Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 08:37 AM

12 posts, read 28,542 times

Advertisements

Hey New England! I too was born in New England and North Carolina awaits me in the next few months.
I have lived in downtown Boston, MA, Hoboken, NJ and Trumbull, CT.
North Carolina will be my resting place as my kids will too. I have 3 little ones

My question to you is" what were YOUR reasons for moving South" to NC?

Id' have to say:
-----------------------------
Weather
More job opportunities for my husband
Southern Hospitality
Many communities
Great Colleges
Newer homes and location
House Taxes are cheaper
Cost of Living

Did I miss anything?

Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 08:55 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,280,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellamarch5 View Post
Hey New England! I too was born in New England and North Carolina awaits me in the next few months.
I have lived in downtown Boston, MA, Hoboken, NJ and Trumbull, CT.
North Carolina will be my resting place as my kids will too. I have 3 little ones

My question to you is" what were YOUR reasons for moving South" to NC? I was born here.

Id' have to say:
-----------------------------
Weather
It gets cold here, too. And, it's really hot and humid in summer.
More job opportunities for my husband
What does he do? There are other people here who also want those jobs.
Southern Hospitality
Most areas in the Triangle have a high proportion of transplants, many from the NE... so, the Southern Hospitality you see when you vacation here and/or on The Andy Griffith Show don't really exist to that degree here.
Many communities
Is that not true everywhere that has larger concentrations of people?
Great Colleges
Well, yes. We have that. But, so do hundreds of other places.
Newer homes and location
Bingo. You want a new house? Come build one. Please don't build an ugly one, though. p.s. Don't cut down all the trees.
House Taxes are cheaper
And vehicle taxes are yearly. And less public services are offered due to paying less taxes.
Cost of Living
Depends. Do you rely on public transportation? Ours isn't really great. Do you rely on unions, social programs, etc? We have little to none of that.

Did I miss anything?
Where do you stand on bagels, pizza, and is BBQ a noun or a verb to you?

Thank you!!!
See my answers above.

ETA: Have you ever been here for longer than a drive-through or a beach weekend?

Old 01-28-2016, 09:07 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,386,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
See my answers above.

ETA: Have you ever been here for longer than a drive-through or a beach weekend?
I think the OP was looking for responses from other New Englanders.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:10 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,280,555 times
- Less traffic, people seem to be slightly more considerate on the roads.
- Convenience - a 30 minute drive is now a long drive.
- The house I bought here would cost 400k more in NE.
- The RE taxes I pay here would be about 120% more.
- My salary is only 10% less.
- Winter is a breeze here
- Good schools, good hospitals

Old 01-28-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
See my answers above.

Thanks for the input.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:37 AM

149 posts, read 149,477 times
I moved here after twenty years in Boston, looking for a warmer climate (I'm originally from the South), friendlier people, and a MUCH lower cost of living. I have good friends in the area, and am within driving distance of my parents for the first time since college. I was looking for big change, a whole new life, and instead, here is what happened:

I found myself deeply homesick for Boston and big city life, and realized that, for a single, child-free person in her forties, who works alone and lives alone, the Triangle may not be the best fit. Coming from Boston, the Triangle feels like Mayberry (thanks to another poster for that analogy).

The weather and cost of living, as expected, are a vast improvement, and I am thrilled at the friendly openness of the locals. However, the sterile, featureless shopping plazas, the endless suburban sprawl, and the limited, pedestrian-free downtown areas of Durham and Raleigh are just not for me. I am a city person through and through, I have realized.

If you are coming down here with a spouse and family, and are looking for good schools, affordable housing, better climate, you couldn't do better than North Carolina. You would be in a completely different demographic than myself, and so would (I expect) have a completely different experience.

Good luck! Your first winter here you will laugh out loud when you hear folks complaining about the cold, and it's 40 degrees.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:37 AM

341 posts, read 297,713 times
It sucks here and there's nothing to do. Cold in the winter. Hot in the summer.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
- Less traffic, people seem to be slightly more considerate on the roads.
- Convenience - a 30 minute drive is now a long drive.
- The house I bought here would cost 400k more in NE.
- The RE taxes I pay here would be about 120% more.
- My salary is only 10% less.
- Winter is a breeze here
- Good schools, good hospitals
thank you!

Old 01-28-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcginty74 View Post
I moved here after twenty years in Boston, looking for a warmer climate (I'm originally from the South), friendlier people, and a MUCH lower cost of living. I have good friends in the area, and am within driving distance of my parents for the first time since college. I was looking for big change, a whole new life, and instead, here is what happened:

I found myself deeply homesick for Boston and big city life, and realized that, for a single, child-free person in her forties, who works alone and lives alone, the Triangle may not be the best fit. Coming from Boston, the Triangle feels like Mayberry (thanks to another poster for that analogy).

The weather and cost of living, as expected, are a vast improvement, and I am thrilled at the friendly openness of the locals. However, the sterile, featureless shopping plazas, the endless suburban sprawl, and the limited, pedestrian-free downtown areas of Durham and Raleigh are just not for me. I am a city person through and through, I have realized.

If you are coming down here with a spouse and family, and are looking for good schools, affordable housing, better climate, you couldn't do better than North Carolina. You would be in a completely different demographic than myself, and so would (I expect) have a completely different experience.

Good luck! Your first winter here you will laugh out loud when you hear folks complaining about the cold, and it's 40 degrees.
hhahahha, I heard the town closed down...but it did here for a day as well.

I am sure I will miss my old stomping grounds (Boston, Ma) but yeah, like you said- I agree.

Thank you so much!!! Best of luck to you too!

Old 01-28-2016, 10:34 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,275,862 times
Somebody please lighten up this thread. So far its pretty depressing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary