, but one of the first things I learned when I moved here is that people down here don't like quality -- many of them are downright hostile to it. So as nice as Harris Teeter is, they're not suited for here.
I'm from here.

I always shop HT.

They aren't unsuitable for "down here." Many who shop discount aren't from around here. Maybe the influx of bargain shoppers has made HT less suitable for "down here?"

Old 02-19-2013, 08:24 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,679,477 times
I personally don't care about the ambiance of any store when I'm shopping for boxed/canned/packaged/frozen goods so I'm going to head to the least expensive store for those items. (Walmart neighborhood store, Kroger, Lowes) Meat and produce...sure, the store needs to be clean. HT is the last place we choose to shop due to their pricing on all items. Fresh Market trumps them for produce and their meat prices are comparable, but to me higher quality. As for people "down here" not liking quality...why, I can't even.....

Old 02-19-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
I personally don't care about the ambiance of any store when I'm shopping for boxed/canned/packaged/frozen goods so I'm going to head to the least expensive store for those items. (Walmart neighborhood store, Kroger, Lowes) Meat and produce...sure, the store needs to be clean. HT is the last place we choose to shop due to their pricing on all items. Fresh Market trumps them for produce and their meat prices are comparable, but to me higher quality. As for people "down here" not liking quality...why, I can't even.....
I can't be fussed to drive all over town for bargains. Wastes gas. Adds pollution.

We shop at HT. And Fresh Market. If I happen to be in Target and need staple items or what have you, I'll buy them there.

I can't recollect the last time I set foot in a Walmart.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:51 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,679,477 times
Nice thing is that all of these stores are within 2 miles of my house. One loop gets 'em all.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:02 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,254,457 times
Quote:
Interesting perception. Not sure I'd consider it reality.

I'm from NC and I shop HT, as well, along with Lowes Foods.

As to HT being "suited for here", they originated in NC. So, if they aren't suited for here, where???

Vicki

Old 02-19-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
Nice thing is that all of these stores are within 2 miles of my house. One loop gets 'em all.
See? That makes sense.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:00 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,293,986 times
Quote:
Harris Teeter is the quality supermarket in this area, but one of the first things I learned when I moved here is that people down here don't like quality
Can you send me a DM the next time you hang out with your friends down here? I'd love to join you to witness the spectacle! I am fascinated by the perspectives they share with you. I can only imagine that they are:

A) Drunk all the time
B) Have an IQ of 2
C) Are just pulling your leg

There really is no other plausible explanation for why you are consistently and repeatedly fed such drivel and misinformation about this area!

Last edited by North_Raleigh_Guy; 02-19-2013 at 10:20 AM.. Reason: Spelling. Booyah!

Old 02-19-2013, 10:11 AM

43,314 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Can you send me a DM the next time you hang out with your friends down here? I'd love to join you to witness the spectacle! I am fascinated by the perspectives they share with you. I can only imagine that they are:

A) Drunk all the time
B) Have and IQ of 2
C) Are just pulling your leg

There really is no other plausible explanation for why you are consistently and repeatedly fed such drivel and misinformation about this area!
Still riding that sugar high from the KK Challenge, NRG?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary