Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2013, 01:02 PM

746 posts, read 1,243,010 times

Advertisements

Dont count on it, what do all these companies have in common?

Abercrombie
Fashion Bug
Blockbuster
Sears
Ritz/Wolf Camera
Payless
Best Buy
Gap
Espirit

They are all closing their doors this year in 2013.
Good thing the economy is "improving"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 02:02 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,449,222 times
If a store doesn't sell what the market demands, they will go out of business even when the economy is booming.

I'm not sure about all of the stores on your list, but I know that at least some of them are inaccurate.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:35 PM

794 posts, read 1,325,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky1 View Post

Abercrombie
Fashion Bug
Blockbuster
Sears
Ritz/Wolf Camera
Payless
Best Buy
Gap
Espirit

Best Buy isn't going out of business. A friend of mine is in management with them. Perhaps they are closing a store here and there, but they aren't going out of business.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:28 PM

89 posts, read 135,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
Anyone but Kroger!
How bout Food Lion

Old 02-22-2013, 07:38 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,621,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westvirginiafan1 View Post
How bout Food Lion
Tough one! I think the Food Lion by me is possibly nicer than the Kroger, so it's a toss-up!

Old 02-22-2013, 07:45 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
How bout Food Lion
Our Strategy
Convert them all to "Bottom Dollar?"

Old 02-22-2013, 08:02 PM

89 posts, read 135,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
Tough one! I think the Food Lion by me is possibly nicer than the Kroger, so it's a toss-up!
You haven't seen a nice Kroger here in the Triangle, at least I haven't. As for Food Lion, there is one decent one in my area, and that's at Riverwood in Johnston Co., most of the other ones suck royally.
The brand new Super Kroger near Roanoke Va was nicer than ANY grocery store I have ever been to in Raleigh - that includes HT, etc. - not even close..........

Old 02-22-2013, 08:12 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,621,918 times
Quote:
You haven't seen a nice Kroger here in the Triangle, at least I haven't. As for Food Lion, there is one decent one in my area, and that's at Riverwood in Johnston Co., most of the other ones suck royally.
Oh I didn't mean the Kroger by me is nice.. because it isn't. I've shopped there maybe 3 times in nearly 5 years? The Food Lion isn't much better, but they do seem cleaner since starting their "We now have cleaner aisles!" advertising campaign. Now, if they would just stop shouting "Welcome to Food Lion!" when I walk in the door (which is very rarely, thank goodness!).

Old 02-23-2013, 12:14 AM

1,355 posts, read 2,680,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky1 View Post

Abercrombie
Fashion Bug
Blockbuster
Sears
Ritz/Wolf Camera
Payless
Best Buy
Gap
Espirit

Abercrombie & Fitch has been closing stores in malls that aren't considered upscale, because the company consideres itself "upscale." They've done this since 2010 and will have closed 180 stores by 2015. Nothing to do with the companies performance.

What is hell is Fashion Bug?

Blockbuster has been basically non-existent for years.

Sears and K-Mart have been in decline for years as well.

Best Buy is closing 15 Canada stores and a list of U.S. stores to increase profit.

GAP is looking into China for growth of it's 15 stores, compared to the 189 of the 1,011 stores currently open.

Espirit isn't even a U.S. comapany.

My point is, just because companies have closed locations doesn't mean the economy isn't improving.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:06 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
WPTF reported yesterday that Wegmans stated they have no interest in purchasing HT.
Glad I didn't have to be the one to break it to them. When we lived down there my wife was one of the most ardent "Wegmans WILL eventually come to NC" fanatics. It's just not in the cards. They're a northeastern/mid-atlantic regional chain. They are very much quality over quantity when it comes to stores. The stores they do have tend to be huge and fancy; but they don't build that many of them very often. That's how they keep their prices relatively low, and their employee benefits and customer service exceptionally high.

HT is a fairly high-end store so I can only imagine when/if they sell...it will be to a high end buyer. Nobody is going to "downgrade" them to Food Lion status. When we've visited Florida and been to Publix down there....it felt very much like HT except a little more cluttered/less open space. Seeing as the existing stores layout probably won't change too much if someone else buys them; seems like if any large regional chain Publix would be the best fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary