Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 10:17 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,537,656 times

Advertisements

My suggestion is to rent for a year and then you will know where you want to live, if you want to live there. Personally I think the RTP is better than Charlotte, however many do not.

You can use a service like 1-800-Pack-Rat to store some furniture and move some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 10:24 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,589,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
... We decided to downsize to a one level home ...
I'm living in the house I bought 29 years ago. It has three levels and lots of stairs. In 1984 stairs were a non-problem. Back then I didn't realize I was buying my retirement home.

In choosing a retirement home, avoid stairs!

Old 11-27-2013, 10:55 AM

166 posts, read 419,068 times
Some thoughts based on my recent experiences shopping for homes for both my parents and my best friend's parents in Cary.

1) Right now, desirable homes are selling FAST
2) Ranchers and homes with few stairs sell at a premium, probably because of retiree demand
3) Expect to put in full-price offers, as competition is fierce
4) Don't expect to find a home right away. Scan the listings every day and be ready to jump when something appears.

My friends parents found a place that they really liked, but they tried to get a bargain and offered less than the asking price and lost it to a higher offer. Luckily, they found another home 5 months later that they liked almost as much. This time, they went with a full price offer and got it.

Last edited by RedZin; 11-28-2013 at 07:51 AM.. Reason: No realtor site URLs/recommendations.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:07 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,727,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancB View Post
yet something that did not get very much snow.
You'll love Raleigh as we rarely if ever get snow.

Old 11-28-2013, 07:40 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancB View Post
Does Containment Area mean "Containment Area for Relocated Yankees"? I read that somewhere in these posts.
We would both feel very comfortable coming to an area that had some folks from "home" there. My husband is not hard to spot as a New Englander because he always wears T-shirts and Ball caps with the Red Sox, Patriots, Bruins or Celtics written all over them. He is forever getting stopped and asked where he is from.
NancB
No, "Countless Anal Retentive Yuppies" is the true definition of C-A-R-Y.

Old 11-28-2013, 07:43 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by builder24car View Post
You'll love Raleigh as we rarely if ever get snow.
You won't if unlighted, poorly designed roads, and sparse public transit cause you grief as you age and night vision, etc declines.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:37 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,310,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkrick View Post
Some thoughts based on my recent experiences shopping for homes for both my parents and my best friend's parents in Cary.

1) Right now, desirable homes are selling FAST
2) Ranchers and homes with few stairs sell at a premium, probably because of retiree demand
3) Expect to put in full-price offers, as competition is fierce
4) Don't expect to find a home right away. Scan the listings every day and be ready to jump when something appears.
^^Presenting the birth of the next bubble!

Old 11-29-2013, 11:14 PM

579 posts, read 522,263 times
You might want to check out the Watts Hillandale section of Durham. Any streets that border the golf course or are two blocks away. Most of the homes there are single story bricks or bungalows. Nice layouts and very close to all amenities. These streets are very quiet but never more than a ten minute drive to any type of store. In addition you would be close to Duke hospital and all their services especially the ones geared to an aging couple. And they are in your price range. The added benefit is that Durham is booming and any house you buy there will appreciate. The area is safe.

Also there is a street in Raleigh called Rue Sans Famille which is close to Rex Hospital and Lake Boone shopping center which while not a controlled 55 plus community is especially designed to be for older residents, hence the name of the street which in French means "street without family/children." Heaven for a dog lover. NO TRAFFIC! It's a circular street with small cul de sacs and you simply can't drive faster than 20 miles an hour there. About 100 homes there, each unique, and maybe 90 percent retired. Love this street.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:28 PM

191 posts, read 276,101 times
I'm sorry, but why in the world would you relo from AZ to NC to retire!?! The income taxes here are among the highest in the country... nearly 2x as high as in AZ... but you get NOTHING for it here! At least in Taxachusetts or Minnesotax or Calitaxnoria you get the benefit of a reach-around LOL!

Plus you think it's hot in Phoenix/Flagstaff... wait 'till you enjoy our 95-degree, 70% humidity August days... heat index = 120 (but feels like 130 in AZ - trust me, I've been there many times)!

My simple advice... DON'T DO IT! If you have grand kids here, then suggest you visit in spring and fall as we do have that over AZ ;-)...

Old 12-01-2013, 04:46 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad99 View Post
I'm sorry, but why in the world would you relo from AZ to NC to retire!?! The income taxes here are among the highest in the country... nearly 2x as high as in AZ... but you get NOTHING for it here! At least in Taxachusetts or Minnesotax or Calitaxnoria you get the benefit of a reach-around LOL!

Plus you think it's hot in Phoenix/Flagstaff... wait 'till you enjoy our 95-degree, 70% humidity August days... heat index = 120 (but feels like 130 in AZ - trust me, I've been there many times)!

My simple advice... DON'T DO IT! If you have grand kids here, then suggest you visit in spring and fall as we do have that over AZ ;-)...
Are you related to Saturnfan?
You both spew negativity about NC.

I just looked at multiple posts you've written in the last several months and pretty much every single one is negative.
If it's so bad here, why have you stayed for 10 years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary