Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 09:29 AM

644 posts, read 841,645 times

Advertisements

Get a lawyer. This speed limit is too high. And, you are lucky that you have Illinois License. In NC, speeding over 15mph results in a license suspension for 30 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 09:32 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiho View Post
Get a lawyer. This speed limit is too high. And, you are lucky that you have Illinois License. In NC, speeding over 15mph results in a license suspension for 30 days.
I don't know if the o.p. is necessarily lucky considering the fact the car has been registered in NC for the past 2 years which brings the question of why hasn't the o.p.'s license been changed? That could be another ticket.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:40 AM

6 posts, read 5,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
I don't know if the o.p. is necessarily lucky considering the fact the car has been registered in NC for the past 2 years which brings the question of why hasn't the o.p.'s license been changed? That could be another ticket.
I am a contractor and move state to state every year... This is first time i am in NC for 2 yrs.. Don't know when can be the next move... Just renewed my Illinois license 6 months ago..

Old 07-08-2014, 01:14 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbarora View Post
I am a contractor and move state to state every year... This is first time i am in NC for 2 yrs.. Don't know when can be the next move... Just renewed my Illinois license 6 months ago..

Regardless of how often you move the state of North Carolina requires you by law to obtain a NC driver's license within 60 days. You must obtain a NC driver's license before registering a vehicle. So actually you have broken 2 laws.

NCDOT: New to NC or Moving?

Old 07-08-2014, 05:13 PM

621 posts, read 981,663 times
Doesn't IL require you to be living at the address noted on your DL?

Old 07-08-2014, 06:52 PM

6 posts, read 5,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by local2rtp View Post
Doesn't IL require you to be living at the address noted on your DL?
we have house there and my family still lives there... I travel back n forth biweekly

Old 07-09-2014, 07:31 AM

644 posts, read 841,645 times
OP - don't worry about what some of the posters have to say on this topic. Meet with a lawyer. They usually entertain calls for free to tell you what they can probably get you (I think a reduced speed limit/improper equipment).

Old 07-09-2014, 08:16 AM

342 posts, read 872,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiho View Post
OP - don't worry about what some of the posters have to say on this topic. Meet with a lawyer. They usually entertain calls for free to tell you what they can probably get you (I think a reduced speed limit/improper equipment).
No improper equipment in Wake put probably can it it reduced to 44 and call it a day after paying some pretty big fines and court costs.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:16 AM

24 posts, read 79,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbarora View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Regardless of how often you move the state of North Carolina requires you by law to obtain a NC driver's license within 60 days. You must obtain a NC driver's license before registering a vehicle. So actually you have broken 2 laws.

You can get around this by keeping your car registered in your home state same as your DL and just get a NC ID with your address here in NC.

When I first moved to Raleigh I made the mistake of registering my car here while keeping my VA DL and I got a few tickets because of that. The law does state that you can keep your out of state DL if you obtain a NC state ID. You just have to tell them that your home or residence is out of state where your car is registered.

No way I'll ever register my car in NC. Taxes are twice as much as in VA.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:37 AM

871 posts, read 3,017,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominator Human View Post
You can get around this by keeping your car registered in your home state same as your DL and just get a NC ID with your address here in NC.

When I first moved to Raleigh I made the mistake of registering my car here while keeping my VA DL and I got a few tickets because of that. The law does state that you can keep your out of state DL if you obtain a NC state ID. You just have to tell them that your home or residence is out of state where your car is registered.

No way I'll ever register my car in NC. Taxes are twice as much as in VA.
Here is the wording of "the law":

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary