Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 07:53 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,918,694 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a place that preferably roasts their own coffee beans, will grind it fairly course for a French press, also preferably in small amounts, because I want to sample a few.

I'm seeing good things about "Counter Culture Coffee" on Alston Ave., but maybe that's more of a warehouse - doesn't look like they even have a storefront so I'm not sure.

Any help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 08:35 PM

6,824 posts, read 9,059,808 times
Joe Van Gogh is pretty good:

1104 B Broad Street
Durham, NC 27705

I would call them but grinding beans seems like something they would do.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:21 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsbadmojo View Post
I'm looking for a place that preferably roasts their own coffee beans, will grind it fairly course for a French press, also preferably in small amounts, because I want to sample a few.

I'm seeing good things about "Counter Culture Coffee" on Alston Ave., but maybe that's more of a warehouse - doesn't look like they even have a storefront so I'm not sure.

Any help?
Zitsky gave you a good suggestion. I have bean to a few Joe Va Gogh locations and they usually have loose beans that you can buy in any portion of a lb and they will grind them to order. You can also get Counter Culture coffee by the bag at several local coffee shops. They only place I know of that has containers of loose counter culture beans (meaning you don't have to buy a full bag) is Parker and Otis in Durham. You can also go to Whole Foods. They usually have loose beans from locally roasted Joe Van Gogh, Counter Culture, and Larry's beans and a grinder.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:37 AM

97 posts, read 190,466 times
If you're really concerned about freshness, get yourself a burr grinder and do it at home immediately before brewing.

Take it from an espresso geek...there's really no sense in tracking down the freshest beans (which *are* critical) only to pre-grind and store, as ground coffee ages (oxidizes) way faster than whole. Also, store air/light tight at room temp, never freeze.

Counter Culture is a favorite, and they put the roast date on the bottom of every bag (look for within the week). Available at lots of groceries (usually Fresh or Weaver St. Markets for me). And if not CC, then direct from a roaster (Carrboro Coffee Co/Open Eye).

Old 03-15-2013, 02:17 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
[quote=dookie1;28676858]If you're really concerned about freshness, get yourself a burr grinder and do it at home immediately before brewing.

Take it from an espresso geek...there's really no sense in tracking down the freshest beans (which *are* critical) only to pre-grind [\QUOTE]

Truer words were never spoken!

Old 03-15-2013, 05:38 AM

843 posts, read 2,100,794 times
I'll say Joe Van Gogh also. They have always asked if I need it ground, so I imagine they do it.

Southern Season has a really nice selection of coffees. They have some good sales usually too.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:02 AM

387 posts, read 638,222 times
A fairly good local roaster that is less well-known that Counter Culture/Larry's/Joe Van is 8th Sin Coffee. They're in east Raleigh off New Hope, and have a fairly comprehensive website. You can pick up coffee at the roast house, so freshness would not be an issue. Also, there's a new roaster in North Raleigh, the Raleigh Coffee Company. I think they've only been roasting a few months, so probably not as much variety as more well-known roasters while they build their business.

With that said, completely agree with what all the above are saying about not pre-grinding beans. I purchased a burr grinder a few months ago, and the difference in the coffee is amazing!

Old 03-15-2013, 06:04 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,155,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie1 View Post
If you're really concerned about freshness, get yourself a burr grinder and do it at home immediately before brewing.

Take it from an espresso geek...there's really no sense in tracking down the freshest beans (which *are* critical) only to pre-grind and store, as ground coffee ages (oxidizes) way faster than whole. Also, store air/light tight at room temp, never freeze.

Counter Culture is a favorite, and they put the roast date on the bottom of every bag (look for within the week). Available at lots of groceries (usually Fresh or Weaver St. Markets for me). And if not CC, then direct from a roaster (Carrboro Coffee Co/Open Eye).
This this this. Especially for a French press. There is no sense having coffee for a French press ground before you're going to use it. I sold many a grinder to people who came into the coffee shop wanting coffee ground for their French press at home by brewing them a pot of freshly ground and a pot of ground coffee that had been sitting around for a week or two in order to show them the difference.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:55 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,918,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie1 View Post
A burr grinder is absolutely on my radar, but as you know, you can spend $40 on a burr grinder, and you can spend $400 on one. I'm not even sure yet that I'm going to love French press coffee - I'm just getting into it. The press itself wasn't a huge expense, so if I decide it isn't for me, no big loss.

That's exactly why I specified that I was looking for someone that would sell small amounts. There may be a difference between 'ground a minute ago' and 'ground 4 days ago', but if kept in an airtight container (I actually have a vacuum container) it's not going to be tremendous difference. If I like it, then I'll get the grinder.

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:20 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,155,524 times
Don't waste money on an expensive burr grinder. For French press you can get away with a cheap one. I don't recommend one that has a hopper at the top unless it's made from black plastic (or you spend the time to paint/cover it) because light affects the beans. Only reason coffee shops can get away with it is the sheer volume they burn through. Something like this is all you need: Amazon.com: KRUPS 203-42 Electric Spice and Coffee Grinder with Stainless Steel Blades, Black: Kitchen & Dining

And you can pick them up at Target/Walmart/etc. As a bonus they're also great for grinding nuts/seeds/etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary