Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2017, 05:38 AM

4,264 posts, read 4,718,236 times

Advertisements

In 1999 there was a proposal to designate US 1 between Cary and Sanford as I-140. The proposal was rejected, and the 140 number was subsequently assigned to the Wilmington bypass. I'm surprised that the powers-at-be in Sanford, Southern Pines, and Pinehurst haven't tried again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 02:45 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,723,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
In 1999 there was a proposal to designate US 1 between Cary and Sanford as I-140. The proposal was rejected, and the 140 number was subsequently assigned to the Wilmington bypass. I'm surprised that the powers-at-be in Sanford, Southern Pines, and Pinehurst haven't tried again.
If they upgrade 1 down to Rockingham and bypass the towns along the way, there's a ready-made I-87 right there.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:03 PM

378 posts, read 419,400 times
I-42 needs to be extended longer towards Augusta or Macon. It's too short to have a two-digit interstate to run in one state.

I-87 is okay though.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slay The Great View Post
I-42 needs to be extended longer towards Augusta or Macon. It's too short to have a two-digit interstate to run in one state.

I-87 is okay though.
42 isn't positioned to run north-south.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:29 PM

378 posts, read 419,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
42 isn't positioned to run north-south.
Then I don't know where it should go then. lol. Maybe with US-64?

Old 09-15-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slay The Great View Post
Then I don't know where it should go then. lol. Maybe with US-64?
Honestly -- and this is my opinion but probably someone else's as well -- I-42 should never have been commissioned to that route. Clayton to Morehead City isn't exactly a high-demand route of national or even macroregional importance.

US 64 could end up being an odd-numbered spur route of I-87, though. Who doesn't like the Outer Banks?

Old 09-15-2017, 10:16 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,829,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
Honestly -- and this is my opinion but probably someone else's as well -- I-42 should never have been commissioned to that route. Clayton to Morehead City isn't exactly a high-demand route of national or even macroregional importance.
I'll have to respectfully disagree here. US-70 is the most heavily traveled East-West corridor in eastern NC and is a major freight corridor as well as an important evacuation route from the Crystal Coast, never mind the two military bases, Seymour Johnson AFB and Cherry Point MCAS. The I-42 number is debatable, but US-70 definitely warrants interstate status, IMO.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:48 AM

4,264 posts, read 4,718,236 times
I-42 and I-87 are on the edge of credibility, but at least there's a rationale for them in the context of the "Eisenhower National System of Interstate and Defense Highways".

I-16 is about the same length. Craven and Carteret have about as much population as Savannah in the mid-1950s when it was put on the system.

Old 09-16-2017, 12:35 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,411,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bass_player View Post
This

and this

Trying to explain this to my inlaws who just moved down is like pulling teeth. People keep getting lost and turned around.

Part of the problems is that Atlanta has huge sprawl. I just hope that the RDU area doesn't end up like this.

We need more public transportation, like the light rail.
Good luck .... nc is all about unecessary highways... nc is already turning into a giant parking lot. RDU is sprawled out a whole lot and is only getting worse as evidenced by where you live... Clayton nc... far from Raleigh yet getting torn up. Before you know it Rocky mount and wilson become part of Raleigh. You would think people would look to the future and realize eventually... probably within this century... high speed rail will begin taking place of these highways... what you will end up is with a bunch of failed decaying towns on the side of a highway.

Lm117, please explain to me what purpose these highways serve? Is there a dire need for them? Or is this just more terrible "economic " development... if you could call gas stations and cookie cutter neighborhoods that. NC should focus on more public transportation, better use of land, and protection of our wildlife and farm areas, rather than giving the poor folks out east gas stations lets give them more money in schools and health care... Time to develop for the future not the past 50 years...

Old 09-16-2017, 03:08 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,829,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Lm117, please explain to me what purpose these highways serve? Is there a dire need for them? Or is this just more terrible "economic " development... if you could call gas stations and cookie cutter neighborhoods that.
Your description better suits the I-87 corridor, which is nothing more than a way to connect eastern NC to the Port of Virginia in Norfolk, so you would be right in this case. The whole "Raleigh-Norfolk" connection was nothing more than a smokescreen to get it through Congress as part of the FAST Act that passed in 2015. It's quicker to take US-64/I-95/US-58 to get to Hampton Roads from Raleigh than it is US-64/US-17.

On the other hand US-70 (I-42), in addition to what I mentioned in my last post above, is woefully inadequate for the traffic it carries. The parts of US-70 that have not been upgraded or bypassed yet have numerous safety issues, which have led to a lot of crashes over the years.

Here's the most recent crash data available (2014-2016), as well as traffic counts for US-70.

http://www.super70corridor.com/wp-co...Crash-Data.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary